Art: if only humans didnt have noses and mouths...
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: if only humans didnt have noses and mouths...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking if only humans didnt have noses and mouths...

...then i could draw eyes forever! unfortunetly, i have yet to meet a mutant of this sort, and thus must work on those offending facial features. apologies for the grainy pictures.

a practice for drawing 1

a self portrait

comments for improvement are always appriciated!

Last edited by hopeless shade; January 24th, 2005 at 03:42 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice work. i noticed u seem to be new to the forums. welcome.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree with Jens..Make sure the proportions are plotted out before u begin the render. A great reference is a mirror..it helps you notice little reminders, like the corners of your mouth usually line up with your pupils (other stuff like that!). But overall, the draughtsmanship is looking good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Jens
    The whole piece has kind of a static look, not very spontaneous.
    it would be a feat indeed if i could stare into a mirror for hours and still be spontaneous! thanks for the criticism, i appriciate it, no matter how much i may joke.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by krAmEr
    the corners of your mouth usually line up with your pupils
    yeah, thats exactly the sort of thing you discover after its too late to do much about it! thank you, though, for commenting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hehe... I know how you feel about facial features. I'm still trying to figure out how to draw them myself. Here's a book they recommend at Watt's for studying the facial features. It's only $6 and has lots of great renderings of facial features from all sorts of angles.
    The Human Figure by John H. Vanderpoel
    I bet some Bridgeman would help as well for figuring out the construction of the head as well as individual features. There's some great stuff he's done with breaking up the nose for sure. Check this book as well.
    Bridgeman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life
    Jens is right about the proportions. Try drawing your next head with a light layin of the head and features. Maybe go off of a pic. Then post the layin on here as well as the reference. Then we could for sure help you nail down your proportion issues. Plus the initial drawing is much more important than the final rendered piece so the most care should be placed there.

It's a great start otherwise. Good luck on your next head!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It's fine to do studies of individual features, but for a portrait try to address the image as a whole. One good approach is to lay down darker areas first, then refine forms from there. Look for the topography of the face, without 'seeing' the face, just forms in space.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SpazMcFlash- thanks for the advice and the books! i looked at your thread, and now i really cant wait until i can take college art classes!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    welcome to the forums! very nice renders on the individual features at the top. I have to agree with the other crits, try to see the face at once instead of in pieces. I know that sounds a little like fortune-cookie Zen, but it's not as difficult as it first seems.

bee-dubya-keo
    neoĽkeo sketchbook
    http://keo-art.blogspot.com/
    http://brendankeough.com/

East meets West sketchbooks:
    Helzon - R.I.P. Redehlert Undertow Sartell BDFoster Anticonnor

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by bwkeough
    I know that sounds a little like fortune-cookie Zen, but it's not as difficult as it first seems.
    well, fortune cookies ARE tasty, hehe. yeah, i hope that my second portrait will go over better. it should be, with all the gorgeous crits ive been recieving!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

whers land of sugar?
    i need eyebrows like u !

do some simplified studies.. helps to understand proportions faster.. also facial features are faster learned..

iv done lotsa studies.. before i draw someting i study each detail seperated... nose lips face ears forehead etc.. gives me a good idea about how and where to place my features.. becuase.. just when i change my viewpoint.. just one degree... the perspective completly changes... and these changes are subordinate to the 5 drawing rules.. what i mean is.. know the rules and u know what drawing is about * drawing evrything is also possible*

::: perspective
    ::: foreshortening
    ::: dynamic
    ::: perspective
    ::: symmetry

iv done tons of nose studys to understand the form shape and volume propper .. i used simplified shapes to.. these can show me how the final shape is alligned and setup in perspective

all facial featurses need to be alligned in same perspective.. otherwise it will look twisted.. take a look in the mirror and rotate ur head slighly up and down.. take a look at ur head silouette.. it changed each degree u rotate ur head.. take a look at ur chin and jaw.. how this shape changed.. eyes too.. lips nose.. etc all same

each of theses features can be drawn and or indicated with "one single line"
    when u know that line.. u can complexifie ur features with adding more detail *more volume complexity*

each quad.. is a part of a cube.. a cube is easy to draw and easy to allign.. but a sphere is not..

we only draw the outlines.. silouette.. but when i want to shade .. i have to be aware of all thes inner line spans and rows how keep my volume

what u can do : do some simple head studies to see how each feature is alligned.. *use some ref photos to analyse them * i can help u with this.. just pm me and ill help u *
    analyse.. and draw a few lines to indicate how each feature is oriented it depends on ur viewpoint*

lotsa things will be easier when you have done some of these
    i do stuff like that all the day.. when ever i draw .. i draw simplified and trying to find the simplified setup of my features.. and then i draw more complex

keep up ur studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    -sideshowbob- =

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey.. not bad. You obviously dont have a problem with drawing actual eyes noses etc. your first individual sketches are quite nice. But I'll give you some advice from a sculptor's point of view that might be helpfull... Always be aware what is underneath..bones and muscles.. under every portait is a skull.. on every skull is muscle.. the skin and hair are only the final layers. I know it seams teadious and complicated but get a basic idea of where these bones and muscles are.. It will help you see the more complicated subitle things in a face that will make it more convincing.... That on top of what these guys said about blocking in the basic shapes to get the proportions right is a good chunk of instruction... just practice alot of FAST "throw away" block sketches and wait till you got the proportions right before you spend all that time on the eyes and shading... your attention to detail and dicipline are there, just master these fundimentals and things will go alot easier for ya..... oh yeah if you dont already have Betty Edwards "Drawing on the Right side of the Brain"..GET IT... but for now BLOCK.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, you listen to the Dresden Dolls? I ask because your avatar is from one of their videos.

Nicely rendered. You got a lot of good crits so I don't know what to say until your next drawing. Maybe if I showed you how I did my self portrait? Hope it helps.

Ok, I'm done posting... Back to drawin'!

Ephesians 2:8
    Sketchbooks Finished: 9 (Dec 17, 2006)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckaM.C.
    But I'll give you some advice from a sculptor's point of view that might be helpfull... Always be aware what is underneath..bones and muscles.. under every portait is a skull.. on every skull is muscle..
    wow, a sculptor? thats pretty awesome, man. yeah, im gonna go splurge on a huge anatomy book and spend some quality time with it. do you have any suggestions as to what kind of books are best? knowing myself, ill just look for the cheapest...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SirRon
    Hey, you listen to the Dresden Dolls?
    aah, Dresden Dolls! yes, yes i do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh man.. dont go for the cheap anatomy books... the problem with anatomy books is that if the drawings arent simple enough it just makes it more confusing.. you dont need to know the latin names or anything... the more simple the better. If I were you I'd get "Bridgman's Complete Guide to Drawing from Life" to start with.. it really breaks down how anatomy works and all the blocking stuff we were talking about (along with great stuff on balance and rythym etc.)... you'll love that book , trust me. Also another anatomy book that alot of people dont know about , but is my favorite, is "Modeling the Figure in Clay" by Bruno Lucchesi.. (he also does a "Modeling the Head in Clay" that is good)... this book is cool because instead of drawings of anatomy he goes through and sculpts EVERY bone and EVERY muscle out of clay and then adds skin... even though he is a sculptor it really shows anatomy more clearly than anyother book I've seen. And aside from all these books you should get "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain" by Betty Edwards... that book is like my Bible.. If you get a good feel for the exercises in that book (and do them ALL) you'll be miles ahead and really prepared for College.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SuckaM.C., wow. thank you so much! i'll see if i can hit the bookstore this weekend and pick them up, they sound helpful! though i'm afraid i cant help but wish i could find them at half-price books, hehe, only good reason to live in texas!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They shouldnt be too bad... yer gonna shell out ALOT more for books at college that you will never use again... you'll use these for the rest of your life.. it's an investment. good luck. SuckaM.C.

p.s. Start with "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".. and do ALL of the exercises in it.... in order... just trust me on this, you'll love it... and it will change your entire perspective about drawing... even your life.. yeah it's THAT good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by SuckaM.C.
    it will change your entire perspective about drawing... even your life.. yeah it's THAT good.
    well of course it will change your life, its about ART, isnt it? thanks so much for the advice, i'll get on it right away. maybe even start up my own sketchbook thread!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by hopeless shade
    -sideshowbob- =
    hopeless shade =

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by -sideshowbob-
    hopeless shade =
    oh, god, i wish. actually, hopeless shade = theatre. rehearsals till nine, and they dont even have an CA icon for it! im gonna keep bringing my sketchbook backstage, though, just for if i have the opportunity.

motivation, yo!

Every time I paint a portrait I lose a friend. ~John Singer Sargent
    Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it's time to pause and reflect. - Mark Twain

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.