Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice drwings; post more!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    aww man - i was soo ready for page two. do post some more. you have told us a bit about the figure drawing process at watts - i would love to hear something about the gouache portrait process. i think its one of the more solid things in here and cant believe its your first one.

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Curse of the Finished Heads

And here I thought I had let this thread sink safely into oblivion. Thanks a lot, Tensai

Actually it is probably time that I get off my ass and update this thing. Here's a few drawings from the past two quarters, plus some paintings that I already posted in the life painting thread. I'm doing more painting this term, so I'll be probably post more down the road.

Tensai - the gouache head was done using the tiling method I was taught. It's basically laying down "tiles" of color (or in this case shades of gray) next to each other, almost like a mosaic. We began with the darkest darks and worked our way to the lightest lights. Once the main shapes had been tiled in, some edges of the tiles were blended using a clean brush with a tiny amount of water (just enough to tell that there's moisture in the brush, really). After that we would make a second pass of tiles where more detail was necessary, and then further blending. Rinse and repeat as necessary until finished. The goal is to learn how to use gouache opaquely and get a feeling for the proper consitency and balance of water vs. paint. It's a tedious but rewarding exercise. Getting the right consistency is the most frustrating part of gouache... I'm still struggling with it, trying to keep at it in my sketchbook. Yikes, does that help at all?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great thread got me all inspired up

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks guys, quick little update, a figure drawing and cast painting (burnt umber & white) from today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by quietadrian
    Tensai - the gouache head was done using the tiling method I was taught. It's basically laying down "tiles" of color (or in this case shades of gray) next to each other, almost like a mosaic. We began with the darkest darks and worked our way to the lightest lights. Once the main shapes had been tiled in, some edges of the tiles were blended using a clean brush with a tiny amount of water (just enough to tell that there's moisture in the brush, really). After that we would make a second pass of tiles where more detail was necessary, and then further blending. Rinse and repeat as necessary until finished. The goal is to learn how to use gouache opaquely and get a feeling for the proper consitency and balance of water vs. paint. It's a tedious but rewarding exercise. Getting the right consistency is the most frustrating part of gouache... I'm still struggling with it, trying to keep at it in my sketchbook. Yikes, does that help at all?
    yo man, thanks for that. im basically curious cause there is not so much around on the web about different ways of using gouache. im restarting with them and force my way through to a certain degree of completion.

if im correct your saying you paint almost totally opaque shapes of a certain value and then blend edges afterwards. (right?) you have to work relatively fast then for the edges to be still blendable or not?

whatever - i can find that out by just experimenting a bit myself next time.
    cheers, and dont let this thing die out man. record that progress.

tensai

check the Tensai Tokyo Sketch Thread (Sketchbook)

check the Tensai Cityscapes Thread (Finally Finished)

bLok

Quote Originally Posted by strych9ine
    Fuck backgrounds, who needs em.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, that's the process. Gouache does force you to work fairly quickly when laying down the tiles, but as far as the blending goes that can be done any time. Goauche can be reactivated indefinitely (as far as I know) with water, so you could go in and do that even days later if you wanted. This is also a good reason not to set your drinks next to your painting

I know what you mean about not being able to find info about gouache online... I always end up having to ask classmates or instructors after fruitless searches.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Youre work is coming along well...the cast painting and guache study are especially sweet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good work! reminds me of this one day I spent at watts after sf workshop :]
    sometimes perspective in a nose or eye is a bit off, or tiny details look not quite right, but thats like 0.001%..

keep it up, looks like you're comfortable with learning at watts, so just stay, listen, draw, learn, grow, as you obviously already do!

oh, and keep posting, too. hehe

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cateaic- Thank you. I'm really enjoying painting and hope to head more in that direction.

dorian- I'd say a lot more than .001% but thanks you stopped by watts after the sf workshop? i wonder if you were sitting in on any of my classes. i was at the workshop too so we probably passed each other a couple hundred times without realizing it.

a little update. looking back through these i can see i'm making improvements, but my impatience wants them to come faster. oh well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice set! You're fig drawings are getting better. My crit is to soften the shadow edges more by developing smoother transition of values.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi quietadrian really great stuff seeing these makes me considerr going to a atelier instead of a art school. How much time in a day do you spend on your drawings? Is fantasy work or working from the imagination touched upon also?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woooooo frikkin incredible! dang, now I want to go to watts when I'm done at this atelier. . .thats some incredible figure work. . .thanks for posting, you may have shown me where to go next.

mike

/signature expired

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow..what a progress... how's your anatomy? do not neglect it..oh i wish i could disect a human ....keep it up..

my new site, is crazy stuff but is my own space, I can say whatever!! hehe:
    http://theallejo05.spaces.live.com/?_c02_owner=1
    One of the art schools I respect the most:
    http://www.mimsstudios.com/philosophy.htm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Adrian,
    I've been enjoying your thread & artwork. I took a couple classes at Watts Atelier before moving up to SF to study at the Academy of Art. I'm considering moving back to San Diego eventually, and hope to continue taking classes at Watts. I'm curious how much time do you spend at the school? Is it a fulltime curriculum, or do you work and go x # of times a week? Thanks for sharing, and wishing you success with your art studies.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ketchup + Mustard

Thank you guys for the replies! Sorry for neglecting this thread, I've been lazy about photographing my work lately.

patzdon- Thanks for the critique. I agree, I have a bad habit of making edges harder than they should be. I'm working on it, slowly but surely

Bubstar- I've been mostly doing 15-18 hours of in-class work per week, in addition to home study. I've never added up how much time I spend though. Fantasy/imaginative works are definitely touched on, especially in the illustration classes.

jkior- Thanks! I'm really interested in the bargue drawings you've been doing. They look incredible! That's something that's not really covered in detail at Watts. It seems like it would be a great way to train your eye to see value, something I still struggle with.

the_allejo05- My anatomy is decent, but you can never study that enough. There's always more to learn about the human body. I've been doing studies at home from Bridgeman and various anatomy books (plus that slick anatomical sculpture they were selling at the SF workshop.. can't recall the name of it right now)

JonWolf- Like i mentioned to Bubstar, I probably spend 15-18 hours at the school. There's a few folks taking 10+ classes per term (they're easy to spot because they're usually passed out on the couches while the model is breaking )

I've been doing more painting than drawing lately... here are some portraits from class. All were ~3 hours, using a limited palette (a slightly modified Zorn palette - Ivory or Blue Black, Titanium White, Vermillion Red Deep and Yellow Ochre)

asoir is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    WOW. Loving these, especially the last one. Great stuff.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Just for fun: here's a small study for my inking class. It's a section of one of Bernie Wrightson's Frankenstein illustrations. I'm not worthy!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.