Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Will Eisner

Thanks
    Thanked 16,685 Times in 5,021 Posts

Will Eisner

Will Eisner died Monday. Here's the official press release fom Bob Adelman, who was collaborating with Eisner on his autobiography.

Legendary comics and graphic novel artist and writer Will Eisner died last night, Monday, January 3, 2005, in Fort Lauderdale, Florida, at the age of 87, following complications from quadruple heart bypass surgery.

Will Eisner didn't create Superman, Batman, Spider-Man or even Archie and Jughead. Some comic book fans may scratch their heads when asked to describe his work. But every artist and writer in comic books, as well as graphic artists across the entire spectrum of modern illustration, television and film, owes a debt to him.

In 1941, Eisner created a goofball detective named Denny Colt who died (not really) and was reborn as "The Spirit," the cemetery-dwelling protector of the public - and pretty girls in particular. The Spirit possessed no superpowers. He couldn't see through his girlfriend's clothing the way a curious alien like the Man of Steel might scientifically investigate Lois Lane. And he wasn't a brilliant technologist like Batman, imagineering hokey gadgets and psychedelic compounds for all-night parties with the Joker.

The Spirit broke so many molds:

* Eisner was the strip's artist and writer, a feat that is still rare today.

* The Spirit was published and distributed as an insert in Sunday newspapers, ala Parade magazine. It was seen weekly by as many as 5-million people from 1941 to 1952.

* No two Spirit sections looked alike. Although most commercial operations - from Superman to Pepsi-Cola - spend millions of dollars testing, proving and marketing their logos, Eisner thought it was more challenging to change The Spirit's masthead every week - for 12 years.

* The Spirit was a fun, mature read, aimed at adults but accessible to kids.

For all of these reasons, The Spirit was published and reissued in various forms almost uninterrupted for 60 years. Its look, feel and smartass humor is timeless, which accounts for the countless revivals.

Eisner, who went to high school with "Batman" creator Bob Kane, provided first jobs in the comics business to everyone from Jack Kirby (co-creator of "Captain America" and the "Fantastic Four") to Pulitzer-winning writer and artist Jules Feiffer.

If not for Eisner's influence, Pulitzer Prize winner Art Spiegelman might never have published his graphic novel Maus: A Survivor's Tale (Eisner is credited with popularizing - if not inventing - the medium of the graphic novel with the 1978 publication of his graphic story collection, A Contract With God) and fellow Pulitzer Prize-winner Michael Chabon's The Amazing Adventures of Kavalier & Clay would have been missing quite a few Eisner-inspired tales.

For comic book professionals, the highest honor in the industry is either an Eisner Award, named for Eisner and given out every summer at Comic-Con International in San Diego, or a Harvey Award, named for Eisner's late friend Harvey Kurtzman, the creator of Mad magazine and Playboy's "Little Annie Fanny," given every April in Pittsburgh. Kurtzman, who discovered talents as diverse as R. Crumb and Gloria Steinem, passed away in 1993, making Eisner the last man standing.

Literally.

At every Eisner Awards ceremony, each recipient was handed his or her award by the man himself.

Several years ago, a big red velvet chair was put on stage for Eisner. The Eisner Awards promoters said, "Come on, Will, you shouldn't have to stand up all this time; here, have a seat." Eisner sat on it briefly, got a laugh out of it, but then he stood up again, and stayed on his feet the rest of the night. Eisner demonstrated his strength of character and enduring physical wherewithal by standing on stage throughout the entire presentation, shaking hands and personally congratulating the winners. Because there is a different presenter for each award, no one else stood for as long as Eisner.

That's why, when Eisner handed the 2002 Eisner Award for Best Serialized Story (Amazing Spider-Man #30-35: "Coming Home") to writer J. Michael Straczynski and artists John Romita Jr. and Scott Hanna, Straczynski thrust the award in the air and remarked, "You know, you get the Emmy, you don't get it from 'Emmy.' You win the Oscar, you don't get it from 'Oscar.' How freakin' cool is this?"

Published in November 2004, DC Comics' The Will Eisner Companion is the first comprehensive, critical overview of the work of this legendary writer/artist. Divided into two sections - his Spirit work and his graphic novels - this authorized companion features all-new critical and historical essays by noted comics historians N.C. Christopher Couch and Stephen Weiner, as well as alphabetical indexes relating to all aspects and characters in his oeuvre. Also includes a chronology, a bibliography and suggested reading lists, as well as an introduction by Dennis O'Neil.

A new generation of comics fans learned about the man in the 1970s when underground comix publisher Denis Kitchen began reprinting "The Spirit" stories and eventually produced new stories of the character by top comic book talent including Alan Moore, Dave Gibbons and Neil Gaiman. Kitchen became one of Eisner's closest friends and confidants, as well as his personal representative and literary agent (with Judith Hansen). (Kitchen can be reached via email at denis@deniskitchen.com.)

More recently, "John Law," a 56-year- old Will Eisner character, was given fresh life and adventures in 2002 by Australian artist and writer Gary Chaloner as an online comic book hero at ModernTales.com. In December 2004, Law returned to print in IDW Publishing's "Will Eisner's John Law" hardcover trade paperback. These stories were the first original John Law adventures published since Eisner worked on the character in 1948. This edition includes both new material and classic John Law tales by Eisner himself.

And Eisner's final - and likely most controversial - graphic novel, The Plot, finished last summer, will be published this spring by W.W. Norton.

Will Eisner was the wizard behind the curtain, except in his case, the magic was real.

There will be no funeral service, per Will's wishes. "Will and I hated funerals," his wife, Ann, said the morning after his death. "We made plans long ago to avoid having them ourselves." He will be buried next to his late daughter, Alice, who died in 1969. Surviving Will are his wife, Ann, and his son, John.

Cards may be sent to: Will Eisner Studios 8333 W. McNab Road Tamarac, FL 33321

Unofficially, in lieu of flowers, you might consider a donation in Will's name to the American Cancer Society - his daughter died of cancer - or the Comic Book Legal Defense Fund, which Will was known to have supported.

On a personal note, I am crushed. Will and I started working on what began as an autobiography and morphed into an authorized biography three years ago this month. His friendship and camaraderie was like none other. (Will Eisner: A Spirited Life will be published in July for Dark Horse Comics' new M Press imprint.)

In the days to come, if you'd like to share a story or a thought about Will and need an outlet, I'll make this newsletter available to anyone who'd care to contribute. Just reply to ASpiritedLife@tampabay.rr.com and I'll share your words with an international audience of Eisner fans and media.

Today is a very sad day for the the world of arts and letters.

Tristan Elwell
    **Finished Work Thread **Process Thread **Edges Tutorial

"Work is more fun than fun."
    -John Cale

"Art is supposed to punch you in the brain, and it's supposed to stay punched."
    -Marc Maron

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Damn...
    Freakin sad, to many deaths this year....personal and otherwise...

Thanks
    I don't know what to say. I really wanted to meet Mr. Eisner in person some day.

Thanks for all the stories, Will. I'll miss you.

Adam

Thanks
    2 in 2 days.

Jan 02 2005, Kelly Freas
    Jan 03 2005, Will Eisner

Damn.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Sad.

I remember when I started drawing comics years ago, I asked a guy who had done some work for Marvel;"Is there any books I should read?", he said;"Comics & Sequential Arts by Will Eisner!" I read it, and to this day, and I've read lots since, that book taught me the most.

Genius. He was.....

NIC

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    2 in 2 days.

Jan 02 2005, Kelly Freas
    Jan 03 2005, Will Eisner

Damn.
    Let's NOT go for the trifecta.

'Tis another sad day in the world.

Thanks
    While I didn't get into the Eisner stuff until much later, I can see where his influence still permeates our industry. I eventually read some of his earlier works and was shocked to see just how early those gems were and how innovative their storytelling was. He influenced not only a generation below him but many more.

I use his books in my class. I read his books for fun & inspiration. And indirectly he influenced me more than words can say. Will Eisner will be missed in body but not in spirit (no pun intended).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Storyboard Dave
    Let's NOT go for the trifecta.

Well shit it better not! I can't take much more of this.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    It truly is a sad, sad passing.
    I am matty.

www.mattyryan.com

Thanks
    Eisner was the only living artist I could name off the top of my head who was a former pupil of Bridgman.

The Spirit graphic novel is a really good read btw.

Thanks

Lightbulb

a heart felt regret and comfort for the Eisner family. His Spirit will always be with us....

rest in peace Will save us a a place up there, we'll see you again...

Thanks
    That's sad news, I enjoyed his Comics & Sequential Art very much - a great artist, one to be missed!

Jester
    Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    I don't think there isn't a person in this world that he hasn't touched in some way--- even if it's just his influence on storytelling whether it be graphich novels, comics or movies.

Talk about having that kind of foresight & vision!

Thanks
    At least he didn't live to see this.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

16. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Elwell For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,478 Times in 470 Posts
    damn, I kind of suspected it, but didn't want to believe it...
    "Every little step considered one at a time is not terribly daunting" - Ethan Coen

New books and process DVD available NOW!

www.dvpalumbo.com

Quickie blog (nudity)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,053 Times in 1,109 Posts
    This year has seen a lot of legends pass away. We've lost George Carlin, Bernie Mack, a ton of Disney artists, etc. And now Eisner on Christmas, and this right after a nasty terrorist attack in India, and a war in Georgia...

I hope next year will be better.

Thanks
    I started reading the first post in this thread without looking at the date and was like, "Oh man, not again!"

I had a pretty strong suspicion about The Spirit. Frank Miller only has one note, and it's not one fit for The Spirit.

Eric
    www.WhereIsMyEyeball.com My portfolio! Go check it out!
    Sketchbook

Thanks
    Thanked 4,262 Times in 2,074 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by TASmith View Post
    This year has seen a lot of legends pass away. We've lost George Carlin, Bernie Mack, a ton of Disney artists, etc. And now Eisner on Christmas, and this right after a nasty terrorist attack in India, and a war in Georgia...

I hope next year will be better.
    Uhh no, this post was back from 2005. Elwell only bumped the post to show how well... but in this case how bad the movie went.
    Last edited by Arshes Nei; December 24th, 2008 at 06:40 PM.

Thanks
    when i heard frank miller and the spirit, i felt this was goign to happen. after seeing the trailer i was convinced

Thanks
    I got thrown a bit until I looked for the original date (I coulda sworn Eisner was dead for a while). Should have recognized it for an older article when no mention of the movie was made.

Apparently, the tenuous hope I had for the film has pretty much died. My sense of dread set in immediately when I learned Miller was involved. I wasn't all that familiar with complete Spirit issues, outside of samples from Eisner's Comics and Sequential Art, but somehow the style used for 300 did not gel with what I did know. Looks like I was right. I'm not going to spend the $9 to find out how right I was.
    "It's all about the triumph of intellect and romance, over brute force and cynicism." Craig Ferguson on Dr. Who
    sketchbook :: my dA gallery :: my art blog :: old sketchbook

Thanks
    It gets worse: http://www.aintitcool.com/node/39573
    It's one of those painfully, jaw-droppingly, call-your-lawyer bad movie experiences -- the sort of flick where pretty much every scene is a complete misfire, and not in that so-bad-it's-funny way. The timing's all off. The actors look confused and embarrassed. And if you care at all about the source material, the movie feels like punishment, or the final act of revenge in some long-simmering Miller/Eisner feud you never new existed.
    And so, in his first solo outing as a director, Frank Miller manages the neat trick of denting the legacies of two comics legends -- Frank Miller and Will Eisner -- in one excruciating 90-minute go. And because Miller slathered his creepy/campy fetishes all over someone else's character in a movie instead of in a comic book, he finally made all of his 21st-century artistic crutches and coastings a matter of national discussion -- not just fodder for a message-board thread where disgruntled fanboys refer to "All-Star Batman and Robin" as "ASSBAR."

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    ebert sez
    "There is not a trace of human emotion in it. To call the characters cardboard is to insult a useful packing material."

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Elwell View Post
    At least he didn't live to see this.
    When I saw the preview I knew this would be a disaster. For some reason I always think of Frank Millers Robocop 3 when I prejudge any of his movies.

Thanks
    If spirit is considered a experimental movie, is a 7, maybe a 8.
    If is considered a blockbuster movie, is a 0, maybe -1.
    Sketchbook is one click away:
    Never forget the Magicman

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Ian Miles View Post
    If spirit is considered a experimental movie, is a 7, maybe a 8.
    If is considered a blockbuster movie, is a 0, maybe -1.
    I would say that Sin City was the experimental movie. The Spirit was the application of the resulting formula.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jrr View Post
    ebert sez
    "There is not a trace of human emotion in it. To call the characters cardboard is to insult a useful packing material."
    Haha, perfect. I love Ebert.
    Last edited by smugbug; December 28th, 2008 at 06:46 PM.

Thanks
    i was horrified more that miller got more credit as if he was the creator of the spirit....that seemed a bit lame and misleading to me in the trailers. "From the creator of Sin city and 300...The Spirit." seriously? I am pretty sure the proper and right title was always "Wil Eisner's The Spirit" tyvm.

Thanks
    The more credit that goes to Miller and the less to Eisner for that P.O.S. the better.

Tristan Elwell

-John Cale

-Marc Maron

Thanks
    @elwell haha fair enough. I was just more miffed at them pretending like Miller created The Spirit, but yeah, I'd doubt Eisner would be too happy were he still around to smack people's heads about.

Thanks
    http://www.moviepicturefilm.com/film.php?itemid=2048

the source for all the "rave reviews" in that one Spirit trailer

you know what must be done
    Will Eisner

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast