Thanks

What would you do? Tsunami Edition.

Yeah if you see the water receding out into the sea for many many miles......

Would you be in the right frame of mind to run?

I'd probably stand there and watch....knowing something is wrong but not quite knowing what to do. Until of course someone says RUN!!!!

Who will run and who will stand at the beach confused with me?

Its easy to say 'Oh I'll run' after all those information we got from the news sites after this disaster....think hard....what would you really do?
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Darth I am with you on this one for sure, if I had no prior warning in terms of education or life experience and the sea was sinking further back I would get my ass off of my towel and probably stand there with ya wondering.

"Woah, that is pretty crazy, hey Darth why is everyone getting in their cars?"

Then the giant beast of a wave would rise and we would all be standing there.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    I'd probably stand there and watch....knowing something is wrong but not quite knowing what to do. Until of course someone says RUN!!!!
    ditto.
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    I used to read a lot about science stuff as a kid. Think the first thing that would pop up in my head when I'd see the sea retreat like that would be "BIG mofo'ing wave inc!". It's easy to say that I'd 'of course' run, but ye can never know fer sure o course.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    I'd probably stay with Darth.
    And seeing how far this last tsunami wave went land inward, it might just be useless running anyway.

This is very much like a thought I have quite often whwn I'm bored; If you knew a Nuclear war would break out, and the first missile hits in 2 minutes. Would you stay and go for the ride, or try to reach some sort of shelter, only to live in a post-apocalyptic world (if you made it)?
    I can never make my mind up about that one.....

NIC

Thanks
    That's 4/4 artists saying they will, or may, not run. Wow, I guess we're not that smart after all.

So errrrr Presence, how about we set the picnic right here and see when the water comes back in?

Thanks
    Once I realized what is happening, I'd probably try to climb up a tree or a hill or something..

But I guess I wouldn't even know what happens, so I think the tsunami would catch me for sure.

Sterlingcrispin Guest
    I grew up in hawaii, so the idea of this sort of thing has been brought to my face from time to time. I would stand there for probably a good thirty seconds wondering if it really was a tsunami or just some other natural occurence, my own doubt would probably leave me standing there like an idiot even though I knew what it was. I'd like to say I would run, but who knows.

Theres really no point in running from things like that most of the time. If your on the beach itself theres no way to escape. You might get far enough that you wouldn't die instantly from the impact of the wave against the shore. But when all that water goes rushing back into the ocean, you would probably get sucked back in and drown.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts

i hate the thought of drowning...the air slowly being squeezed out of your body...an unheard cry for help underwater...*shudder*
    Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    You'd probably get knocked unconscious by all the debris in the waves coming in or going out before you actually drowned... Maybe that'd be a good thing... A lot of the guys who survived by hanging on to stuff were still beat up by all that stuff (broken bones and cuts and bruises all over).

I was born and raised and live near the Coast (L.A.), and have heard about Tidal Waves (old term--now it doesn't mean the same thing) and lately, Tsunamis pretty much all my life. As someone said, I may see the sea recede and think, "I've got a bad feeling about this!" But whether I'd react in a smart way (run immediately for higher ground) or not, I don't know! And most people didn't get to see clear signs of a tsunami. They just saw a big wall of water rushing in--or didn't see it at all, as some were still in their hotel rooms.
    Even the tsunami experts who monitor the Pacific weren't SURE there'd be a tsunami. Their first notice said that a tsunami may occur, after they saw there'd been a strong earthquake (although they knew the Pacific, where they were watching and where they had monitors, was safe). They only knew for sure hours later--only in time to get warning to Kenya and the E.Coast of Africa...

It's all very sad.

I do think tsunami warning systems would have helped save lives, but it's not a wealthy part of the world and tsunamis aren't common there... I think only the Pacific has some monitors--so it's pretty rare to have scientists and monitors watching for stuff like this.

Thanks
    Yeah Carnifex...you won't drown....if you aren't killed by the impact of millions of gallons of water slamming down on you.....you'd be killed after the debris get to you.