Hey love! how have you been?
    Here one just for you

Another color study from a picture

Attached Images Attached Images  
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    This is a color study I guess. I should learn once and for all what a human face looks like.
    ~1 hour

Attached Images Attached Images  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Dark as night, sweet as sin.

It's been quite some time since I posted!
    Here's my attempt at posting more often

Name:  DarkAsNight.png
Views: 115
Size:  407.2 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 5th

This is another attempt to draw every day

Name:  sketch2-March-2013.png
Views: 114
Size:  348.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    : DDDD
    Yay Luna! :>
    Keep up the pace!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks Harbinger! Long time no see how are you?

yay 3 days in a row
    Just a small color study for now
    Name:  landscape-sketch3-March-2013.png
Views: 102
Size:  410.8 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really interesting seeing the difference between your older work and your current work. There's some really nice stuff in your sketchbook, you should post more often. I love the guy with the sunglasses and cigarette on page 2, nice shading and abstraction. As it was done in 2005 I would love to see you do something simular with your current skillset.

10. The Following User Says Thank You to Setherial For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Setherial View Post
    really interesting seeing the difference between your older work and your current work. There's some really nice stuff in your sketchbook, you should post more often. I love the guy with the sunglasses and cigarette on page 2, nice shading and abstraction. As it was done in 2005 I would love to see you do something simular with your current skillset.
    thanks Setherial, I feel my style has changed many times in the last years and I'm not sure if I would be able to recreate something similar to that sketch. But it's well worth the try
    I also plan to draw every day and keep improving and that also means posting more often Thanks so much for stopping by, your encouragement adds more fuel to my fire.

Here is today's totally random and unplanned brain fart:

Name:  sketch4-March-2013.png
Views: 103
Size:  124.4 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Decent jump from the first page already. Figures are already better and it's amazing how much confidence I'm seeing develop already. However, I might suggest doing some more skull studies because your faces are still kind of elongated. Keep going Luna. I can't wait to see more.

If you're wish my blog and thus portfolio are available for comment. I can always use critique.

http://aradneyart.blogspot.com

Also, my concept art sketchbook can be found here

http://conceptart.org/forums/showthr...g-in-headfirst

Insanity
    Definition: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    "You must first learn the rules. That way, you can learn to break them properly"-Dahli Lama

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_Radney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey and thanks for visiting my sb I had a look at yours and also at your deviantart page. I like the red queen. Its really lovely and there are alot of nice studies and art from imagination here. One thing I think of is that your colors on your portraits are very nice and vibrant so is the enviroment at post #55 the matte painting. something I thought about on post #68 are the trees in the foreground, the leafs could use some extra punch because its abit hard to see them. They kinda blend in too much to the ground abit too much. otherwise really nice SB and a very nice selfportrait
    Glad to hear from another girl and keep pushing yourself.

15. The Following User Says Thank You to ninaren For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi luna, nice work so far. I think you could do some more imagined stuff, also reference a lot more when you do. There seems to be a difference in your observed work and your imagined work. Maybe look into some industrial design drawing, rendering principles; stuff like that is gold when your making stuff up. Love that portrait on the last page aswell, even more beautiful seeing as you did it in painter. Me and that program dont get along to well Either way Keep it up!

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

17. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

March 20th face studies

@Aaron_Radney
    Thanks so much for stopping by yes you are right about the faces! I made it my priority to practice more and develop a good habit!

@ninaren
    Such nice compliments I still have so many things to learn! I wish there was more hours in a day...

@Chris Sanders
    You are so right, my problem seems to be a lack of imagination. I rarely have new ideas for paintings or illustrations my mind goes blank, and sometimes I rather do studies instead. Is there a remedy for that? And if ever I want to paint something, I just wanna go crazy and not think about photo references. Does that make sense? Bad habits I know.
    As for the portrait of the girl, it was done in Photoshop with a painterly brush with the right settings I have a hard time with Painter too!

Here are some face studies. I want to practice enough so it becomes second nature and not think about proportions I'm still struggling and there are still mistakes, but I'm not giving up!
    Name:  sketch5-March-2013.png
Views: 73
Size:  362.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Better. The elongation problem is less noticeable here but the eyes on some of these women seem a bit too large. Admittedly there's a time and a place for that (I'm an anime and manga fan so this doesn't personally bother me much) but it seems ungrounded here. Perhaps spend some real time on the skull underneath the skin and looking at how the eye sits in the socket and the effects of the muscles around it. There are some really good diagrams in "The Human Figure" by John H. Vanderpoel, however, they might be too few in number for you to justify buying the book solely because of that.

One thing to keep in mind though as you work on the proportions is that some people do in fact have long faces. Oooh. I just had an idea. It's merely a suggestion (one I'll do too once I get to the face in my own studies) bit what if you just focused on a frontal few first (generally it's easier) and did several facial types side by side?

If you're wish my blog and thus portfolio are available for comment. I can always use critique.

Insanity
    Definition: Doing the same thing over and over again and expecting a different result.
    "You must first learn the rules. That way, you can learn to break them properly"-Dahli Lama

20. The Following User Says Thank You to Aaron_Radney For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Aaron_Radney
    Hey man, thanks for stopping by again and noticing the changes I'm struggling with eyes you're right. I made so many studies a while along with all the facial proportions. It's some stuff I forgot with time and with lack of practice. It's definitely something I will practice more in my next studies. I bought a great book recently called "Figure Drawing, Design and Invention" by Michael Hampton. It really is amazing in showing how to go about the human figure and tips on how to draw it better Now the next challenge is to do studies from it and apply the tips to my next drawings!

Tonight I felt like doing some brainless doodling and getting my imagination flowing by doing silhouettes. I'm gonna take one of these and develop it into a detailed and referenced character
    Name:  Silhouettes-march-2013.png
Views: 68
Size:  155.0 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow pretty huge gap since you last posted :b cool updates andhope you stick around longer this time!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Awesome silhouettes. I especially like the second one and the last one in the first row. That's a great way to get your imagination flowing for character design.

Good stuff.

Insanity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey Kevin! thanks for stopping by thanks for the encouragement, and yes it is my full intention to keep going at it!

@Aaron_Radney- I'm really glad you like them, it kinda felt liberating to just doodle
    So I took one of the silhouettes and started doodling until it looked like this... aprox. 30 min
    I obviously didn't grab references yet, it might be my next step

Name:  SilhouetteColor-March2013.png
Views: 47
Size:  197.7 KB

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mmm, I love your colour palette. I have a weakness for soft dusty colours.

If you're still having trouble with facial proportions, a thing I did once was to map the skull and muscles onto a photo of my own face, from frontal, side, and 3/4 views. It really helps in translating theoretical knowledge about facial structure into practical knowledge, or at least it did for me.

I'd also recommend just plain drawing more! It doesn't have to be super intense stuff, even just doing gesture drawings of characters on tv shows can help you get into the rhythm of drawing every day.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Luna. The only real remedy for better imagined paintings is more paintings for the imagination. It's like you have to expose you're self to it and let you immune system build a tolerance to pro running off and studying impulses. Right that's enough of that awful metaphor. But if there's a nothing that can't be solved with time and effort i'm yet to run into it. About the bald dude: he's about 6 heads tall at the moment, try making him more like 8 heads tall. also maybe put some rough structure in in line ontop of the painting layer. Honestly i think it's faster to have like a 2 hour line drawing of quality on top to paint under than it is to just go in with paint and no guide at all.

Sketchbook
    Blog
    cts.sanders@googlemail.com
    Facebook

"Don't Stop 'Til You Get Enough" - Michael Jackson

27. The Following User Says Thank You to Chris Sanders For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The above statement is very true about getting a good solid line drawing. Nothing wrong with doing direct painting but I've only got one painting I like that didn't start out as a pretty fleshed out pencil drawing first.

Insanity

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey thanks again for the nice feedback u gave me
    I agree with Aaron_Radney that the eyes seems abit too big on post #74 the nose on the upper left woman looks really great tho the right eye seems abit too big even if she has gorgeous eyeblusher.
    Anyway I find the women pretty beautiful and I would suggest both Andrew Loomis and Ron Lemen for head studies. I too struggle with proportions but it comes with practise and time.
    I find post #79 quite nice and im glad that you did some more doodling from thoose siluettes.
    Keep it up u are on a good way

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Members who have read this thread: 7