question about a website problem

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

question about a website problem

Ok so I'm trying to get my website up and running and my background image isnt filling up the whole browser. I get about 2" of black nothingness around the bottom and right side of the browser. Its being constructed in Dreamweaver by my Sister and She hasnt figured out how to get it to look correctly yet. Anyone know how to remedy this?

I dont want to tile the background because it just is not a tileable image. Another option would be to stretch the image to the browsers resolution size but that could end up scrunching the image. So I'm looking to avoid this.

Thanks in advance to anyone with suggestions

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm... as far as i can tell... you sort of answered your own question... sort of...

since everyone has their resolution set differently, and there are many diferent browsers out there, how your image is being displayed (size) and how much space is viewable within the browser window varies greatly....

so yes... you COULD scale the image... but if it messes up the pic i'm sure you don't want to do that...

I do not know how to do it as I believe it is JavaScript, but there is a way to set the size of of the browser window and maybe even make it so the browser window cannot be resized. This way you could make the browser window match the size of the image and, in a sense, the border would never exist because the viewer would never see it.

Like I said, I am not sure how to do it, myself so I can't just had you the proper HTML or JavaScript myself. Otherwise I would. If your sister is using Dreamweaver it should have an O'Reilly reference in it... have her look in there for what I said... or she can go to these links... they are great references and you can do searches on them for what you want:

WebMonky
    HotScripts
    JavaScriptSource

hope these help... if not... sorry i wasted your time

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You could use css style sheet and there is a command where you set the background=norepeat.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by kgb
    You could use css style sheet and there is a command where you set the background=norepeat.
    That doesn't help...it will just, as it says, make sure that the background doesn't repeat itself...i.e. the image will only be displayed once...in its original size.

As far as I know, you can't do this. At least you can't do it in a good way. You can of course make sure that the size of the site is always set to, for example, 800x600. Either with some annoying javascript or by adding a "border" around it (like...you place an 800x600 frame in the middle of the page and add black around it).

What I don't understand is why you want to do this...big backgrounds are usually annoying. Use a good color instead
    Not that we don't use a big background here...you can check how we did by looking at the source for either the forum or main page.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well the main thing is my titlepage. I have a image/collage against a rusty textured wall. I would like the whole thing combined to be centered and fill up the whole browser. On the content pages it is just the rusty background with a few mechanical pieces, this could easily be stretched but not really tiled becuase of the asymmetrical aspects of the background. boy this is quite the pickle. So i'm guessing now maybe I should have the titlepage image(the collage) seperate and set to absolute positioning in the center? and the the background would be seperate and set to stretch to conform to the browser?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    with javascript you can fetch the resolution using screen.width and screen.height.

I'll write up something quick to use as a template, no guarantees it'll work (I'd test but got a dentist appointment in like 15 minutes).

put this in your javascript at the top

Code:
    if (screen.width == 1024 && screen.height == 768)
      background = "1024bg"

if (screen.width == 800 && screen.height == 600)
      background = "1024bg"
    then, remove any reference to the bg image in your current stylesheet and create new stylesheets named 1024bg, 800bg, 640bg, for example. To pick a stylesheet, add the script tags for javascript where you call on your stylesheet:

Code:
    document.print(background + ".css");
    doh, I gotta go (Stupid travel time) but that might give you some ideas:

in short:
    find resolution, make background images with different sizes, display background image based on resolution!

"There is a distinction between fact and truth. Truth has an element of revelation about it. If something is true, it does more than strike one as merely being so." -Lucian Freud

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ...and it will not work very good unless people run their browsers in fullscreen mode. I have no idea what my client's width and height are, but they sure aren't normal in any way. But of course, if it's ok that you cannot see the entire background, the above solution will work pretty fine.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Is it on the web right now? Perhaps if we get a good view of what you've done so far it will give everyone a better idea of what you want to accomplish (and better suggestions for how to achieve it).

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.