Angel Painting, need advice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Angel Painting, need advice

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Angel Painting, need advice

I started on this in Painter about 3 days ago and I didn't have any planning or reference so it started as some big soldier robot thing and then somehow the idea twisted greatly. Anyhow, I'm starting to like the idea a lot now - an ugly and distorted angel that tears apart demons and gets uglier in the process...and I like the pose of the angel fellow, but I'm really lost regarding what to do with the wings, how much contrast to give them, how light/dark to make them, and a lot of other issues regarding the focal point of this image. I want a really strong focal point yet also an elegant painting that you can tell what's going on in! Any input would be helpful, I'm at that point where I've been staring so long at the same thing that I no longer know what's right and wrong.

Last edited by Thanoz; January 25th, 2005 at 08:31 PM. Reason: forgot to post image!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really nice color work, a great contrast on the whole picture.

Few little things stand out at me. The angels face throws me off, his hair line, eyes and chin do not follow the same plane, each tilts it's own way, this is a little distracting. Also, I love the circle you have going with the two figures, but if you continue to highlight the sword it will lead the flow right off the page. While I don't suggest taking the sword out, be very careful with making it much lighter than it already is.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hadn't noticed the hairline issue, you're right about that and I'll fix it. The eyes I kinda like off kilter since I'm trying to make him a burn victim who's had his face slashed apart a few million times. That's a good point with the sword too, I don't intend to make the point any brighter, but I'll probably add detail to it and the rest of the picture. Thanks for the input. Any ideas with color? It's mostly monochromatic, not sure if I should keep it that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    So wheres the angel? : lol thats what i was going to post before i read what you typed above. Personally, this has some potential but you gotta fix a couple of things. Skulldog pointed out the errors with the face/head anatomy. One thing id also like to mention is the way the angel is standing in comparison to what hes doing. Im not sure whether your aiming for realism or not but the character looks as if what hes doing is a piece of cake. Carrying a weapon of that size and attempting to impale someone/thing with it is probably pretty tough (ive never done such things so i wouldnt really know lol). But i would imagine that the angel would be using more "muscle" Strength along with more of his upper body leaning more towards the victim. Making his face look as if hes "Not struggling" but actually trying would make it more realistic. Other than that i dont think theres anymore problems.

But i think you got something good here, keep working on it

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think if you just adjust the hairline, the off kilter eyes will be fine, I already get the effect his a bit malformed.

Colors, I really love the white with a hitn of red you already have. For a little more, pick up some of those red highlights from the angel's skin, tone it down just a little and continue to add touches to the rest.

I'd also almost like to see a hint of green/blue to counter the reds, I really don't know how this will work, but if you have time, make a backup file of this. Toss it into Photoshop, lasso tool some of the bottom elements, and do a shift to a slight blue/green.

Or I may be full of crap and not enough coffee at the moment.

Dead dog for sale - Skulldog Studio - Sketch Journal

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some green color contrast might be nice. As for the way he's not struggling so much, I'm trying to make him just executing an underling, it's more or less the daily grind work and he's almost bored. The only real emotion I am trying to give him at all, is the feeling that he's a bit sad about his job, and perhaps even empathizes with the demon he's killing. I dunno how well that's succeeding. I just think it's kind of interesting if your job is to mercilessly kill things all day and yet you are full of mercy, otherwise you wouldn't be in heaven, seems like a reasonably tragic situation. I mean who could really be full of righteous fury when killing some dude who's in hell because he had the tendency to forget to pay his taxes, or something equally mediocre.

Next concept I'm starting with WAY more line work so he planning is better!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haha that works too. Guess i didnt see it that way, makes sense

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.