Marker + Ink... Exactly how?

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Hi.

One thing I've been looking for an answer for:
    How do you use Ink and markers togehter withouth any smearing problems and souch? I couldn't find one pen or pigment liner or whatever that youldn't fade away once I draw over it with my markers. How exactly is this supposed to work? I've seenn pictures of the guys on gnomon.com drawing their lines with the same pigment liners that I use. Are they drawing around those lines or something?
    This is driving me crayz, because I'd really like to produce a drawing with clean ink lines AND marker colours for once...

Later,
    Matt

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    One method is to photocopy your inks, then draw on the copy.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    From what I have heard there seem to be no way around this with just pen's.

Just as Teknobabel says photocopy is a good way to get around it. And as bonus you will get to keep your original ink so that you can make many renderings of the same art trying out diffrent texturings and lighting.

If you have a scanner and at laserprinter that would work aswell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Teknobabel
    One method is to photocopy your inks, then draw on the copy.
    Just make sure the markers are alcohol based, such as Prismacolors & Pantone Trias. The Xylene based markers (Chartpaks & Designs) will just shred your laserprinted (not inkjet) black line work.

Another way to work is if you use Pentel water based black markers (or brown for skin tones) and then go over them with Xylene or alcohol based markers- the two won't conflict.

Experiment with different markers. Find out what they're made of... whether it be Xylene, alcohol or even gels. And then even try different papers for different techniques. Personally I like the Letraset papers because they hold colors realy brilliantly as well as holding my line work well. You've also got to be aware when you self-feed your paper through the copier or laserprinter that you have the right side. Papers often have two different sides with different coatings. Be aware of that as well!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Thanks for your thoughts. There's one thing I wanna show you though:

If you check this Image out, Feng seems to be markering onto his already inked drawing.If you have a look at the other images on this site:

http://www.thegnomonworkshop.com/dvds/des03.html

you can see (or believe to see) that he never changes the sheet of paper that he draws on. Anyone got this DVD by chance and can tell me (I dare ask ;P)?

Good 05 to you all.
    Later

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    He uses Pilot Hi-Tec C pens. They don't smear when marker is used over them.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^yeah, and if you watch the DVD's he tells you he works on a photocopy of the drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Alright...
    I just tried every EVERY black inking pen or pigment liner that I could find and they all just went up in smoke thanks to my Tria markers. Kinda hard to believe that the Pilot Hi-Tec C would stick to the paper like superglue.

But thanks

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    do a marker sketch, ink over it, photocopy, then marker it again. There are very few inks that dont bleed under alcohol, i believe the hit tec and gtec series dont (but only the black ones, green bleeds) and a bunch of brush pens dont bleed either. So just phoocopy em its your best solution, also means youl have a copy incase you mess up.

Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, regardless of what you think, the hi-tecs do. They don't have typical ink, it's much more fluid ink than regular ball points. They are similar to other pilot roller ball point pens, but much finer. They however have thier limitations and do not create a line with any finesse, nor can they be used to render like some ball points. But still, the best thing to do is just photocopy your work and marker over that. That way you're not only toning something that is permenant, you are making a copy of your drawing so you don't ruin the original.

"Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and are not clothed, The world in arms is not a way of life at all, in any true sense. Under the cloud of threatening war, it is humanity hanging from an iron cross."

...I have a sketchbook?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tier_one
    Alright...
    I just tried every EVERY black inking pen or pigment liner that I could find and they all just went up in smoke thanks to my Tria markers. Kinda hard to believe that the Pilot Hi-Tec C would stick to the paper like superglue.

But thanks
    believe me, its one of the reasons people go nuts over those things

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    couldn't you just sketch out what your doing with markers and then add the detail with pen. I always thought thats how it was done.
    ...need me some high tech c's mmmm

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Strange, I use regular Pilot fineliners to ink + tria markers, and i'm having no problems with smearing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ^i do too..

pilot = badass

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by tier_one
    Alright...

But thanks
    No, no. It's true. I use those pens with my Tria Markers and it works like a charm. I mean, I let it set for like a minute before I start right on it. Or I don't start right on the part I last Inked. Those Pens are the BEST. I love both the Hi-Tech and the Tria.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Honestly i think it culd just be the marker pads fault. I usually render with confetti paper and other kinds of specialty papers from kelly paper and i hav no problem with smearing except with these really cheap ball point pens. I use Sakura pigma liners and theres no problem. However, usin the same thing on marker pads does cause some bleeding but its not tat bad especially if I make sure the ink is well dried. I use the bienfang marker pads.

I think you should just use a really fine pen like a .1 or .2 first (just for better indication) and then marker it and then go in with ur .5's and .8's and punch stuff out.

Or u culd use black prisma color pencils. Booo.

Or just be like me and find some other cool paper. Of course the coloring effect will be different and less vibrant, but that just depends on ur technique.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.