Process: "The Monkey King" Covers Color, Comp, and Pose

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Lightbulb Process: "The Monkey King" Covers Color, Comp, and Pose

Ok, ok, ok... just because you're nice... and also errr, because I've been spending much more time cheking in at the forum than actually doing anything productive for the past 4 days (feel kind of bad) here's the one of the evening. You want a step by step, there ya go:

step 1 - color splashes on a painter canvas - at that point I have no idea what I am about to do.

Step 2 - Oh yeah I could do a monkey king picture that'd be sweet I've alway wanted to have a crack at it... so I block out a monkey head right!. I replace the background thinking that the subject is chinese let's make it china red and see how it goes from there.

Step 3 - the figure is a bit boring so lets try to make it a bit more dynamic by adding some flying-in-the-wing-shit around...The character in the book is supposed to wear some tiger skin so there, that would do great...

Step 4 - Ok, that is still a bit static so I'm adding an arm in the air and show his left hand (more dynamic still)... this guy is supposed to be a very fighsty(?sorry I tend to get more and more french these days). it's making the composition diagonal for the better.
    I'm making him look at us for more involvement of the audience. he drags you in the picture by looking at you.

step5 - Dude?! I say to myself isn't the monkey king all about his heavenly staff... you know the weapon he seems to wip out of his hear any time he has to show a careless god what old brother monkey is made of?
    So draw a staff in the picture!... Kind of important artifact for the character so I put it well in evidence. I work the face a bit more and accentuate the tiger scarf - always one thought in mind: is it ELEGANT????? - if not work it until it gets there.

step 6 - All right I'm kind of happy with that... kind of... I didn't solve the hand in the front but they don't have to know that - wait, did I write that outloud crap! - me and my big mouth. Anyway the picture works like that so I can sort of be lazy for once. So now I put a dark wash of watercolor around the picture to center the focus of attention on the face of the monkey king.

step 7 - I bring the painting from painter to photoshop and modify the brightness and contrast of the picture to get more humpf.
    I get it back to painter once that's done to make the final little touches and details and when I am done with that I bring it back one last time under photoshop to Put 'MONKEY KING' in japonese - thank for Maiko my japanese girlfriend what would I do without you? - and the little black frog that I like so much. There, done! Not quiet printing material - I would have to put a bit more work into it than that - didn't use any ref' I kinda wing it - but for a step by step it should do.

First step by step ever, hope you liked it.
    Now that you know all of my tricks I'm dead meat.BEUUAAAH

You might want to plan ahead and draw some thumbnails for composition and stuff though.

The other thing to keep in mind... when you work on something for more than an hour when you think it's ok take a brake... 1 sometimes two days afterward you see tons of mistakes in it and you want to throw yourself out of the window...

that happens to me all the time...

So just be cool, take your time to go back at it to check... that's the way it is go along with the process.
    If 2 days after, you're still satisfied with your doodle, then send it for print.

Last edited by Sepulverture; November 24th, 2009 at 09:42 AM.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
  3. The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to the black frog For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Members who have read this thread: 8