wacom-related post: mastering the pen

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: wacom-related post: mastering the pen

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

wacom-related post: mastering the pen

Yeah,

I bought an Intuos II about a year ago, and I still have problems controlling the pen.

Like for example; I make a stroke and it goes in an undesirable direction, because the position of my pad is slighty slanted. Does that make sense??

I'm just having a hard time and I was wondering if you folks have some tips and tricks that may help me grow more accustomed to the pen's interface.

Thanks!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I had that problem, especially the first week. I still don't have full control, I'm not nearly as good with the tablet as with a real pen&paper. It's just about motoric brain-hand-eye coordination skill I guess.

I keep my A4 tablet in my lap, draw with my left, and my right 'color picking arm' goes diagonally across the tablet so my palm rests on the top edge and I can press left 'Alt' to color pick. I guess that also allow me to sense the angle of the tablet.

I think a lot of people buy tablets and think they're gonna get better at art just like that, and soon realize it's not as easy as it looks.

I really need a tablet cuz I did all my CG's with a mouse and the wrong hand before that. (I still use the mouse with the right hand although I'm left handed)

Another problem I had was the CRT monitor making the cursor wobble (when I had the tablet too close to the screen) cuz of static electricity or something.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prom. I also gotta have my tablet in my lap because of the wobbly cursor thinbie. Anoying.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    I think a lot of people buy tablets and think they're gonna get better at art just like that, and soon realize it's not as easy as it looks.
    Yeah, that's exactly what I thought. I thought the reason my work sucked was because I was using a mouse, so I bought the wacom thinking it was the answer.

Turns out my work sucks because I suck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I find that just grabbing the pad with my left (off) hand and drawing with my right allows for better control on those long streches.
    I used to put a piece of paper for better surface grip (like koro suggested) but I have'nt done that lately

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I taped my pad to my desk to see how it'd work, and it works pretty good.

Now I just need to learn how to paint.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i like my tablet on my lap, i do get that sometimes with the slant making the cursor move weirdly though. I think the wacom pen is little different from a regular one, you dont know how to move it, it isnt gonna give you good drawings.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For you folks with the crt affecting it..try an antistatic mat under it. A large piece of tinfoil or other chunk of metal that runs up against a metal computer case or some other large metal object like a file cabinet may be enough. The idea is to supply a ground to drain off charge. You could run a wire from it to a screw on your computer case, too. Also check that your CRT and computer are plugged into a grounded outlet.

Zap

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.