Painter IX n00b question: rake tool.

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Painter IX n00b question: rake tool.

Hello folks, I'm wandering around in Painter IX, trying to understand what all the sliders do.

So, I've got a question about the rake tool. Android uses it often (http://www.conceptart.org/artist/and..._deathfear.jpg , for example). I just can't seem to get that effect. What brush must I take, what dab types must I change, etc?
    I'm just too dumb to find it.

thanks in advance.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi,

You're not dumb. There's a lot to learn in Painter, any version. It does help to read Painter IX Help > Help Topics so I'd suggest setting aside some time to do that. It'll save you a lot of time and frustration in the long run and make using Painter IX more fun.

Before I give you some suggestions about the "rake tool", let me explain a few things that'll also save both you and anyone trying to help you a lot of time:

1. In relation to pixel based drawing and painting in Painter, there's only one Tool, the Brush tool found in the Tools palette.

2. Painter's brush hierarchy is:

Brush Library > Brush Category > Brush Variant

In other words, a brush library contains one or more brush categories and a brush category contains one or more brush variants. The default Painter IX Painter Brushes brush library contains (a rough count) 33 brush categories and each brush category contains several brush variants. All together, there are hundreds of brush variants in the Painter IX default Painter Brushes brush library, too many to take the time to count right now.

3. When the Brush tool is active (click the B key for freehand strokes and the V key for straight line strokes), we choose a brush category (i.e., Pens category or Artist's Oils category), then choose one of its brush variants (i.e. the Pens' Scratchboard Rake variant, or the Artist's Oils' Wet Oily Brush variant ) and begin drawing or painting.

4. Whenever possible, when you ask a question about a particular brush variant and it's behavior or it's controls, be sure to specify both the brush category and the brush variant name, exactly as you see it in Painter. Vague terms like "rake tool" are not helpful since there is no brush variant in Painter with that name. If Andrew said anything more about this brush variant, we might be able to figure out which one it was, so if (for example) you'd been able to post a link to a thread where he talked about it, that would possibly have been helpful.

5. You were thoughtful enough to specify the Painter version you're using, so thanks. That does at least narrow down the options to one version. They are so different and when we don't know the version, we can only guess.. and sometimes are just stuck since whatever we're told just isn't enough to even begin answering a question. Whatever detail you can include will always help, so try to do that as much as you can.

Now back to the "rake tool", or at least the effect Andrew is getting in his painting:

That effect, or something close to it, could be achieved using one of several brush variants and making appropriate setting adjustments.

• One example would be the Pens' Scratchboard Rake, for which the Stroke Type is Rake, with adjustments made in the Rake palette to the Brush Scale slider (move to the right to spread out the bristles) and the Bristles slider (move to the right to add more bristles). To learn more about using the Rake palette controls, go to:

Painter IX Help > Help Topics > Contents tab > Customizing Brushes

On the page that displays in the right panel, click the link named "Managing Settings and Controls". On the next page, scroll down to the section named "Rake Controls" and read all of that section (down to the next section named "Random Controls", another subject).

• Another brush variant for which the Stroke Type is Rake is the Sumi-e's Digital Sumi-e variant. In its default state, in the Rake palette, you'll see the Spread Bristles box is checked and if you paint a brushstroke, you'll see that it begins and ends with the bristles gathered together in a point. If you uncheck the Spread Bristles box, the brushstroke will begin and end with the bristles evenly spaced throughout the brushstroke.

I think this should do the trick, but if you have other questions about which brush variant Andrew used, you might try e-mailing him and asking the following:

• Painter version number

• Brush Library (exact name, if not the default brush library for that version, was it on the CD or did he find it somewhere else)

• Brush Category (exact name)

• Brush Variant (exact name)

Hope this helps and you can have some fun now.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, thanks, thanks.

Your thorough reply helped me a lot. Thank you.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You're welcome (x3). I'm happy to hear it helped.

Oh, and you're welcome again.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey buddy. that rake effect is actually done with the Loaded Palette Knife, with the "feature" turned up. to adjust the "feature" slider, go to Window>Brush Tools> Show Size. the adjestment is near the bottom of the window. The higher the feature, the fewer lines appear

=BoB=

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    True, it can also be done with the Palette Knives' Loaded Palette Knife variant and Size palette's Feature slider moved to the right to spread out the lines.

It may be more difficult to use that variant if the artist doesn't have a Wacom tablet that supports Tilt.

No doubt there are other brush variants besides the ones I mentioned and the Loaded Palette Knife that can also be adjusted to paint parallel lines.

It's really a matter of preference and it doesn't matter much what another artists uses, except maybe as a starting point to learn something about how brush variants work and how to control them.... if you get the results you want.

By the way, there's more than one Loaded Palette Knife in some Painter versions' brush categories:

Painter IX - Impasto and Palette Knives

Painter 8 - Impasto and Palette Knives

Painter 7 - Brushes and Impasto

Painter 6 - Brushes and Impasto

Jinny

Last edited by Jin; January 11th, 2005 at 03:38 PM.

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.