ITT Tech = Gimpy?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

ITT Tech = Gimpy?

Ok, so Ive decided that I want to go to college near my Fiance, shes going to St Louis University. But I still want to go to a good art school for 3d modeling/ animation. Well theres like 4-5 Good unviersities, Art Institute Illionois, Defiance University, 3 in Chicago (forget the names) not huge art schools but liberal arts colleges with decent 3d animation/ modelling programs.. All of which are about 5 hours away from her.

Theres only one college closer then those; its ITT Technical Institue in Arnold MO. ONly 20 minutes from her.

Their website says they offer exactly what I want, 3d modeling and animation... But... From what i hear from friends, mixed reports of students, as well as my own prejeduce against schools advertized on the TV (When I see comercials for school I think fly-by-night hell holes) its not the best school in the world.

Am I wrong? Or is it a good school for me? Obviously if I go there im gonna go abck to college, probably later in life for more broad education (my passions in writing, and Christian studies being those things) But form I see of liberal art colleges, 3d animation/modeling is so new (last 10 years or so) that it still isnt in the more prestigous universities or liberal arts colleges.

I couldnt go to a college that offers good religious studies majors, or writing majors, and get a good degree in computer graphics; am I right on this, or am I missing somthing?

So, bottom line... ITT = Bad, or Good?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Ps. Comming from my old topic on so-cal art colleges. Checked out the art centner, and sadly... I love art, I want to be an animator, but im not good enough to get into a school that requires a porfolio... I dont even have neough art to fill one yet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aces155
    Ps. Comming from my old topic on so-cal art colleges. Checked out the art centner, and sadly... I love art, I want to be an animator, but im not good enough to get into a school that requires a porfolio... I dont even have neough art to fill one yet.
    Waitaminute now... you love art and yet you can't get into a school that requires a portfolio? I know this might not be what you want to hear but why not take the time to crank out enough gorgeous pieces in order to be accepted into a program like that? After all, if you can't take the time to get enough pieces together for a college program, how do you expect to get a job as an animator? From the sounds of it- both tracts that you plan on taking would require a portfolio.

Think of college as an investment in yourself. The less you invest the less of a return you'll get back. If you're already having doubts of these trade school sort of places how do you expect to do well there?

Don't let the proximity to your fiance be that much of a determiner of a school for you. You need to take care of your things as well; she seems to be doing likewise by investing her time in a quality school as well. You guys are already committed to one another obviously so yeah, it might stink being in a long distance relationship for awhile but in the end, you'll both be taking the time to be the best you can be for not just one another, but for yourselves as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I hear what your saying. Lemme just rephrase. I have enough drawings lying around for a big porfolio, but Im not good enough to be seriously considered, which SUCKS because I know what I am now, im an artist, I love art. I just found out too late.

Check out my sketchbook and you can see what I mean.

My Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by aces155
    I hear what your saying. Lemme just rephrase. I have enough drawings lying around for a big porfolio, but Im not good enough to be seriously considered, which SUCKS because I know what I am now, im an artist, I love art. I just found out too late.

Check out my sketchbook and you can see what I mean.

My Sketchbook
    I took a look at I don't think it's that bad. You seem to draw very well but you just need to finish a little better. Take some time off and finish off a few of these drawings. Add a few tighter pieces to your portfolio and I think you could get in to an established art school. Worst case scenario is you might get accepted "conditionally"- where your'e on parole upon entering your first semester. Once you're in the program- bust your ass, catch up and get on track.

And it's fine that you found out NOW that you're an artist. Now is just the time to come up with enough pieces to prove it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If its anything like the ITT tech here I say don't do it. You'll be sorry.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Grooveholmes
    If its anything like the ITT tech here I say don't do it. You'll be sorry.

Not that I doubt you but could you list the reasons why it's good or bad? The only reason I ask is because EVERY student at every institution is liable to bitch & moan as to why their school sucks. Even graduates complain about how horrible their program is and yet they go through four years of it.

Any info would help.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh I didnt go to ITT. I've heard stories from a couple people that did and they said it was a joke. From my experience it's usually best to stay away from schools that are a part of a big chain, as they tend to be very corporate oriented and have an atmosphere styfiling to creativity.

-gh

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Don't do it. There are better choices. While it may vary school to school, the courses are very generalized and you don't get into the good stuff until the last third of the program. I got some software and tech knowledge out of it, but it seems we were always talking about all the bad shit on breaks. We had a good teacher, but the administration just doesnt care...they don't look at the multimedia program the same as their electronics, cad, and cns programs.

There were some pros, but mostly cons.

Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't waste talent like this in ITT Tech, which kind of means you've got a pretty damn difficult choice ahead of you here. I don't know how tight you and the fiance are, but I don't know of any loving woman who wouldn't be supportive of the man in her life making a life choice that would very well fulfill his dreams in so many ways, especially if she can see what potential you've got here already. I'd check out quality schools with strong art programs, or departments, and apply. I'm sure the fiance will understand, encourage and support it.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.