Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast
    Thanks
    from drawing club this weekend...
    MerMuse Sketchbook

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    incredible! This last one especially is gorgeous!

Thanks
    the last one is amazing.
    it would be even better if you defined the character a little more, and separated him from the background better. i want to see some more line drawings and sketches, even though your paintings do looks fabulous. hehe, keep it up-

Thanks
    Where's Cheech Wizard? I like your studies of Vaughn Bode's work. Mermuse, Have you seen the Lizard of Oz book by Mark Bode' yet? If not you should check it out. The Dalek studies are cool too, it's always nice to see some graffiti writer on these forums.

Thanks
    Great stuff as always mermuse. That last one's pretty cool indeed.

Thanks
    and now for something completely different....

MerMuse Sketchbook

This is a visual comp for a board game I'm working on. I've been play testing the game for the last week with my girlfriend but we were using chess pieces to play with and that ended up being too confusing (because the pieces in this game don't move or capture like chess). So I quickly took some random art from the internet to piece together a comp. Once we have tested this I'll go ahead and make the final art for it. I haven't decided if I want the board to look like a map or like carved stone in the final design... I guess I need to do a few more comps.

THE GAME

inspiration- this game is inspired by my two favorite board games. Street Soccer (a modern Dutch game) and Chaturanga (an early version of chess). The game is designed to be a combat game but seeks to avoid the imbalances that lead to predictable endgames. To avoid those problems I have made it possible for the players to respawn captured pieces.

how to win- The first player to get 3 points wins. You get points by holding the center objective or by capturing an opponents king.

how to play- Each turn the active player rolls 2D6. They use the numbers on each dice to move and attack with a different piece. If doubles are rolled then instead of moving two pieces you can choose to move the same piece twice. The active piece must use the entire number rolled on the die to move or move and attack.

moving and attacking- piece may only move and attack along horizontals and verticals (diagonals are not allowed). All pieces move the same... expending one dice point to move each square. The different pieces have different defense values represented by the number of dots on the piece. These represent the amount of dice points needed to capture the piece. The pawns have one dot, the bishops two dots, the knight three dots, the rook four dots, and the king has six dots (The names of the pieces are not important only the numbers... the names don't make sense because I haven't renamed the pieces to match the Aztec/Inca theme yet). So to capture a rook on a roll of a five you would have to move one square and then capture with the remaining four points. To capture a king you already have to be adjacent to him and roll a six. To capture you do not move into the same square as the piece... you capture from adjacent squares. This allows a piece to attack nearby pieces without having to move out of the objective area.

example - on the first turn the green player rolls a 4 and a 6. He moves his king one square to the side and three forward to take a center square (die 4). The King's pawn then moves forward five and captures the red king's pawn with the remaining one point (die 6).

respawn- If you have pieces which have been captured you may give up your highest dice roll to respawn them in your corner. The corner respawn square is marked with an arrow symbol. If there is already a piece in that square you cannot respawn. An enemy can move to your respawn square to keep you from bringing in reinforcements.

Objective- The primary objective is to take and hold the center (the area marked with the large sun symbol). To do this you must end a turn with you having at least one piece in the center four squares and your enemy must not have any pieces in those squares. If at the beginning of the next turn your opponent has not moved into one of the center squares or removed all your pieces in the center you score a point.

Bonus- Each time a point is scored the opponent of the scoring player gets a reroll token. Each token can be used once to reroll one die. This rule was added to give the loosing player a little momentum to make a comeback. The closer the score the more exciting and memorable the experience so this bonus is designed to keep the game balanced and fast paced.

Players - So far I have only played with two players but The game would also work with four players... each controlling a corner spawn point.

Thanks
    whoa. awesome. ill keep an eye on this one.

Thanks
    from class last night....

MerMuse Sketchbook
    MerMuse Sketchbook

the pose and lighting were boring so I tried to play around with the color
    and texture to create some visual interest.

Thanks
    I think it worked.

Thanks
    from drawing club last night...

MerMuse Sketchbook MerMuse Sketchbook

Thanks
    Here's the physical prototype for my board game. So far I'm still missing a lot of
    pieces but this was just a test to see how well the painted board surface would
    hold up and what the best approach would be to painting the game pieces.

MerMuse Sketchbook

I've got to say its really refreshing to work on an personal art project that is
    actually functional and useful. I'm getting really tired of paintings and drawings...
    the process is fun but you end up with something in the end that just takes up
    space. I've been play testing this game allot lately and its really addictive.

I'm planning on turning the 2D prototype into a flash game and having some
    tutorials included to illustrate the game rules.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to mermuse For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    your too creative for your own good... your drawings are amazing and your ideas are more amazing... do us and yourself a favor and dont stop drawing!!!
    Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    a study from Sam Flores and studies from street stickers...

MerMuse Sketchbook

Thanks
    damn... sweet digitals man. no crits from me. just post more and you'll keep my addiction satisfied. =p
    -all right.. what is it you want to do when you grow up?
    -"ey yo, i'm gonna be on ti-dop, that's all my eyes can see, victory is mine, yeah surprisingly, i've been layin.. waiting for your next mistake, i put in work and watch my status escalate." -guru [gangstarr]

"hell is not a place you go if you're not a christian,
    it's the failure of your life's greatest ambition"
    -immortal technique

"just do it"
    -nike

my shit http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=46910

Thanks
    You have some nice work going on. I love how your playing with different styles and showng some graff too.

Page 18 of 35 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 ... LastLast