Art: A glamour piece

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: A glamour piece

Thanks

A glamour piece

This is some experimentation I did with a few cheap Sunpak flash-heads. I used acrylic color filters and optical slaves to trigger the units. I'm going for an edgy/urban glamour look. Let me know what you all think.

And one at a very shallow depth of field...

And another

Comments and criticism welcome!

Arka C.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Love the color choice. Kudos.

Thanks

Nice work!

Thats some nice work!
    I work for a photography company here, and the model youve got looks kinda like one of our photographers. Very pretty.

As for any critiques, I think you could have enhanced your look in a couple of those shots with a harsh overhead white light. For some reason, to my mind, that would make it much more realistic & gritty/urban.

I typically have a hard time shooting wide open for a shallow depth of field effect with strobes like that. I cant seem to get my ISO low enough, and my shutter fast enough (and still sync) to not blow out whites. The photogenic strobes the company provides are just a little too beefy for that sort of work I guess.

Thanks
    The first one has more of an urban feeling then the last two, the girl doesn't look very comfortable in them.

I really dig the colour choices on all of them and the area you chose for the pictures.

Thanks
    Gandhi - Thanks for the comments.

ScoobyDoogus - Thanks for stopping in and commenting. For the shallow DoF work (f/1.2), I needed to put the green strobe pretty far away from the subject. The unavoidable consequence of such a placement is harsh shadows from such a far away light source. Next time, I think I'll just use some sort of ND filter to lower the light level of the flash head. You really need to be able to shoot at VERY low power to pull off anything below f/2 it seems...

I'm not sure if I agree about the white light; I wanted to try to mimic the ambient light in the environment (orange/yellow), while presenting the green as a somewhat mysterious but not unnatural accent light. My initial conception was to use the green as a shadow accentuator only, but in the shallow DoF shots, it becomes a mainlight, which was contrary to what I was thinking, but it still worked.

Chris - Thanks for your candor. I agree that the first one seems the most 'natural' and is actually my favorite of the bunch.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.