Art: first digital works (now some full on nudity!)

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

first digital works (now some full on nudity!)

I hope I entered these okay.
    My background is in traditional media, so as of now I am struggling to work digitally as well - and currently trying to combine both mediums.
    I guess i've been more of a spectator , but I figured maybe it's time for some people to make fun of me...

cheers all

Last edited by loomer; January 23rd, 2005 at 05:16 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well these arent a very bad start. they look really impressive. i wish i could see the process tho.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thanks man-

i can try and dig up sketches and scans, but my process isn't anything special...at least not at this early stage. Just pretty much scanning in drawings and using Painter 8 & 9 on the first image.

The second one was more complicated...I think I used every application I own ..Painter, Photoshop, Illustrator (for the decorative ornamental design thingy). The process for that was mostly me having several breakdowns in front of my cat while I struggled to get the image I had in my head on the screen. I don't know if I can relive that
    Next time - now that I have a better idea of what I'm doing - i can describe my process a bit better

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok -I'm gonna post this, so hopefully I can look back in a a couple of months and check my progress. My very first digital work ever:

just a scanned drawing in photoshop CS

my second digital work is a colored Wolverine in Painter 8 - I don't know if I have the balls to post that atrocity...maybe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    these are your first?!

can't wait to see what you'll do when you've gotten into digital art, then.

eh, where were we?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah - this are my first. But that might be misleading..I have a background in traditional painting & drawing. Here's some stuff from the past:

Both were done in oils.
    I really wanted to break away from what i was doing and try my hands at concept work, and get back into illustration. I saw that the digital medium is such a prominent tool that I knew nothing about so i am really trying to learn as much as I can. At the moment, I really want to learn how to mix both styles -traditional, and digital. I am working on something now that I really hope will work out. the most important part of all this, is that I haven't been this excited about exploring new ways to create images in years - and I feel really good about that. If I'm not such a pansy I'll try and share all my experimentations gone wrong here...maybe some good ones too! thank for looking

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    perhaps I should ask for some crits? I'm so lame - I've been writing to my own post....

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    those paintings are beautiful, but the blokes genitals dont seem to have been rendered as lovingly as the rest of the 2nd pic lol

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    LOL! Aside from being funny - you are totally right. I always thought the "handling" of the gentleman's particulars were weak. He was an interesting model -to say the least. That painting was done from life, and he - - well was a little too enthusiastic. Oh, man..
    but thanks for looking!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Too enthusiastic? Haha - we were all sharing our life drawing nightmares in the lobby at sf. Some pretty shocking stuff, let me tell you.

Your oils are amazing. I don't think it'll take you long to grasp the techniques of digital if you stick to the more painterly tools (ie painter, not photoshop). Around here, the 'fully painted' look tends to get more street cred than cartoony stuff, admittedly. But I'd really love to see what you get up to if you take a high-quality photo of an oil painting, then play with it digitally. Some of the pros on this board do that pretty extensively, and produce amazing things.

Have fun, hope to see more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Aww man...I studied art in NYC , and there are just so many characters that go into modelling. I love those whacky folks.

"Your oils are amazing" - aww geez man...While I think that's far from any truth, I am deeply flattered. In my mind - there is no better medium.

"Around here, the 'fully painted' look tends to get more street cred than cartoony stuff, admittedly." - I can kinda see that...and i would like to get to that point as well . My goal is going to be to try and combine these two styles....at least elements of both.

"take a high-quality photo of an oil painting, then play with it digitally"-
    Totally! - I just need to get some tips on photographing my paintings. Right now I am creating a painting just for that- but it's all small so it can fit on my scanner. I know John Foster's images are usually like 30 x 40" at least, and I've been a fan of his for years.
    Thanks so much for your response...Looking forward to posting more on this site.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.