Question for you teachers out there.

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Question for you teachers out there.

Currently I am a student studying cg and traditional art. when I first started going to school working in the industry doing 3d was all I Wanted. now my views are changing on that, yes I want to work in the industry and create stuff, but it is more along the lines so I can acquire a name in the industry and then move onto freelance and become a teacher. I am also moving more towards traditional art then 3d.

so my question for you guys is what the pay/hours/lifestyle, etc is like as a teacher of traditional or cg art? do you have to do alot of freelance to get by? or is freelancing just a added little bonus to the wallet?

Im just kind of testing the waters right now for I am unsure what part of this art industry I really want to go into. I love art and I know this is all I could do in my life, but finding the part of it where I can balance a healthy, and social life is what worries me I Guess.

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noc
    Currently I am a student studying cg and traditional art. when I first started going to school working in the industry doing 3d was all I Wanted. now my views are changing on that, yes I want to work in the industry and create stuff, but it is more along the lines so I can acquire a name in the industry and then move onto freelance and become a teacher. I am also moving more towards traditional art then 3d.

so my question for you guys is what the pay/hours/lifestyle, etc is like as a teacher of traditional or cg art? do you have to do alot of freelance to get by? or is freelancing just a added little bonus to the wallet?

Im just kind of testing the waters right now for I am unsure what part of this art industry I really want to go into. I love art and I know this is all I could do in my life, but finding the part of it where I can balance a healthy, and social life is what worries me I Guess.
    I didn't start teaching until I had 17 years of being in the biz. I always looked to some of the best teachers I had in school and figured out why they were the best for me- it's because they were still in the business as they were teaching. I only teach one class a week and everytime I'm in the class I try to do like my instructors did and that's bring in real life assignments into the classroom. None of those faked made up assignments. I really think you can also learn on-the-job or at least simulated job environments as in school settings.

My advice to you would be to stay connected IN the field you plan on teaching. Bring that real life experience to your future students and give them your expertise that you've learned. I still consider myself a working illustrator first and an educator second just because I don't have any aspirations on becoming a non-practicing educator spewing theories. Bring the applications into the classroom I always say!

One of the reasons I teach is to give back to my community. It's not for the money. I can make more in one day on the job than I can in an entire semester teaching so it's also got to be something you want to do as well. Not everyone is that dedicated to teaching so be honest with yourself as well- there are also obstacles & pitfalls in teaching as well. But it ultimately has to do with what you want out of life.

Good luck pursuing the careers!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

re

cool, thanks for the advice dave.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Noc
    cool, thanks for the advice dave.
    No sweat. Good luck.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I work both as a professional freelancer and I instruct. The instruction is taking more of my time currently, I enjoy it though so I am not thinking of stopping to take on a creative director position or art director position. I did those, the pay was consistent and good, but the stress, and my life and my learning changed, was put on hold, didnt go any further...etc. It wasnt worth the time. And when I concepted only, it was good but paid not as well as the art direction or creative direction positions, and I am well qualified for the better position so took it.

I can say, freelancing and teaching, if it can happen is worth it, even if the pay isnt royalty pay, the reward is so much better. Teaching people is worth it alone, but to see work published, and to see people get better, and to have time to grow, its alllll too worth it.

I am not interested in revealing my income, albeit its not great all the time, the freelance part is what makes it that, but I survive, and I am not stressing as hard. I am living the dream minus all the glory money...one day, one day that will change too. I am certain of that...

ROn

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.