Art: New member's Doomguy
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: New member's Doomguy

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

New member's Doomguy

This is a pencil drawn, Photoshop coloured picture of the doomguy (the guy from doom) I gave him sleeves since it seemed a bit odd for marines ot go around with no sleeves with high tech armor. Took me ages, not because I work slow but I couldn't get round to doing it, but now its finished!
    Constructive criticism would be appreciated, I'm quite new to the Photoshop colouring field.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Needs more of a background than what is shown. Unless he is standing in a big open arena I think the flare light would light up more things around him. Not brightly, but you could see a hint of things.

His proportions look decent but I would suggest working on his face more. It looks squashed and a bit wide. Looks like you took one side of it and flipped it.

On the lighting, the areas of his body in the light are going to be brighter near his feet and less as the light travels up. Therefore, I think his face and hands are too bright. It wouldn't hurt to add some brighter highlights to his boots. Work on that flare a little more too. Took me a second to figure out what it was. Looks like you have a little red light hitting his shoulder. This is great and I think you should take it a little further.

Also, it looks like you are using a mouse. This is fine but it takes more patience to get a smooth look. Learn how to use the Pen tool and make path selections to isolate the areas you are coloring. Might help. Try to get a straighter line on the flare and the ceiling lights.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks, man. I actually used a tablet, but I've only had time to use it 3 or 4 times, so I'm severely lacking in practice with it. His face is squashed isnt it? I was kind of stuck with whether to make it less squashed or now, because the doomguy's face is kind of broad.
    Lighting wise is also something I'm new at, but I liked to experiment with shadows and light, which is what I tried to do in this picture.

But thanks for the comments! I might modify this picture but it is unlikely, I'd need something new to work on, maybe my Syringe character (in sketches forum)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Caitlin's is right; the body anatomy isn't too bad, but in addition to the face being rather wide, the elements are impropoerly placed (the top of his head is chopped off) and the value shifts are enormous (the teeth and whites of the eyes aren't actually supposed to be white). He also doesn't seem to be standing on the ground. While I like a wide stance, especially with one foot in front of the other (twist adds interest), this one is so wide as to unbalance him, as well as leaving his soles angled against the deck.

From a composition standpoint, the lights in the ceiling detract a lot from the piece, as they lead the eye away from the focus and into nothing.

This isn't bad at all, but I would recommend getting into the position you want to draw prior to sketching (maybe even taking a digital shot), then work up several little thumbnail sketches to exam different poses and angles. And of course, everyone profits from more anatomy study and hand work.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    finished? hmm..

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Evil
    finished? hmm..
    me three.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.