Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,137 Times in 399 Posts

Why the f*ck can't i draw?

Howdy ya'll.
    This isn't a 'lack of imagination thread' all over again, more of a i can't fucking draw.
    I've been having bad times where i can draw one good ish thing then i suddenly forget everything i know, it wouldn't bother me if this was every month or so, but its every damn day.

I've been wondering if you guys and girls get this? if so, wat the hell do you do?
    This has prob already been brought up and i'm not sure if this is the right thread, but i guess its general disscusstion I CAN'T SPELL.
    I did look, maybe i missed it or something, if so, sorry! i'm a retard and i'm tired ok. woo. *SNORT*

Slap me with pies, just stay away from the balls. thank you.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Cool

There's good days and bad. The trick is to keep doing it, I think. Never stop.

Thanks
    Its not if you can draw, its if you improve. Well, it seems like your identifying with a style on your faces, also the anatomy o f your humans is off, which can be helped by drawing the human figure from either photo's or from life. I cant take a life drawing class right now, but if I had the chance I would do it regardless of my situations. bridgeman, loomis, those individuals help as a base, but in the end, developing your own unique eye for anatomy is important and its drawing from life that does it, or what you see in front of you. you are creative in your work however, so keep it up by all means. And, you will allways be your worst critic, allways. And you are also slowly improving as well. I mean, drawing from the imagination is an oxymoron, cause you need to draw the pose first in order to decifer what goes where and what does what as well and draw from life in order to make things belivable. So there ya go.

Thanks
    I find I can draw better with a pencil in my hand than I can with a keyboard. heh...just buggin'

umm...sounds like you're frustrated...frustration comes from exaggerating the importance of desires.
    sooo, you have 2 courses of action to take methinks...
    1)(the one I reccommend)anger! scribble like crazy on a sheet of paper. Use an entire 6b pencil and make the whole page black.(don't use straight lines...just scribble like mad for as long as it takes)
    this will loosen you up...get you through some creative blocks...make you feel silly...
    actually, if you do your best to make your scribble as ugly as possible, it helps too.
    If you can make ugly crap on purpose, it becomes far less likely that you'll make it by accident.
    You also bring your desires back down to earth with this excersize. You can't over exaggerate how well your scribble is going to turn out.

2)(I don't reccommend)being dissappointed with yourself.

good luck!

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    i see what you mean, pal...
    nowadays i draw, play guitar, play games rather very seldom...
    i'm kinda going through a crisis now....i just don't feel like doing shit!
    really, when i flip open my sketchbook or place my wacom tablet on my lap...i just stare at the horrid space for minutes or sometimes hours...and not a single line, mark, squiggle, scratch, or dot appears on the paper nor the screen...
    i just can't make up my fucking mind....*sigh* i need pills...or a drink...
    not only that...i'm also a little depressed from school....really, i'm just tired of going to the same damn place everyday, doing the same routine, teachers preaching to me in every class about working hard and being succesful....IT's FRICKEN HELL!
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Today I picked up a pencil after a very long break.
    I am also one of those people who start a lot of those "what is wrong with me I can't draw" threads.
    I guess I can relate.

Something I discovered today and I think it helps me is:
    - Make doodles in a relaxed way.
    - Start with something you usually wouldn't do.
    For example draw eyes extremely far apart or a weird shape or extremely big.
    Then for example add the nose so that the face has a very long nose.
    - Then look at what you have and try to see the potential.
    Keep adding to it and try to kinda rescue the image.
    Most of the sketches will be bad. Look at them and again try to see the errors and the potential.
    In most of my crappy sketches I saw some nice effect. In the past I would have been depressed because I wanted to draw something cool right away.
    - Start fresh and try to remove the flaws and bring out the keepers instead.

The important thing is:
    the feeling that you can't draw because there are horrible images on your doodle sheets has to go away.
    I always tried to play it safe ... when I try something daring I'm not as disappointed if it doesn't turn out right.
    I enjoy drawing like that and now there are some drawings (2 of 50) that I really like.
    I'll use reference and spend time on turning them into real concept sketches.
    Guess that number will be better in sessions in 2 weeks.

It is hard to draw and improve if you are frustrated.
    Think about mistakes in a scientific way: "Hah. The body looks horrible because the ass is fat and one leg is longer than the other. I can fix that"
    Think about positive things emotionally.

And to get fresh ideas: analyze reference images.
    Think about how you can apply things that you like to your drawings.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    i see what you mean, pal...
    nowadays i draw, play guitar, play games rather very seldom...
    i'm kinda going through a crisis now....i just don't feel like doing shit!
    really, when i flip open my sketchbook or place my wacom tablet on my lap...i just stare at the horrid space for minutes or sometimes hours...and not a single line, mark, squiggle, scratch, or dot appears on the paper nor the screen...
    i just can't make up my fucking mind....*sigh* i need pills...or a drink...

hey, sounds just like me. i wonder what the cure would be for this problem of ours?

Thanks
    Well, it has to do with your attitude too. You sound so negative, listen to what you are saying. Youre putting yourself down instead of supporting yourself. You have to accept that you are not going to be great over night, accept that it takes hard work, determination, patience AND TIME. What i find helpful is looking back at my old work and seeing the improvement. Im guessing you look at a lot of other peoples work? youre comparing your stuff to them, thats not fair. You have been working for about maybe a few years or less? and them? who knows, theres professionals here that have been drawing seriously for quite a while. They worked hard, they were determined, they had patience and they had all that time under their belt. relax, dont kill yourself over art and hey, just have fun. and yes i go through what you go through, the frustration, every once in a while

Thanks
    I now this situations just too well.

It IS frustrating seeing that you didn´t notice a improvement at your current sketch or work... seeing that u did better works in the past.

But looking at the whole work you did improvement in fact!

A thing that i did when i was 13 or 14 was drawing eyes on and on
    but without reference........ i don´t know how i much i drew (thousends)
    but the results were not that good.. although i was not frustrated because i was not that interested in art the way i am nowadays
    But study stuff like eyes, forms, shading, techniques, and all the things
    helps you a lot seeing what is able to create.

Imagination is another thing, i think drawing "all the time"
    keeps you fit, but you lose imagination a bit without normal life
    (going out, dating,... or work physically)
    u get a bit tired... IMO

I also love and hate to look at other artist´s work,
    seeing that he is much "better" than me and at the same way younger
    but develop a pressure to being better than others
    causes the opposite.... keep relaxing, practise in a good and efficent way,
    draw what you want to draw, experiment... and open your eyes.

Xaya

Thanks
    Your going about it all wrong. FYI, when it comes to art,...what you think are your biggest mistakes, are usually hidden strokes of genius. Give yourself a break, and chill out.

Try this:

Create a whole painting/ drawing w/out erasing.
    If you don't find yourself enjoying the process, go do somthing else with your time.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    I've had a major lack of inspiration lately.. I used to be able to draw fairly well, but lately I have a tough time even getting started.. this in turn is making my skill fall.. it really sucks... another problem i have is that i draw from reference really well, but when i have to create from my mind (even if i have a nude reference or something, i jsut cant get that real, but still cartoonish (not cartoons, like kids... just like not "realism") look... it really sucks... whenever i try to do a character illustration, it turns out look like a half-assed attempt at a figure drawing..

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Good days drawing are like good days playing tennis. You need to be in shape, you need to be focused, you need to be warmed up.
    In drawing class, we always had to warm up for 5 minutes by drawing nothing but loops, shading diagonals, and drawing straight lines, vertical and horizontal. Only then, would we approach the subject of the day.

If you are trying to just sit down and draw, without warming up your hand and focusing your mind, you're relying on pure creativity and luck to make your images come out well. Take a few minutes to collect yourself and warm up before trying, and see if it makes any difference.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Have you ever had to go to sleep early, and you keep thinking about if you don't get to sleep soon, then you'll be really tired? And as a result of the worrying, you can't get to sleep? Drawing is the same way, the more you think about how much you suck, the less you'll improve. Also, don't compare yourself to other people. If you just do your own thing then art won't become so much of a competition, but it will be fun.

Thanks
    yeah, but think about the job availability...ever thought about that?
    to me it feels like it will be impossible to get a job as an artist...
    i have met alot of artist who are struggling and always broke.
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    Take breaks and look at other artist's work... you will start to understand what you like and don't like about your own stuff by doing this. Art isn't created in a vacuum, you need to give yourself inspiration,. Take a walk, get a book and find some artists you really identify with, staying interested in art will keep you from giving up.

Thanks
    muffinman, you're talking about getting a job, not making art.

Thanks

Whoa, got alot more replies than i was expecting.
    Amazing, you guys and girls, are great! really helped me out, trying out every surrgestion here. currently working on the meaningful messyness.
    and its working!

Gunna try sketching out an idea for the mo and see if i can work up.
    Thanks for all the replies. keep them coming!

Muffinman, i'd say the pressures finally gotten to you...

On the fringes of "acceptable" observation and commentary.
    Thanks
    Work with the suggestions you have already, and then post some of your work at the end of the month. You have more than enough suggestions to keep you busy until then.
    Change is Inevitable, Growth is Optional
    I am The Choosen One!
    Jason sez: Draw more from Life!

Thanks
    Maybe you should set yourself a project of some sort? Such as... sketches and studies of something you have always wanted to work on--maybe drawing a horse, or a spaceship or whatever... Or a trying a new medium? Or maybe going out and filling a sketchbook full of hands or gestures... Do something that will take your mind off how good your drawing looks and focuses more on doing something that will improve your skills. At least you'd be working through your artists block, if nothing else...

Thanks
    Becuase you suck!!!! Naw, just kidd'n.
    Like I said before, don't be so hard on yourself.
    "If one advances confidently in the direction of
    his dreams, and endeavors to live the life he
    has imagined, he will meet with a success
    unexpected in common hours."
    - H.D. Thoreau

Thanks
    In my opinion art is mental, emotional as well as technical. I find when im going through a "crap period" (which is quite often lol ), looking at others work and appreciating it, not comparing my work to it helps gets the fire burning again. I believe that when you feel positive and motivated this affects the quality of your work.

Drawing is hard, but then again anything worth something is hard. I found that doing subjects I really was passionate about got me all fired up and enjoying my work aswell.

Sometimes when im drawing, in order to develop my skills, i push all other thoughts out of my head, I dont care whether it will look good or bad, I focus on getting the damn thing right.

Also the cliche that artists are always pennileess is not entirly true. Artists need to work harder networking and meeting people aswell as creating great stuff. Freelancing is hard but not impossible it just takes a few years building up client lists.

Last but not least believe in yourself, some people are gonna dig your work others will hate it, its the nature of the subject. Ive seen your work and its deffinently going places, dont beat yerself up to much !

hope this helps a little

Thanks
    Also try listening to some music you like. I know it sounds strange but it will cheer you up, you'll feel better, therefore you'll be more motivated and wanting to draw.

Thanks
    Also try listening to some music you like. I know it sounds strange but it will cheer you up, you'll feel better, therefore you'll be more motivated and wanting to draw.
    Nah, you're not crazy. I used to do 4 or 5 hour stretches with Coldplay and some Wilco over the summer. Now, unfortunately, time constraints... stupid school.

Maybe you should set yourself a project of some sort? Such as... sketches and studies of something you have always wanted to work on--maybe drawing a horse, or a spaceship or whatever... Or a trying a new medium? Or maybe going out and filling a sketchbook full of hands or gestures... Do something that will take your mind off how good your drawing looks and focuses more on doing something that will improve your skills. At least you'd be working through your artists block, if nothing else...
    Best advice I've heard in awhile...WOW thanks SO much.

Thanks
    This happens to me a lot too. When it does I usually just quit drawing for 2 days or so. That always works for me.

Thanks
    draw more
    you either 'cant draw' cause you dont draw enough or you have no hands.

Thanks
    Don't quit for 2 days unless you like really feel you need to. Even then force yourself to draw a little bit and ask yourself again.
    "Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    Well, BNB... I see massive improvements from the first post in your sketchbook to the last... so, I think it's a matter of patiently keeping at it.

Now shut your cryhole and draw!
    slickcoder
    sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 1,217 Times in 254 Posts
    there are different styles you could be trying

different types of paintings you acould be trying

different types of line work you could be trying

different mediums you could be trying

different worlds you could be exploring

different subjects to study

there so many reasons to keep yourself busy.... if frustration is your block, that is understandable... but there's no magic word i can tell type desolve that. Pick up your pencil, and try.

Thanks
    Woo. Still got them coming.
    Thanks alot guys.

Slickcoder: Thats the nicest thing you've ever said hehe.
    Davi: I don't have a fixed style at the mo so i keep trying diff ones
    and i'm very limited to mediums in this house. can't even have a pot noodle without getting in trouble. i'm serious.
    People who mentioned music: Yes i love drawing to music. just needed to find some bands for inspiration. Gorillaz is working now and everclear. fave band!

Anyway. hopefully i can turn out pages upon pages of drawings and update m y SKETCHBOOK with needs crits hint hint hehe.

Thanks
    i have the saaame problem

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast