Thanks

we NEED NOOBIE sub-forum

basically ive seen a lot of this. a less expieerenced artist will come to the forum and ask the same question that 10 other people asked before. then since people are tired of repeating themselves they dont help the person. i think it would be great to have an entire subforum dedicated to "noobie artists". have it organized with stickys. like basic perspective, basic color theory. well all the basics and also have a faq sticky and put into every noob question that comes to mind and when someone(noob) asks a new question put it in their. not only will it help the less expierenced artists grow it will also help minimize agravation among more "talented" people because they wouldnt be repeating themselves. but really its to help "noobs". everyone wins. i wouldnt mind helping put together something like this but i would need the help of the admins to grant a new subforum for this. i think this would be a great community project. have everyone put in their input then take it, organize it, and sticky the results for aspiring artists everywhere. i know ca.org has a tutorail section but most of it is for mediocre to advanced artists.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    i agree, i'm kinda sick of people like that join this site that are like sitll in middle school and show off their art, and then they get critisized by people who are more "experience". then they get pissed or discouraged...

they DO get kinda annoying after a while...
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Thanks
    im not mad at the noobs, but i think it would benificail to everyone to have something like a wrote above. who has the power to do something like this. manley?

Thanks
    Correct me if I'm wrong (I probably am) but isn't that why there is a "helpful critiques" section where people get moved to?
    Or do you mean in general... that would probably be a shitload of work for the admins to move threads around all day....because I can imagine alot of people won't post in the noob section...everybody will post in the regular sections (as they do now, until they get moved). Anyway just a thought...

cheers,

NIC

Thanks
    you guys amaze me. What on earth gives you the right to determine what is worth of being posted where. Yes there are people who ask the same questions repeatedly however you dont have to answer them. If they dont read the FAQ's that has everything posted in them why on earth would they read some stickies? Also we already have the the critiques forum to aid people of any skill level, and we certainly have a whole forum full of tutorials, the good ones of which are stickied.

Assuming that these "middle school kids" get offended at critique, wouldnt putting them in a noob forum make it even worse? That hardly helps, a segregation of a group of artists like that goes completely against the whole idea of being exposed to a variety of diffrent stuff. And btw the only 2 middle school kids i know of on the forum both work very hard to achieve what they want and most definetly take all crits onboard, one of em even came to the workshop. Think about what your saying reallly carefully. And then if your still for it, where would you place yourself?
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Nicely put red_rook.

Everyone was a beginner at one point in time, we all have to start somewhere, its neither helpful or mature to put someone down simply because they are at different point in time than you. (I think this is what blue puppy was trying to say to an extent)

If you search around on these boards though, there is a place for everyone from beginner to professional already. You just need to look. Its like a treasure chest.

Another thing to think about is this. Most of the moderators here do this on their spare time. Its not their full time job. We should help them out by kindly pointing the new people out to the proper forums, threads, stickies and tutorials.

The fact is we're all on a different timeline in life, why cut someone down because they were where you were a year ago? It is illogical. And have patience!

Segregation to any further degree is not needed either. What makes these boards so special (and you bet your arse they are special to me)? The fact that you can come here and intermingle with people who are your inspiration, people who are now, where you want to be in the future.

Yes, its true that some people don't look around before posting, its true that some people don't take critiques well, and its true that there are folk that come here thinking they are hot shots. If you can't handle it, then dont' post on their threads. Why not try to show them a mature answer, they might listen and improve.

I would gladly volunteer to help in a patient manner, these new comers who are, shall we say lost. I am home almost 24-7, and despite any physical setbacks I can usually always manage to be on the boards and post.

These forums are OUTSTANDING, as a learning tool, communication tool with other artists, a wealth of inspiration, and there is just no other place like it in my opinion.

No boards are perfect, but after looking around, I can tell you that there are no other boards that come close to this... The mods and those that make this all possible are doing an AWESOME job... i'm not trying to kissass either, its just how I feel.
    --marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    wtf. no.no.NO.
    NOONE WOULD POST WORK IN THE NOOB SECTION IT IS A COLLECTION OF FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS AND OTHER RESOURCES FOR AMETUERS. NOT A PLACE TO POST WORK. IT WOULD BE "A NOOB RESOURCE SECTION". i dont know where you get off saying that shit(red). im saying that if you had a section with a whole bunch of foundation ametuer stuff, more beginners would get there questions answered because they wouldnt have to rely on someone answering their post. its a resource area that is all. maybe it would be called "foundations for ametuers".

Thanks
    calm down. And we have that. It takes about 6 seconds to find it. The thing is people wont read it, like they dont read the FAQ its just so much easier to make a thread asking a question. Most people grasp most things most of the time. 17699 members i think the infrequency of the questions being asked is acctually pretty good. and dont tell me im talking shit, it wasnt just in reponse to you but also muffinman so spare me your bulshit.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Weird.
    Actually it is the policy of CA that there shouldn't be a flood of crappy 5 min anime sketches by middle school kids ...
    and that people who want to post here should have the goal to improve. Or has that changed?

As nicolas wrote the Helpful Critiques section is for beginner's art. That is why art gets moved (or got moved? dunno) there.
    It is benefical for everybody ... people who want to see inspiring art here (in It's Finally Finished) as well as for beginners who want appropriate crits.

There are a lot of resources in the LIFE DRAWING, LEARNING, & TECHNIQUES forum and the sub forum.
    In the CA Academy we try to collect exercises and show the big picture in lessons.
    Unfortunately I don't have a lot of time ... and I don't know when that will change.
    The professionals here don't have a lot of time either and can't contribute enough to get such a forum with resources up and running ... and to keep it going.

Thanks
    Hm... I know that I, having just joined in anticipation of improving my art skills, would feel an awkward sense of limbo if a n00b forum was posted. I'm a high school senior who's teaching himself as I got fed up with the lack of instruction in the advanced art classes at my school this time last year, and while my work is far from crappy anime sketches and I am cramming my small mind full of anatomy info and such from books, it utterly pales in comparision to the very, very brief glancing I've given several threads in these forums. So that puts me in a kind of weird sub-meta-alternate group, the super-rare "I know I suck next to you, so please tear my drawing apart and tell me what I need to fix to get better, I honestly won't get offended" group. And the problem with being there is that people will see my subpar drawings and may assume I belong in the n00b forum, if such a thing should happen to appear.

Thanks
    just point them to the helpful critiques and middle class forums. if they cant find the answers there, then either they havent looked hard enough, or someone needs to answer their question specifically.

a small amount of maintenance work like this by CA members is preferable to a large amount of work by the admins (i.e., setting up a new sub-forum)
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    I dunno about noob threads...but we definitely need a sticky on a Wacom Tablet thread.

At one point there was an average of 3 new Wacom tablet threads started in one day. Older threads with a wealth of information aren't being dug up and no one seems to understand the search function or even know there's one.

Honestly I'm not really paying attention to noob threads unless they post something in the sketch forum that caught my eye. But I've grown so tired of posting what I know on Wacom threads I'm starting to ignore the new ones too.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Maybe the helpfull critiques forum should'nt be a sub forum of the finished forum. It's very easy to overlook it, just make it a regular forum instead with a clearer name: "noobs here" but then in kind words
    Life is study

Thanks
    There is a sticky thread in this forum. About restructuring and stuff like that.
    It has been mentioned several times that it is a bad idea to keep the helpful critiques forum as a sub forum.
    And that the educational forums shouldn't be spread over all the categories.

Sticky: Forum reorganization - Help the admins!

Apparently the admins don't have the time to change it or don't want to change it.

Same with the sticky thread. Davi says it is enough to add points to the vBulletin forum faq instead of creating one.

SJ Bennighof: People who are past the crappy anime stage may post in the gallery threads.
    You don't have to be a professional to post there ... as long as they put some effort into their paintings/drawings.

The Helpful Critiques forum is there for people who still have to learn the basics.
    At least that is how I understood the rules.