sketchbook advice
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

sketchbook advice

Couple of questions.

1. I'm looking for a paper back, wire bound sketch book, preferably 8.5x11, something durable that I can carry around with me easily. What brand would you recommend?

2. I've had problems with my graphite rubbing off on the back of the page infront of it, happens a lot. What do you guys do about this? Cope with it? Any advice?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I just finished a Derwent hard cover spiral bound 8.5"x11" book. It was an ok sketchbook, the pages were nice and white but the paper quality wasn't as good as the book I have now. It runs about $15 US at any Pat Catan's and comes with a tin of all sorts of HB level pencils which is really nice, as well as a kneaded eraser and a pencil sharpener. In my opinion you should look for something that has better paper. Better paper allows for easier erasing and full erasures (no smudging or leftover, worn in lines. The better the paper the more you can work it with your hands, eraser, and lead. It allows you to push into it a lot and all of that sort of thing. Also, the paper quality usually is smoother with better paper as well, allowing for better shading and pencil marks.
    Right now I just kinda went out on a whim with my new book and bought a hardcover paperbound book with a whole lot of pages. I had never had one before and figured I'd run into a lot of problems. The pages are a little darker and not quite as white, which is ok, I was looking for something sort of toned, beige-ish looking like I've seen on here. The paper quality is pretty nice, much better than my previous book which in my opinion means the most. Along with the nice paper, I think paperbound (not sure what the word is, but it's bound like a novel or textbook.) books present themselves much better. They are a lot cleaner and I don't know, I just like the way it looks. I put some clear laminate slices on it for a designy effect with leftover scraps from a new hi-tac lamination machine we just got. If I had some webspace I'd put up a picture of it. I forget who makes the thing because it doesn't say on it, but I think it might be Canson.

For your graphite problems you ought to pick up a can of some fix-it spray, it will hold the graphite on the page better. I havn't ever used any but I to really need to get me some because a lot of the recent work I've been doing needs to be as pristine as I can make it for my portfolio.

Hope that helps.
    Peace.

Put your hands in the air like you got the heat to your back
    and shake your body like a baby born addicted to crack
    And since lifes a gamble like the crabstables at Vegas
    I freestyle my destiny, it's not written in pages

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the advice. I use fixatif on my larger projects, just didn't know if it'd be safe for sketchbooks. I don't like the paperbound kind for some reason, I think the pages come out too easy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Eric Branston

yeah i had that same problem, but what you can do is put pieces of computer paper (doesnt absorb graphite to well) on top of your drawings. Even better than comp paper is magazines like Time, cause the coating they have doesnt absorb graphite almost at all.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    my main beef with sketchbook and paper in general is that they just don't make it like they used to. (stupid trees with their need to be conserved) Back when I started learning to draw (some 15 years ago - damn, has it really been 15 years) i used comPOOter paper and it was awesome. no heavy smudging, durable, the ink and watercolor didnt bleed through. nowdays all the paer is crap. even the expensive sketchbooks from canson and arches and others. unless you get heavy-duty watercolor paper books its not worth it to shell out themoney for the moderately priced ones. I like to get the huge books from borders at a steal for $8 for 300 pages or so. But even those are starting to suck paperwise. if you really want the spiral kind (i personaly hate them - although they are useful for the travel size) i recomend finding some good quality comPOOter paper that performs to your liking and take it to kinkos and have them spiral bind a few hundred sheets. It'll be cheeper and better quality.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.