Art: Time management

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: Time management

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Unhappy Time management

Hi all. Im trying to find myself as an artist again after a decade of laziness. I want to find time to just sit down and draw and paint whatever. I love it but my confidence as an artist has gone, I want it back. Looking at the paintings on this forum has inspired me so much.

My question is, how do you all find the time to do all this work? I have a full time dead end job that I need to pay the rent and survive but i would much rather make a living from my talent and love-drawing and painting.I also have other hobbies such as djing and i have a girlfriend too who i live with who also demands some time of course! My mind is muddled and feeling rushed...
    Any help would be much appreciated..

Whos the dead guy with the salt shaker?
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi JOhn
    I am there with you. I have decided as well to stop making excuses and start doing. I have some ideas that you may find interesting.....

Sketching, getting into the artist "head" is a lot easier then you think, and a lot faster. (since I like 2 hours from my job and support my family as well) Take your sketch pad everywhere. During lunch go to a park, library or whereever you want to eat and sketch people - I'm talking like 30 second sketches. Do 5 or how many you want to do. At night before you go to bed, look around your house and sketch things, like your furniture - again 30 sec sketches.

Then on the weekend, take ALL the sketches from the week and see what you can do with them.

You can't expect yourself to get back into it right away and to be totally inspired all the time - give yourself time, but realize that all you have to do is really pick up the pencil and DO it.

Also, read read read, get magazine subscriptions, library books on anatomy, ect...

Good Luck! Hope this helps
    Vivian

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    its all about sacrifice and its hard

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vmandala is right about making excuses. Really look at the things you're spending your time on and ask yourself if you should be drawing/painting. For me video games is a killer. I just finished Metal Gear Solid 3 and the time on it said 35 hours(would be faster but it's the first time I beat it). Although I am inspired by everything in the game, I really need to cut back on it. Fortunately I don't get hooked on TV as much as before.

Really be honest with your time, draw something whenever you have ANY dull time. Bring a sketchbook with you at all times. Either get a small one that will fit in your pocket or a bag like mine:
    Time management
    I'm preaching to myself too so don't think I'm being self-righteous Just keep drawing and don't get discouraged.

Ok, I'm done posting... Back to drawin'!

Ephesians 2:8
    Sketchbooks Finished: 9 (Dec 17, 2006)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks very much to all, great advice. I guess im just lazy and need some motivation! I must force myself to draw, gettin too caught up in modern forms of entertainment also (PS2, p.c. and tv!) As a child id spend 4-5 hours in complete silence almost every day just drawing. Of course i only had a tv with 2 channels!
    Anyway thanks again guys, ill post some work hopefully in the future.

Whos the dead guy with the salt shaker?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by johnegg12
    My question is, how do you all find the time to do all this work? I have a full time dead end job that I need to pay the rent and survive but i would much rather make a living from my talent and love-drawing and painting.
    Heh. I don't remember writing that, but it sounds like something I'd say. I work at an art supply company, but it's not as exciting as it sounds. I really hadn't done any art in about 5 years, but made a commitment to it about 6 months ago. I bring a sketchbook with me to lunch and doodle on a notepad when I've got a free moment at work. Sites like this and www.cgtalk.com have allowed me to share my sketches with other people and receive constructive criticism. I draw at night (sometimes very late) and post a few times a week. As far as spending time with your girlfriend, you could always ask if she'd pose for a portrait.

I hope you stick with it. I'm not always well rested, but I'm grateful for every sketch that I'm able to do.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah I think it just gets down to dedication. I went back to school full time last year. I graduated in 93 and it was hard at first but you get used to it. I dont really regret taking so long to go back because you always pick up some life experience and I'm much more dedicated now. I also work full time at night and help raise two kids. It just gets down to how bad do you really want to be an artist. You either buckle down and start or find yourself at 50 still doing a shitty job you cant stand. You also need people (like your girlfriend) who support you and are willing to sacrifice a little to see you fulfill your dreams.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

i try to draw all the time whereever iam.. when u wait.. u can draw... maybe u just wait 10 sec .. but its enough to one quick sketch

i also have my mobile sketchbook .. its just a part of my body..

i draw when i go home by subway.. when i wait for subway...i draw when i eat.. brakfast... lunch.. *my mum got frustrated sometimes... but i cant stop *

we have the time.. but it will slip away if we fail to grap it as hard as we can...

someone said.. its an music star...dunno name :/
    : we wasted so much good times having good times :

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wowwie wow wow. I got home this afternoon and I was going to post a msg exactly like the one John did. I'm pretty much in the same boat - wondering where I'm going to find the time to hone my drawing skills with all the distractions I have: boring, frustrating "career", video games, TV, work outs, social life, etc.

Every once and a while, it's good to have someone tell you: ya gotta make the time.

Speaking of which...

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.