COW #337: Halloween Celebratory Spooktacular - VOTING!

View testimonialsView Artwork

View Poll Results: Vote for your favourite Halloween beastie!

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • Rob Powell

7 41.18%
  • AdrianSandoval

0 0%
  • JB-Charakterdesign

3 17.65%
  • Wholewheat_keyboard

0 0%
  • Moirae

2 11.76%
  • fabianguiza

0 0%
  • Kristzlof

0 0%
  • Ilari Gröhn

4 23.53%
  • BenReichert

1 5.88%
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,714 Times in 661 Posts
    Follows
    Following

VOTING IS NOW OPEN! Please vote for which entry you feel best adheres to the topic's brief and requirements, based on the concept's design, creativity, execution, etc!
    If you have submitted an entry to this thread please refrain from voting for your own entries. I will deduct your vote from your entry if you do so.
    In the event of a multi-vote round please avoid voting for more than 3 or 4 entries. Votes won't be deducted if you do so, but keep in mind your vote is essentially wasted if you decide to vote for every single entry.
    You may critique and comment on the submitted entries if you like. As long as you play nice!

Round Requirements:
    Choose one topic from the following list:
    -Frankenstein's Mismatched Abominable Pet
    -Dracula's Vampiric Blood Harvester
    -Spooky Glowing Orange Ghost
    -Headless Undead Terror
    -Mutated Werebeast
    -Mummified Tomb Guardian
    -Witch's Evil Sadistic Companion
    -Grim Reaper's Soul Seeker

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Rob Powell; November 6th, 2014 at 01:08 AM.
    Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Rob Powell

Concept: Pumpkin Ghost

A mischievous ghost that mimics pumpkins and Jack-o-lanturns. It enjoys scaring kids who go trick or treating on Halloween.
    Name:  Pumpkin Ghost copy.jpg
Views: 419
Size:  324.0 KB

Art is not about competing against others and being better than everyone else, but it is about competing against yourself and discovering your greatest potential!

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rob Powell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    FinalName:  Frankenkitty2 (1).jpg
Views: 407
Size:  1.34 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: JB-Charakterdesign

Concept: Pumpkin werewolf

Name:  COW_Oktober.jpg
Views: 374
Size:  120.8 KB

7. The Following User Says Thank You to JB-Charakterdesign For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Wholewheat-keyboard

Concept: Mutated Werebeast

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Moirae
    Concept: Frankenstein's mismatched pet.

Caw - Hiss.

Name:  frankenbirdfinal.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  257.3 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: fabianguia

Concept: warty witch's familiar

Name:  witch_familiar_final.jpg
Views: 335
Size:  203.1 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Witch's warty evil black companion

Artist: Kritzlof

Concept: Witch's warty evil black companion

These small goblin-like creatures often accompanies witches to escape their natural predators and from their privileged spot they mock other animals that more often serve as ingredients for the witches potions than themselves.
    Name:  COW #337 - Halloween Celebratory Spooktacular.jpg
Views: 338
Size:  405.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ilari Gröhn

Concept: Frankenstein's Mismatched Abominable Pet

Name:  COW-#337-frankenstein's-pet-C-08.jpg
Views: 334
Size:  629.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Artist: Ben Reichert

Concept: Draculas Vampiric Blood Harvester
    Name:  bloddharvester4.jpg
Views: 329
Size:  1.39 MB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Topic is CLOSED! Poll is up and the new topic is live!

-no cuts this week-

-close to rejection-
    JB-Charakterdesign: Keep an eye on that clothing/accessories rule, but since it is a werebeast I will let it slide especially since the clothing doesn't really take away from the creature's design. Though i probably should've been more wary of this for the werebeasts, this is more of a heads up in the future.

Last edited by Rob Powell; November 6th, 2014 at 01:12 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Rob Powell: I think it has great form and feel of volume. The lighting is also very nice. Fun concept!

@AdrainSandoval: I like the head and fur, but I think the design feels a bit messy and hard to grip. For example I have a hard time understanding his front legs and feet.

@JB-Charakterdesign: I think the idea of this is very funny and it looks great! The image is a bit grey and could have hade more contrasts, but I like his expression and his bulky body form.

@Wholewheat-keyboard: Your image is very clean and appealing and I like how you did his fur! The design feels a bit wacky but it's nicely executed.

@Moirae: Cool design and nice execution! The combination of the bird, hand and snake parts is nice and freaky and the contrast and saturated colours are great!

@fabianguia: I think maybe you could've been a bit more bold with the pose and the design of it, but the rendering is really nice and clean. Maybe it could have used a bit stronger contrasts to make it pop more.

@Ilari Gröhn: I really like this! It has a good sense of depth and is well rendered. I like how the rat part just hang there and it adds to the feeling that this creature was put together without any specific purpose and more as an experiment.

@Ben Reichert: The large blood sack and atmosphere are really creepy! I do feel that some parts of the creature is a bit messy and the pose makes it a bit hard to se how the creature would move and get around.

Great work everybody!

16. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kritzlof For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Comments and critiques (I'll try to be as constructive as I can, don't want to offend anyone)

Rob Powell:
    I like the simple forms that make the creature. It has this frog-kind of feeling Very good rendering and a solid design. Maybe you could've made it a bit more transparent at some parts, to make it look more like a ghost and have less weight. Nice work anyway.

AdrianSandoval: Very interesting and flowy shape over all. For critiques I'd say the lighting doesn't feel very consistent. I guess it's lit from below and there's also a secondary back light? Because of the under-lighting it looks like it's floating, even though it clearly sits on the ground. Also, the background gets really dark and there are almost black shadows on your creature, which makes the image look a bit flat. Other than that, good job

JB-Charakterdesign: Really nice rendering and painterly look. You spent more time on the head of the creature and left the rest a bit more loose, which is very good. It would look even better if the creature stood out from the background more, as now it blends with the similar colors and values. Also the anatomy of the body is kinda hidden behind the huge arm, and the second arm isn't even visible in the image. A different position / camera angle could've fixed this problem. The idea is very good though!

Wholewheat_keyboard: This looks very different from the other designs, which is a good thing obviously :p The tail is very weird and interesting. I'd fix the posture a bit as now it looks like it's falling backwards. Maybe some more volume/mass on the body. I like the style, though. I'd like to see a full illustration with this style!

Moirae: Definitely creepy! The hands for wings is a clever idea. Maybe it lacks the Frankensteinish feel though. I mean now it looks quite coherent and not that put-together. Still cool. There's a lot of dark in the background and the creature as well, which makes it a bit hard to "read" and I can't quite tell what's happening in the torso-area. The blue touches on the feathers look nice.

fabianguiza: Nice, simple design. It would be a bit too close to a toad, but you made the head quite different so it looks more original. On the technical side, I think it lacks form because the planes of the shapes are not clearly defined. Some basic studies on painting spheres and boxes should help with that

Kritzlof: That's a nasty looking critter The lighting is nicely done and very strong but it leaves the shadow-side of the creature almost black, which again makes it difficult to "read". The anatomy gets lost if it's too dark. I guess it's the warts that emit the light? Maybe just a secondary light source from the back-left or below-left would make it more clear. Anyway, nice job!

BenReichert: This one is the creepiest in my opinion! I especially like the head of the creature. I can't quite tell what's happening in the mid-section, but I guess it's supposed to look a bit like a pile of flesh and spikes(?). There's a lot of too dark areas, like in some of the other entries. Avoid black if you can and use the low-mid values to clarify shapes in the shadow. As a concept it's very cool, one of my favorites of the bunch

18. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ilari Gröhn For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a lot!Ye i always try to make creatures as creepy as possible.Ur very right with the dark areas....the thing is my screen is total crap and it shows everything waaaaaaay to bright.So i always have to make it brighter so it wouldnt be as dark on a decent screen.But thats always guesswork and it really sucks.I need to get a new one.Its not suppoesed to be black in these areas :c
    Its supposed to only have legs on one side of its body so its movement is really impaired which i thought would add to the creepyness.The concept led to the idea of dracula having like a 1.5 meter high room underneath his castle with a diry rusty duct leading down there.Everything living would be thrown down there where these creatues live to tear everything apart and extract all the blood for their master.Maybe ill expand on this idea.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First huge thanks to Kritzlof and Ilari Gröhn – you guys both gave excellent feedback on all the art! I appreciate it greatly and I’m sure all the artists did as well! In that spirit, here is my, hopefully constructive feedback.

Rob Powell: Overall your’s was my second favorite! I think your painting skill is clearly on a higher level than any other entries. The Detail of the bumps and ridges along the pumpkin face is great It’s also a really solid design, it all fits together well and looks alive! Which is probably the most challenging part of creature design I think. The only criticism I have is pumpkins on Halloween is a little bit on the nose I think, I know that is very arbitrary but I hope it helps!

AdrianSandoval: You painted a lot of detail in this which is nice, I also like the graphic presentation. I think your’s is a bit flat perspective-wise, the head starts in 3/4 around the ears but then flattens out at the nose, it’s not terribly off but just something I noticed. I think putting more dramatic lighting and some cast shadows would help this a lot.

JB-Charakterdesign: The expression and details on the characters face is great! I like all the slobber on it haha, also it is very well rendered, it looks totally 3d to me in that part. The rest of the character doesn’t match that level of quality, which is ok, but I have no idea on the anatomy of his arm, where is the elbow? Where is the shoulder joint? I can’t tell and I think that hurts. Also I think the pants look kinda weird on this too. You clearly have a lot of painting skill, I think your anatomy needs a bit of polish (like pretty much everyone)

Moirae: This was my favorite! You did several things really well. First, I think it is very creative. The hands as wings is great! This creature is unlike anything I’ve seen before personally and you get big points for that Also I think you did a nice job with the anatomy and perspective, making it look real. I like that you kept the painting loose and not over done, but the essential forms and materials are there. Even if you don’t get many votes I think is very successful. One the down side I think the painting is a little too unrefined in some areas, along the torso for example, and the far side wing I think is a little off perspective wise, also the tongue looks really flat. Nice job overall

Fabianguia: Nice job on this one too. It’s a interesting creature, and fits the concept I think. I think this would look better if you turned it more in perspective as he also looks a bit flat, a little bit more color in the warty bits I think would look nice also. Hope that helps, nice job!

Kritzlof: Thanks for the feedback I like that yours is actually doing something and not just posing. The way he is clutching that stick is great lol. I like that it has personality which often gets overlooked in creature design. On the otherhand I think that it might read a little too cartoony, particularly in the head. It’s hard to read his form because of how much black you used. I think you should be careful with painting in black too much, as it can flatten things (like his tongue and head). I like this one, just wish I could read it better.

Ilari Gröhn: This is very well done, nice job! Also, thank you very much for the excellent feedback! You did a bunch of things really well, the anatomy, perspective and posing(if that is the right word?) was very nice. Yours looks alive and fits the concept very well. That you took the time to work out the anatomy for this was well worth it. There's not much negative to say, the wings look non functional (although I think that was intentional) and a little flat, the ears also (the interior details read kinda flat) although that is pretty nit picky. There is a lot of sophistication in your design, great job!

BenReichert: This one is very good too. Very disturbing lol! I like how grounded he looks, oozing along on the floor. I think yours needs better lighting because his forms are hard to read. I get lost trying to figure the legs out, which one is in front of which? hard to read.. I think conceptually its pretty good, it just needs to be more clearly illustrated imo. Nice job.

Last edited by Wholewheat_keyboard; November 7th, 2014 at 12:48 PM.

22. The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Wholewheat_keyboard For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Wholewheat_keyboard: Thanks a lot! I'll try to think of not being too generous with the black areas in the future.

• 424,149 Artists
  • 3,599,276 Artist Posts
  • 32,941 Sketchbooks
  • 54 New Art Jobs
Art Workshop Discount Inside
Register

Developed Actively by vBSocial.com
The Art Department
SpringOfSea's Sketchbook