Nintendo Revolution: rumors / speculation thread

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Nintendo Revolution: rumors / speculation thread

Untill E3 I'll do my best to post whatever info I can dig up on Nintendo's next console... biggest industry flop, or new industry standard ... we'll have to wait 'till E3 to find out for sure...
    All is rumors and speculation currently:

***--- controller to break tradition by not including A or B buttons or a D-pad.

***--- console will represent a "paradigm shift." / if too complicated it could alienate players / monitor hook up

***--- IGN commentary:
    And then there is the great unknown: the Nintendo Revolution. This is the Nintendo-given codename for the successor to GameCube, which is slated for release in 2006; it will go toe-to-toe with Sony's forthcoming PlayStation 3 console. (Incidentally, Microsoft will allegedly launch the follow-up to Xbox sometime this holiday season.) We've read all sorts of mistranslated comments about the machine and we've also spoken with development studios that are only just starting to learn about its technical capabilities.

Frankly, there's not much to say, except that it's going to be different from just about anything Nintendo has done before -- so original, in fact, that it may buck the designs of current consoles in favor of a whole new gameplay dynamic. Sounds, uh, revolutionary. I'm still not sure what to think of the machine, and I'm sure most of you feel the same way. But 2005 is a very important year in this regard because in just four months Nintendo will tell us its vision for the console. It could be the greatest thing ever. Or maybe not. But at least we'll finally know. I have to say that as a longtime Nintendo fan, I'm pretty excited.
    ***--- From some character on the Nintendopower forums, he apparently was correct about many of the DS' stats before it was unveiled...

There has been a TON of speculation on Nintendo's upcoming console but little is actually known about it. There are so many different ideas that no one really knows what to think. So here are some supposed "facts" about the Revolution. I can't reveal my source because I've been asked not to. Sorry guys. I would say that this info has at least a 65% chance of being accurate. My source has been right before and he's also been wrong. Here goes......

Ok first things first. Yes, Nintendo will utilize gyros in it's controllers. I think most people pretty much already took this as fact. Also, the Rev will indeed have dual processors. Also broadband is built in, no modem to buy. Nintendo has an online strategy in development. It will be implemented on the DS first. There are no current plans to connect the DS and the Rev....the GB Evolution on the other hand......

The Rev will have four controller ports. It will have a hard drive which will be used in much the same way as the 64DD was supposed to be used. Things like Dolby Digital 5.1 and high def monitor support are included. There is no type of virtual reality or any kind of headset planned. It is backwards compatible with Gamecube games. It will use the HD-DVD format and not Sony's Blu-Ray. Controllers are not wireless, but wireless controllers are planned. It will launch with an unnamed Mario game and work on Zelda has already begun. Super Smash Brothers is in mid development and will be a launch title.

Ok so what's the Revolutionary part? That's what you all want to know. Well my source wouldn't tell me. He said it would get him into too much trouble, and could give Sony and Microsoft an advantage at this stage in the game. But he did say this; "if you think too hard you'll never guess what it is. It's nothing "new" technically speaking. It's just something that hasn't really been applied to video games yet."

He then said "touching is good but feeling is better". What exactly that means I have no idea. Some sort of force feedback device? We already have rumble packs.
    ***--- Not to confident in the source, being that I can't read it... but this circulated on the gaming-age forums:
    http://p2.chbox.jp/read.php?url=http...1106658928/l50
    - Name of machine is "Nintendo 21"
    - planned for release at end of 2005
    - medium is 2-sided 8cm disc, 5.4GB capacity, in a shellcase
    - includes "Home Game function" which uses IEEE protocol to locate and communicate with other Nintendo 21s in the vicinity
    - "Home Game function" is free, connect the AC adaptor and the machine talks to nearby Nintendo 21s and "Nintendo Home"s (? could be Form instead of Home - katakana is vague). Save data is stored on the main unit and affects other machines over the network.
    - "Nintendo Home" machine is like a base station that will be put in many places and uses the PHS network for communication (popular mobile phone network). Will connect to handheld game machines and supports "Home Game function", also sends latest info from Nintendo.
    - "Nintendo Home" is being jointly developed with Kyosera.
    - controller is like GC controller but "rubbing" is possible - e.g. you can control movement in a game by rubbing the controller/buttons. Also the controller has a slot.
    - The whole controller is pressure sensitive. So rubbing can be done with the buttons or via grip.
    - Digital outputs included

Last edited by Sammy; January 26th, 2005 at 01:13 PM.

my website
    -- playing: "Pikmin 3" and "World of Tanks"
    -- reading: "Death of the Liberal Class" -Chris Hedges

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reading all that, I can't help but feel excited. Interesting stuff.

/fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    SWEET! ANOTHER MARIO GAME!!

edit: that is interesting, thanks for posting this, sammy.

Last edited by jetpack42; January 17th, 2005 at 07:16 PM.
    I self-published a book on the fundamentals of drawing from life.

http://www.amazon.com/Fundamentals-D...8951905&sr=8-1

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    a mario game with pixelshaders!

Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I do not agree with Nintendo on some of its policies, but I was raised on it and I can say without hesitation that it is the primary innovative force in electronic gaming. Not only did it invent many of the ideas and elements of video gaming that are considered totally essential and standard in all gaming systems, it has also managed to consistently turn out excellent first-party games that utilize the specific nuances and quirks of their current systems to make a game that is, no matter what its actual quality, a work of a unique art form. Nintendo is always the galvanizer that moves the industry forward, and with the brilliant innovation and new horizons offered by the DS in control and gameplay, I am very optimistic about the Revolution.

Don't you know it's gonna be...

All right!

Don't you know it's gonna be...

All right!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    as you can all see, Nintendo has never failed us!
    they are the best when it comes to game consoles.
    nintendo knows how to make good games with good innovations.

Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm happy with Nintendo's latest goals to attract new people to interactivity and games.

This last generation of consoles and games really did a bad job of alienating everyone that wasn't already a gamer or wasn't already male...
    Yes, many were attracted by DVD technology and that pushed the industry really far (as far as #'s of consoles sold).
    But the majority of those that took the vanilla-gaming rout for DVD playback only buy a total of 2-4 games on a given console....

And they have little to no potential of jumping on the next round of consoles ... not unless something changes.

my website

O my soul, do not aspire to immortal life, but exhaust the limits of the possible. - Pindar

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    o man, i just hope something awesome is in store for the DS...i hope it wasn't all hype...then i'd be mad

this new revolution plan sounds cool so far

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Maybe it's some sort of 'mouse gesture' control that you shake?

I think there's been a couple of tilt controls (instead of analog stick.)

Could be a combo.

If you put a tilt sensor on a handheld you could make ball & labyrinth games.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    As of now, this might offer something similar to compare with: http://www.gyration.com/

gyration technology has been around for while but never implemented into consoles..
    If done right, it could certainly help consoles counter any mouse/keyboard level of controls that PC offers at the same time keep things working for more traditional games.

But if the Rev has this AND gyros built in (and it's sounding like it does), then it can offer some level of 'force feedback'... depending on the amount of gyros in the controller...
    Just think of something vertically spinning in it, you would feel the controller trying to be level itself..
    And say you were playing a game that involved light sabers, the gyros can spin at alternate rates to give the feeling that you are actually hitting against objects...

gyros can do a lot... they balance the Segway, keep helicopters from spinning out of control ... hell when you ride a bike your wheels function as gyros to keep you vertical...
    So it seems there would be limitless options to have a game communicate to a player + player communication back if this is the case with the Rev...

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    - includes "Home Game function" which uses IEEE protocol to locate and communicate with other Nintendo 21s in the vicinity
    - "Home Game function" is free, connect the AC adaptor and the machine talks to nearby Nintendo 21s and "Nintendo Home"s (? could be Form instead of Home - katakana is vague). Save data is stored on the main unit and affects other machines over the network.
    - "Nintendo Home" machine is like a base station that will be put in many places and uses the PHS network for communication (popular mobile phone network). Will connect to handheld game machines and supports "Home Game function", also sends latest info from Nintendo.
    - controller is like GC controller but "rubbing" is possible - e.g. you can control movement in a game by rubbing the controller/buttons. Also the controller has a slot.
    - The whole controller is pressure sensitive. So rubbing can be done with the buttons or via grip.

top secret?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Rub the controler?!

/fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    So the pressure sensitive controller has a 'slot' and you can 'rub' it, I wonder if it smells like fish too...

Maybe it's time to update this old classic.

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wasn't Sega always too ahead of their time. And now they dropped out of the running. That Nomad still is a dope idea though!

I'm interested in seeing Nintendo's moch ups.

-Joshua

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JOSHUATHEJAMES
    Wasn't Sega always too ahead of their time. And now they dropped out of the running. That Nomad still is a dope idea though!

-Joshua
    oh, i loved sega. i have the dreamcast, but sold it so i could get axtra cash for my sweet 9800 pro 256mb video card.

i wish sega still made consoles, the dreamcast was so much fun.
    and yeah they were always to ahead of the time. other game console companies like nintendo and sony, were persistent and beat sega. so now i stick with nintendo. i never realy like the ps2 much. most games sucked for ps2. ps2 was all hyped up. but some games make up for it. gamecube actually satisfied my tastes in gaming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sinix

top secret?

I saw this info as well, and was curious of how to take it since I can't read the source:

http://p2.chbox.jp/read.php?url=http...1106658928/l50

We're supposed to get some sort of info Thursday morning, as to Nintendo's 'Online' plan for DS and more... we'll have to wait and see

my website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sammy you've always got the scoop!!! The gyro stuff sounds like a good bet, crazy nintindo what will they do next.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by JoshuaTheJames

-Joshua
    They do make games now. Cool at that. But I presume they're still head of their time, it seems they never can make what they REALLY want to make. Like another Panzer Dragoon Saga (which is gloriously designed!)..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    So the pressure sensitive controller has a 'slot' and you can 'rub' it, I wonder if it smells like fish too...

Maybe it's time to update this old classic.
    the rub and the slot, does sound quite eccentric...i mean why would we need to rub the controller? what does rubbing do? do i get to pet my character while they are in the game, rubbing sounds very sexual to me...i mean rubbing the controller...you know how it's shaped, right? *cringes* that pressure sensitivity and rubbing thing sounds like a misstep...i don't know how it could be useful, what game would require you to rub the controller?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If they build in the broadband it might be a good opportunity for them to allow direct dl games, no disks.

In terms of the rubbing, I can see this as an easy progression, the technology has existed on every laptop since 98 and would allow for much more accurate control imhop over the sticks on most controllers these days.

I am sure Nintendo will put out a great machine but to be honest, they will probably take a middle of the road approach with a few gimmics they will label as "innovation". They made a decision very early on to take a firm hold on entry level design and they have perected it. Next year wont be any different.

The PS3 from what I hear is simply going to be too much

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Presence
    If they build in the broadband it might be a good opportunity for them to allow direct dl games, no disks.

In terms of the rubbing, I can see this as an easy progression, the technology has existed on every laptop since 98 and would allow for much more accurate control imhop over the sticks on most controllers these days.

I am sure Nintendo will put out a great machine but to be honest, they will probably take a middle of the road approach with a few gimmics they will label as "innovation". They made a decision very early on to take a firm hold on entry level design and they have perected it. Next year wont be any different.

The PS3 from what I hear is simply going to be too much
    i see, it will be quite interesting to see what they can do with it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hope the new Nintendo system has a wireless controller adapter for your toilet, so you can control the games based on your control of taking a dump. Talk about revolutionary!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i don't know if you're just being amusing, but i don' see why anyone should poo-poo (pun intended) nintendo for trying to do something different. seems like that's exactly what the industry needs and should be striving for (including concept artists).

...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    My post was meant to be satirical of just that, different doesn't mean good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, the same doesn't mean good either. different is closer to good than the same.

...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i know a revolution, as much as nintento is awesome and tries they will never be able to take a decent size of the game market, their prime is long over.

Nathan Campbells 3 steps to drawing like a pro, 1. Sketch 2. shade. 3. highlights and ur done

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    bump ^-^

just read that nintendo revolution will be the thickness of 3 dvd cases, and not much taller. it will be able to stand either verticle or horizontal, and will be able to play gamecube disks, dvd's and its dvd sized game disks in the same slot.

older news: the pad will be wireless (and may not even apear in E3) and the revolution will be wireless internest ready in the box, for free online play.

please dont turn this thread into yet another "this is better than this" war. this thread is for people who have found rumours and speculations etc about the revolution (like the title say's ^-^) and im sure as E3 is just 4 days away, this thread (and others for xbox360/ps3) will start going crazy ^-^

peace

» sketchbook
    » blog
    » website

(First rule of Pocket Club...)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think nintendo's ship has sailed. They didn't invent much of anything. They took what Atari had done, and moved it to the next level. Then Sega upped them, then Nintendo again and so fourth, until the big boys came in and took over. (Microsoft and Sony) Nintendo is playing catchup. If it wasn't for their handheld market, they would be right there with Sega. Don't get me wrong, Nintendo has made some terrific games, and thats what its all about in this industry, but I think they are on the decline. People, adults in particular see them as childrens toys. I think it would take quite a bit to bring them back to the forefront of gaming.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm reading this and I'm getting the thought of a power glove, with force feedback technology. I see a mental picture of picking up objects in a game and being able to feel the pressure you are applying to them coming back to you. Say you pick up a glass and squeeze it too hard, it will shatter, or you can pick up a sword and wave it at your opponents to block, or whatever. You could throw grenades and it will throw them as far as would in real life. Imagine playing a baseball game with this. Of course I’d rather play the real thing, but sometimes throwing nades around on a rainy day isn’t that much fun

-Brad Cossey

The secret to creativity is knowing how to hide your sources.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

IF this is real then the revolution is stranger than we imagined. Or the most elaborate fake ever created.

POSSIBLY THE FIRST VIDEO OF THE REVOLUTION.

http://onefed.com/media/NintendoON.wmv

Looks fake...
    But who in their right would spend the time and effort to fake this?
    Who would even dream of faking something like this?

-toasty

Last edited by wassermelone; May 13th, 2005 at 07:09 PM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.