Ruining may chances?
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Ruining may chances?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Ruining may chances?

Just a quick question:

My dream job happens to be slightly within my grasp. A web developer position at a company I have wanted to work for since I first stepped foot into the realm of web design picking up my html 3 something book

Anyways, I don't think my portfolio is nearly complete enough (dca.durhamc.on.ca/~sabatier/portfolio) to submit, but I would really like to feel that I at least did what I could in my best interests. Would applying using mediocre work in a flash portfolio ruin my chances of ever working for that company again? If so I'm not going to apply, as I don't want to embarass myself to the point that I'm blacklisted.

"There is a distinction between fact and truth. Truth has an element of revelation about it. If something is true, it does more than strike one as merely being so." -Lucian Freud
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I wouldn't use mediocre stuff in any portfolio, but if you do use some the reacttion is probably gonna be more along the lines of 'come back when you have something good' most likely it will just dissapear somewhere, not get you blacklisted.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i took a look at your portfolio. there were a couple of things that bugged me:
    first, get rid of that nasty music and sounds.
    then, the flash window is much too small. you cant even read the intro text, neither can you view the images properly.
    concerning your work:
    i really dont like any of the images i saw. they just looked plain boring and "mediocre". the only thing that seemed nice was the flower picture.
    get rid of that manga style and concentrate on life drawing.
    and: DONT EVER PAINT ON A WHITE BACKGROUND unless you know what cha doin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Lim:

firstly, thank you for even looking at the portfolio! I wasn't really expecting that, since I read in another topic not to ask for people to view or review your portfolio.

the portfolio is actually supposed to be my web design portfolio (Kind of sad I only have 2 sites I think are worth showing )

the portfolio was actually done as a class project, so the music and sound was a requirement (Not those particular ones, just any music/sound) but I agree, they're terrible. It's just the only portfolio I actually have, perhaps I'll dump them before applying if I do

The window-too-small thing seems to be an issue with mac's that I'm not sure how to fix, but I'm not too concerned since my new portfolio is only going to be about 10% flash anyways.

I am going to be taking life drawing night classes starting next september because, yes, I have finally realized the a) necessity of life drawing and b) the fun of it.

Just curious, if you come back to this post, but what is the issue with painting on a white background? Just how dull it looks or is there more to it?

Hamsta:

Unfortunately my best is what I consider mediocre, so the drawings in my portfolio are actually some of my best. I worded the question poorly, it should have been more like "If I don't think I'm ready to offer the company what I could potentially offer after more practice and lessons, should I apply?"

My concerns are things such as being blacklisted (which you listed as unlikely) or even worse, being hired and then being told I couldn't perform up to the standards they thought I could and being fired.. which is never a good thing.

Anyways, thank you both for your prompt replies. I think I'm going to beef up my portfolio (build a new one) and just be ready for the next time there's an opening.

Oh, if anyone was curious:

http://www.blizzard.com/jobopp/web-designer.shtml

"There is a distinction between fact and truth. Truth has an element of revelation about it. If something is true, it does more than strike one as merely being so." -Lucian Freud

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by eatpoo.com
    DON'T PAINT ON A WHITE BACKGROUND. This is one of the most common mistakes made by beginners - they draw their linework, lay it on top of a white canvas and start to add color. The color and value surrounding any area you are working on affects your perception of color and value. A red background makes your subject look green, a light background makes your subject appear dark. Because a lot of beginners use brushes with low opacity, the color of their canvas often shows through without the them realising.

Rather than a white canvas, start with a neutral tone, like a grey or beige. If your picture is going to have a lot of red in it, you could start with a medium red. Some people start with a gradient fill, so they have a range of values to work with. Once you have a background color in place, lay down flat areas of color for each object in your picture. By defining the correct colors as early as possible, you can see how the colors will interact when the picture is finished.
    this pretty much sums it up..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.