Art: 3D spaceship

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: 3D spaceship

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

3D spaceship

hi hi

I made this one in cinema 4D, not exactly my first choice of modeling programs, but it was what the class was using. I tried doing a bunch with the texture, but the program made it very difficult. The model is one object of about 480 some polygons.

3D spaceship

radiosity takes too darn long.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hm... it looks pretty good...Nebula-Class meets Ambassador-Class...

Try throwing some more dynamic lighting on it, like to the make the nacelles really stand out from the saucer.

Or even better, put lights of some sort on the underside of the fronts of the nacelles that shine down in the saucer, and then just dim the ambient light.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi hi

thanks, although its not a startrek™ design. the reference was another ship i had made that was referenced in part from spaceman spiff by bill watterson. though i was mostly just running off the standard flying saucer motif, threw some engines on the back and referenced sparrows for some profile curves.
    concept sketch
    3D spaceship
    more dynamic lighting.
    3D spaceship

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The design in general seems to be missing something...more specifically, there's a lack of obvious connection between the saucer and the nacelles. (I know it isn't a Trek design, but that's a general SciFi word anyway) Like, there's a sense that the nacelles are just sort of sitting on and under the saucer, like they were made of Play-Do separately and then kind of stuck together. Here's a random brainstorm (For I was bored and have MS Paint):

3D spaceship

The addition is melded onto the aft of the saucer, is directly connected to all four nacelles and is vertically symmetrical. Like the large module on top would also be on the bottom with the pylons connecting it to the ventral nacelles. I dunno, like I said, I was bored, so if you don't like, that's totally cool.

Last edited by SJ Bennighof; January 23rd, 2005 at 03:00 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi hi

I see your point and agree that there's something missing. Though I am going for a streamlined feel like the x-40 or the x-50 so adding external detail probably wouldnt work. but i've got to do something indicate a connection between the two forms.

this is just photoshop, but the idea is to add contrast between the two parts. 3D spaceship

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

^ is good

Very good. Now, adding the cosmetic change helps. You may want to consider doing something minor to the actual body to sugest a connection. Hm...

I've got an idea. Could you post a shot oriented similarly to the first one you posted, but turned 180 degrees around, roughly like this:

3D spaceship

So I can Paint in my idea? I need the aft dorsal rim of the saucer between the nacelles showing, at least the general middle of it, so if it'd being covered up by the nacelles, just fiddle with it until you can see it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi hi

the computers on campus are acting up, so this was the closest thing i could find.
    3D spaceship
    and upon closer inspection i realize that i unwrapped one of the polygons backwards. hehe, kinda funny looking actually.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

(MS Paint edit, copy to Word, lower brightness, print, doodle, rescan, upload, post)

3D spaceship

So the thing's recessed in the after of the saucer. It isn't connected to the nacelles, but when you can see it, it's going in the same direction as the nacelles and it's more obviously connected to the ship than they are, so it reinforces the visual effect of the nacelles being connected to the ship.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.