Sketchbook: Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN - Page 11

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Steph, great updates! I'm a sucker for ink drawings so this one definitely stood out to me hehe. must say I really like the marker characters as well, got a great cuteness to em. the nymph piece is really nice, love the gesture in both characters; great atmosphere and colors in the piece as well.

again great updates, so keep at it! oh and I'll definitely send you a PM regarding Soup 2 Nuts (I probably won't be applying for a few months to come, so not sure if I should wait?). a big thank you for all you've helped me with this past year or so

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Brendan: Thanks dude! That's totaly Gil Sans and I owe it to your graphic design prowess! Now that my book is wrapping up I will be cracking into the site again, so thank you heaps for the support and advice you've given me. As you can see it's made a difference!

Jester: Thank you, my lovely palindrome!

Carnifex: Thanks dude, glad to cheer you up! That's prettymuch been my expression for the last 2 weeks... work is boooring.

Sketchling: Thanks Kim! I miss ya tons, have a Creme Egg for me!

Onir: Awh, thanks man! Let me know when you want to hook up about Soup, it's never too early to start finding out info from them and getting your foot in the door.

Ok, so uber-quick update! Here's the cover design for my Comic Con book, which is available for $5 if anyone would like one:

Steph's Brain Farts (NSFW): 11/17 - Creatures and CTN

It's shaping up to be 24 full-color pages, 7''x7'' and full of my art from the last year or so. I might hit 28 pages if I bust my ass, but no promises! Drop me a PM if you'd like to get one

A super-quick papercut of a very, very talented friend of mine (wink, wink, Nonie! Honey bees 4-eva!)

And a ridiculous bit of fan art. There's a long story behind this, not worth telling I'm afraid. Just bask in its awfulness!

..and back to my book! EEK!

bakatron is offline toronto blue jays fan... i'm serious.... stop laughing at me okay??
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey steph. havent spoken to you in ages on but i will say one thing.

damn you and your talent woman. now i have to work ten times harder @#$@#

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very conceptually !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oohhh!! Oh! I can't wait for your book! I'm going to get it.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    haha,how odd,i recently started playing super smash bros again and had to beat a team of 30 something yoshis
    awesome book cover,i'd pick it up in an instant if i found it
    and nice papercut work too,damn i'll have to shape up

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey steph, like the papercut dude! and ill order one of your books where can i get one?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok. I absolutely adore your cover design for your book for comicon.
    delicious colours.. and.. a what? pug fish? kyahaha.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Morozko? Russian movie?

Is a girl from Russian movie?????

Quote Originally Posted by Steph Laberis View Post
    Holy freaking crap - I wondered why I had so many replies to my SB all of a suddent and find 5 stars - O____O I'm speechless... that means a LOT coming from me...!

But holy crap, thank you!! Ok, here we go:

Rook: Thanks! It's been tough getting myself comfortable painting with color again; I'm used to using it in vectors that it's touch not to get mud when painting. Glad you think I'm on the right track

Gryphon: Thank you! I agree the Celestial Pugs aren't intergrated all that well. I intended on coloring the rest of the buggers and giving them all the same focal point, so in the final stages I will slap on that extra layer of paper!

Mag: Thank you!

Banshax: Aw dude, I'm flattered! ^__^; Thank you! And you were right about the stars... are you the one who voted me up?

Bhanu: Actually I'm a dudette, but dude works! Thank you for the kind words and for looking! A little cute never hurt no one... *evil grin*

Silvestri: AH! Just the reaction I wanted with these (the giggling!) Glad to know they made you smile, thank you for sharing! Shoot me a heads up if you drag out your old stuff and take another pass at it

Blacky: Thank you, glad you dig

Hito: MISS YOU DUDE! Wasn't sure about an Octo-pug since I already have CuttlePug, but if scale is the issue, I may well have to make him wrecking an ocean liner...

Badger: No shame in posting on Flight! There's a very whimsical and supportive community there! Thanks for checking in, your stuff is looking great as well

Emma: I'm game if you are for November! It would be ideal if we went right after thanksgiving, since I will have a friend visiting from FLA and he'll have serious fish and sketching stoke

Laura: Thanks much!!

Poise: Mwah! I like goldfish kisses, but I'm pretty sure PugFish mouths are worse than Komodo Dragons Glad you like... and regarding the plushies, I've contacted some of my old co-workers from Hasbro to look into it. They'r enot gonna mass produce these (that's my job to find a way to do that X_x) but I should get some crucial patterning advice ^__^ If I can find a way to make these without killing myself, you'll get one! And yes, I know of Blue Sky - your man works there, no? ^_~ The pugfish are actually the result of the "sketch a day" exercise we do at work and we send sketches all around... and apparently there are some folks from Blue Sky on that mailing list. I haven't heard anything from them if there are but man, I'd give anything for freelance there...

joelhiinxman: Hahaha! Check my reply to Poise above you there I"m workin on it, will be a nice winter project for me. Thank you for the kind words ^_~

kaktuzlime: Eee! Thanks dude, that's the mission of the PugFish!

Ent: Thanks hon! Killer calendar entry by the way... ooooh, don't you boys wish you knew which one I was talking about?

Ok, um... I hope I don't start diluting my sketches, but I do have a one-shot for today. Some studies for Siamese Fighting Pugs (Bettas!) and I will prolly flesh them out more tomorrow.

However!

Celestial Pug and CuttlePug are dressing up for halloween and using their sea urch-o-lanterns to collect plankton treats! Here's my first pass at Celestial's costume... I'll give a cookie to the first person who guesses what he is. Hint: video game! And no, he's not Uma Thurman.

Finally, this is a quickie flash doodle of one of my favorite movie characters... TWO COOKIES to the person who names the move, THREE COOKIES to the one who names the character! Hint: MST3K!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Baka: Welcome back and thanks dude!

Van: Thank you!

Bio: Best beer coaster you ever had, right?

Carni: Thanks as always hon, and jeezus, that Yoshi melee always pissed me off. Then again, I was horrid at SSB

Lefran: GAH! I keep forgetting to send your book! It's on the house, don't worry - you were such a good guide in London and all

AniimA: Thanks so much! Been great seeing you 'round the girlie forums, can't wait to see more visual goodness from ya!

Nadia: HEY! You made it! And she's technically from a Finnish movie but is a Russian character. Not that you'd be the expert on that or anything, no way.

So I haven't been terribly prolific lately, not gonna lie. Work is winding down in the sense that I will be a free agent as of 9/28, so now that I feel the "senior slide" setting in, I feel like doodling rather than geting my work done. Ain't that always the way?

I've been doodling on Post-Its with various office supplies while trying to stay sane and engaged at work, here's a small sampling:

And here's the explanation for those kitty cats - though, things are chill now. Mostly.

And since I have been on a fanart kick for the last month or so, I decided it was Lauren Faust's turn with a pass on her character, Mars.

Thank you for looking guys, I hope to have something epic to show soon! Only one month until FUN-EMPLOYMENT VACATION SPECTACULAR!

Last edited by Steph Laberis; August 26th, 2007 at 05:56 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to Steph Laberis For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    post it sketches are awesome! haha bubbles are nice indeed. Great job Steph.
    Is the Mars girl mixed media, or pure digital? Textures are great.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    That mars pic is amazing that style is just fun to look at, which in itself is hard to explain.

Ev'sSketchbook for the lazy minded but willing!
    Help an artist, leave a critique.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff mate. I'm glad i've opened your SB. As a cartoonist myself i must say that i'm very impressed by your works.

Will definetly watch your thread

Cheers mate

my blog
    my thread

Follow me @atomoso

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Those post-it kitties are great! I love them.
    I'm sorry to hear about the employment stuff that's happened, but I hope you have a blast on all your trips coming up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, these are realy great..i love the cartoony-ness. and those post-it-pics are realy fun too...now....i feell........grr...MMUUSST CRRIIITT...MUUUUUUSSSTTTTT CCRRRRRRRRRIIIIITTTTTT...bah even if i knew anything about this style of art i probrably wouldnt be able to crit any of yours ..hehe.

and. "i are so buff"..haha..you should coin that as a catchphrase.

good stuff!

--sofa

Any fool can know. The point is to understand.

Thanks
    Thanked 4,155 Times in 2,281 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    characters with character & style with style

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey steph, i havent even ordered a book yet hehe! so i havent payed for you to send it lol
    Those cats and the little comic strip are really cute, and i love your last paper cut, really cool
    Oh and check your PM's, offer of free chocolate hehe
    Fran

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey steph!

im viewing this right now during class,and my seatmates were like,"wow" Those post it notes are great ! Do you still have any copies of your book left?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,441 Times in 766 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    aww dammit nice kittys man,
    Mars is looking well.......great.SOrry about the job thingie(even though I properly understand what you are saying). Well things will get better.
    Great thread.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great stuff Steph the cut out approach is pretty damn awesome. Your work conveys fun, love and warmth and all that good stuff. Keep it up!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yay platypus! The Mars girl has a lot of cute style going on too, as do all the cutouts. Hope you get reinspired soon!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't think I've told you how much I love the post-it kitties yet. And if I have, it's worth saying twice. They're just so adorable!

I hope you won't be too busy Harlem Globetrotting to make it to Seattle in December. It wouldn't be a workshop without you!

Eric

www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey steph, book arrived today!
    Thankyouuuuu :3

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're kittys rule!
    You better come to Seattle,
    it would be great to see you again!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just AWESOME!!!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    What can I say? Everything is utterly adorable. I needed this after a long day of mostly dull art. Thank you

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Einen Hah, thank you! Glad to brighten up your day with a little variety

gmags Thanks!

oomgawa Thanks hon! I am trying to work it out to make my way to Seattle, it's been like 2 years since I last saw you! Will the hubby be there too?

lefran You are most welcome dear ^_^

0kelvin Thanks so much hon! As I said, I am trying to make it work, I first have to nail down some other projects. I may have to cancel a few trips as it is ._.

Gryphon Yay, monotremes! Thanks for the well-wishes, hopefully some travel will spark the creative fires.

ashrumm Thank you so much! I'm stoked you like what I'm going after here, my SB is slowly becoming a Hallmark GReeting card gallery it seems ^_~

bhanu Thank you for the well-wishes, I am trying to look at this as a chance to *really* change my routine and the face of what I do. Hopefully I can net in a couple of interesting clients and have some more diverse stuff to show!

Dished Thanks hon! I have a book all ready for you - would you like me to mail it to the Philippines or wait until you're in the area?

Grandmassa Mr. Spect LOL, thank you! What's a character with out personality?

life on the sofa Thanks! When it comes to critting a style you're not familiar with though, never be afraid to speak up. If something just feels wrong, say it. It's helpful to me when a fresh set of eyes looks at my work and it could also expand your horizons for how you look at and break-down art.

emily g Thank you hon, I will be definitely unwinding when I hit MA. There's a county fair that demands my presence and hot apple cider with cider donuts to be consumed. I'm hoping it recharges the batteries while it expands the waistline

atmos Cheers to another cartoonist! I'm thikning of starting a lounge thread where we all can find eachother, we're a minority here but our numbers seem to be on the rise.

Evxyza92 Thanks, glad you dig!

Skeiff Mars is pure digital... mostly. I did use scans of actual paper for the texturing, but technically no paper was harmed in the creation of the image It's all just layering tricks in PS and Illustrator. I'm wondering if it's getting time for a tutorial...

OK! Here's another Post-it dump and a piece I did for Mike Mattesi's new character design book. There will be a second piece for the book which I hope to have done early this week and it will be every bit as gooey-cute; I didn't have a lot of say in the subject matter this time around >_<

Thank you for all of the support, crits and job well-wishes - wish me luck as I try to net some neato clients Thank you, as always, for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GODLIKE PAPERCUT!!!
    Okay, maybe not. but it's veery nice

Sketchbook. Treat Me Like A Moron
    I'm a dick, sometimes two. Hence my name.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    i'd hire you on the spot. god i love those kitty post-its

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Steph, is the last one cut-out imitation available as print? Does this effect of paper being cut and glued on still present in print and in big size posters? I wish I could have four of your cut outs in A4 size... I would frame them and hang them on wall. How much would it be if it is possible?

Last one is charming. the ribbon frames her so gracefully and forms wings. She is delightful and weightless, I appreciate every little detail you out in there: purposely crooked little mouth and "wrong" or "untidy" cuttings with scissors and glued on paper. The perspective from beneath and tasteful, bold colors are a wonderful addition to the image. Nothing to crit I think. everything is charming.
    I like independent tails following cats in the little comics.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 6