Rip my stuff to pieces!! (Constant updates!)
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Rip my stuff to pieces!! (Constant updates!)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Rip my stuff to pieces!! (Constant updates!)

These are among the last things I've done and I'd appreciate some hard crits on all of them.
    All of them I did pretty quick...
    I did the girl to work on anatomy (and I guess poses) so the coloring is kind of rushed.. Say whatever you want, I need it!

Go on, crit away!! No lurking!

Last edited by Fowley; January 18th, 2005 at 12:55 PM.
    Amateur and loving it!
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    her feet are out of perspective and too wide..umm study the structure of the head and all of its planes.. i recommend andrew loomis..second pic the head is missing side planes..there is much to cover...again check out loomis he will steer you in the right direction...your on the path....keep it up

paint! you *%$#@#$ u only have 1 life!check out ilad comics at www.iladonline.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for your comments.

Are you suggesting I buy a book by Andrew Loomis? I've never bought a book for art before, I guess it should be time right about now...
    Just so I don't misunderstand you and you mean something else...

Amateur and loving it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi again there Fowly,

nice to see you post again.
    I like the woman, but as I know very little of anatomy and stuff I think I must agree with el norteno... just work a little on the head and feet, I like the rest .

The head (2nd pic), I think isn't that good, don't get me wrong, I just believe there is something missing, in my opinion the head is to far stretched out..., but the colors are nice

The third pic I think is really good. I like the coloring and the atmosphere...

Greets

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Snot, thx for commenting!

I guess all the comments are spot on so far. The second one I only did to practice skin tones so I guess that's why it's bad in other things. But I guess I don't really know what you're supposed to see of the head from ahead (wee pun...) anyway, so...

Thx, but I'd like a few more harsh crits... I don't have time to paint at the moment really, so I could atleast get tips on what I should think about, right?

Amateur and loving it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    heya Fowley, awesome to see you working on anatomy.

You could buy a book or books, its always helpful to have something like that around. If money is tight, or you are just looking for different resources, there are some tutorials here that are great.

On the girl and the face I think that working on them in color at this point might be distracting from learning the planes and forms.

Did you draw the girl from reference? Her clothes seem painted onto her body. I think along with anatomy it would be very beneficial to draw people from reference in clothes, to get the hang of how it falls and way things create wrinkles etc.

There are some great tutories on this site here are a couple links

Fred Flickstones head tutorial

Fred Flickstones figure drawing tutorial

Fred Flickstones Drapery Tutorial this one should help with clothes and fabric.

Yet another Fred Flickstone Figure drawing tutorial

This section Tutorials tips and tricks is awesom, can go through and see a lot of posts made that ask all kinds of questions, often I'll find someone else asking the same thing I want to know and the answer is there.

Oh here is a good thread discussing books! here

Ohh and here is one that is really helping me with heads! Good Assignment here I had to search a little to find it, but I went through and saw what other people did and mr. flickstone's replies and went from there. Its a great assignment and really helps!

I know a bunch of links dont' specifically help you with the first two pictures, but the way to improve is to practice and learn. Those should really help.

The last picture seems a bit off, I'm not perspective expert but I think that as the path gets farther from us it should narrow a bit more visibly?

I think all the pics could use some harder edges and a wider range of values, definately in the face, but I think doing that assignment I linked above will really help with that!

Good job so far and keep at it. Hope those links helped you some !

--marie--

Don't forget to read the stickied FAQ's before posting

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow, now that's a helpful post if I ever saw one!!!

Thanks alot Marie, I'll be sure to check out all those links, to see if there are any I've missed! I have actually looked alot in the tutorial forum around here.

Obviously I'd rather not spend money on books, but if that's where the best info is...

About Andrew Loomis, I ran a quick search on his name on Google and the first site I checked out was this:

http://www.saveloomis.org/

It seems his books are completely on the internet, you can read them and everything!!
    How can this be, is that legal?

I think all your crits were spot on too.. I'll be practicing!

Amateur and loving it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got a few new things I'd like you to take a look at...

This one I did in about an hours work. I kinda like it, but please tell me what you like and don't like about it.

This one I did a few days ago when I just wanted to do something fun and uncomplicated. Oh, and the jpg compression (photobucket...) totally screwed this one, and resized it to half it's size.
    Dunno what that's about.

Have a go, if you'd like!

Edit: seems th weirdface is at it's real size now...

Last edited by Fowley; January 14th, 2005 at 05:12 AM.
    Amateur and loving it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    just a quick note on skin tones.

i like your start, by the way. showing real intention on the learning side of art.

but back to skin tone. if you study it carefully, you'll find that skin is not just made from pinks and earthtones. there are underlayers that bring depth to skin, so as to not look like it's painted on with makeup. i'd recommend first laying down the highlights and shadows monochromatically. i've seen many people use a green wash underneath skin tones, and seems to work really well. once the darks and lights are laid in, then you can go with more localized color.

remember, you're not trying to paint skin, you're trying to pain "light".

have fun.

Hey dog. . . . did you see the size of that chicken?!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all...
    I haven't really had any time to paint since last I posted, but I managed to play around tonight, tried to incorporate Prehistorics advice (thank you, btw!) into it.
    It doesn't really look like (realistic) skin to me, but it sure got alot more interesting now.
    Also, I just now realized the contrast sucked, when I was supposed to post.

As usual. I gotta work on that.

So, hit me!

Edit: It'd be great if someone could change the title to include "Constant updates!", but I'm not sure I've seen any mods in this section..?

Edit2: Ahh... I'm not used to the editing not being limited to 15 minutes after posting...
    Thanks snotboebel!

Last edited by Fowley; January 18th, 2005 at 12:59 PM. Reason: Updates
    Amateur and loving it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    haven't got time to crit your posts, I will eventually don't worry

But you can edit your first and just change the title !

greets

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Anxiously awaiting your crits snotboebel...

With 260 views I'd expect more than like 4 comments ...

People are too damn shy on these forums, everybody just lurk...

Anyways, I haven't had alot of time lately, but I'll be updating constantly here in the very near future.

Amateur and loving it!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ok Fowley, I'm back

First of all I want to say, very nice to really see you experimenting, keep it up !

I like the first of the updated-pics, It has a nice dark feel to it, for an hour of work, It's very nice I think... maybe (if you are still interested in the piece) give it some more detail, with a sharp brush, maybe some blood dripping from the teeth (which I like very much, they look creepy ! ), or just give some nice zombie-like detail to the skin... well, just experiment some more ! 8) .

For the weird-face ... uuhm ... yea It's defenitely weird . But looks nice though, maybe if you refine it more It will look like an Indian-god-face-statue-thing.... nevermind .

Now the last piece is quite interesting, It's nice to see experimenting on skintones. I suck at it, I keep using pink and browns, but It never looks realistic . Your work is a small improvement I believe, It maybe looks strange but if you keep experimenting with those green tones and so on, I think you'll eventually get there ... I should try it to !

Keep it up !

(And Fowley, can you please check my thread again if you will, because nobody has replied in a while, and I don't know if my last pic is visible, maybe it's still a redcross .... thanks in advance, cheers !)

Snotboebel

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all i want to say hello and nice meeting you!!! i like that zombie thing nice work, the teeth or whatever they are look very cool !!! what program did u use to create it ? is it photoshop ??? here's a bow!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Fence
    First of all i want to say hello and nice meeting you!!! i like that zombie thing nice work, the teeth or whatever they are look very cool !!! what program did u use to create it ? is it photoshop ??? here's a bow!!!
    Nice meeting you too.
    I'm not actually sure what those red things are, from the beginning it was supposed to be his mouth that was sown together (spelling...?), you know like patching a pair of trousers or something. But then I looked at it and thought it could be teeth as well.. But whatever, I liked the look...

It's all photoshop. I used a brush made up of small dots so it would give a look more like a real brush.

And wow, a bow!? That was undeserved!

Amateur and loving it!

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.