Watts Atelier ?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Watts Atelier ?

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Watts Atelier ?

I'm at work right now, taking a break. I'm here to save up money for leaving Canada, and heading off to California for Watts Atelier in october. Has anyone been to this school? Do you recommend it?

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

jetpack42 is offline Registered User Level 15 Gladiator: Spartacus' Hoplomachi
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yes. it is awesome.

I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

http://www.endlessunlimited.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Great school in a great environment. A lot of folks on this board have gone there. You can do a search on this forum and come up with tons of glowing recommendations for the school.

Just make sure you get your living situation squared away, it is pretty expensive in SoCal. But if you ask around I'm sure Jet or any of the other folks would be happy to give you any advice you need.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor
    I'm at work right now, taking a break. I'm here to save up money for leaving Canada, and heading off to California for Watts Atelier in october. Has anyone been to this school? Do you recommend it?

Why leave Canada ??? You guys have the Michael John Angel Atelier! Go there instead.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yup... like Jetpack said, Watts is Awethome!!!
    After going here I don't think I could go to another school besides an Atelier.

Ya, Seraph is right... the cost of living in CA is pretty rediculous. Right now My roomie and I are paying $1300 for a 2 bed 2 bath. Although I think there are a few around that are cheaper. If you don't mind driving you can live in Oceanside (15 minutes north) and pay around $1000 for a 2 bed, but we just wanted to live under a mile from the school. Sorry... don't know costs of 1 bedroom if that's what you're looking for. Ask Jetpack for assistance there.
    If the cost for living is too much for ya, I'd definitely check out the Michael John Angel Atelier. hrm... although I don't know how much classes are there.
    If you want to go hang out at the beach in December tho... I'd come here! The weather here is freakin Sweet!

If you have any other questions about Watts feel free to send me a PM.

Interceptor is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Michael John Angel Atelier.. I have'nt heard of it. One reason we wanted to go to Cali was because 2 of the other guys going are from the US anyways... and... i have enough snow in Canada, I can't to see the ocean again

* Help a CA artist! Visit the Constructive Critique section! *

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You haven't heard of the place!?!??! I advise you to check the place out first before you decide to leave. From what i've seen i think its a great Atelier. Go to the website pls! www.angelartacademy.com

Last edited by Dizon; January 28th, 2005 at 10:01 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hmm that's neat, I had not heard of that school either. I'm at Watts currently. There are actually ateliers all over the US and abroad, the art renewal site has a listing of (all of?) them. The things I like about Watts which are different from most: they don't teach the sight-size method, and they are not really a school of realism. They are west coast impressionism (think Sargent vs. Raphael). They also offer various classes in illustration, conceptual design, story boarding and some non-traditional media (gouache, acrylic, brush inking, ect). I enjoy that they have a very strong life drawing/painting program to get your fundamentals down, but additionally offer the industry-related classes that teach you skills you need if you want to work as a concept designer, comic book artist, illustrator, ect. I don't mind answering questions if you have any, pm me. Keep in mind that you don't have to commit to one school for the duration, either. Do some research and maybe there are several - can't hurt to have diverse instruction!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Velo
    Hmm that's neat, I had not heard of that school either. I'm at Watts currently. There are actually ateliers all over the US and abroad, the art renewal site has a listing of (all of?) them. The things I like about Watts which are different from most: they don't teach the sight-size method, and they are not really a school of realism. They are west coast impressionism (think Sargent vs. Raphael). They also offer various classes in illustration, conceptual design, story boarding and some non-traditional media (gouache, acrylic, brush inking, ect). I enjoy that they have a very strong life drawing/painting program to get your fundamentals down, but additionally offer the industry-related classes that teach you skills you need if you want to work as a concept designer, comic book artist, illustrator, ect. I don't mind answering questions if you have any, pm me. Keep in mind that you don't have to commit to one school for the duration, either. Do some research and maybe there are several - can't hurt to have diverse instruction!
    OH really ? thats cool, then Interceptor has the best of both worlds if he attends Watts then.

Just a small note I like to add, Sargent also used Sight Size. Just want to make that clear hehe.

Members who have read this thread: 2