META's WEEKLy DESIGn BOUt - Page 4

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Thread: META's WEEKLy DESIGn BOUt

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GAAARRRRRCCCGGHHH!!!! (punches self in face)

i can't believe i missed the first 2 weeks of this... "IDIOT! GOSH!"

all right... all tantrums aside... i'm in for the next week... which should be starting today?

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think Matt Dixon or steak atron should've won. Prometheus ANJ's entry is good, but i hardly believe it is a girl at all. just because that monster has boobs doesnt mean its a girl. well anyway, just my 2 cents.

later,
    GriNGoLoCo

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I haven't asked grooves, but on my end it was pretty close between the three of them, and all three are kickbutt artists. But we both leaned towards prom on this one. Last I heard there's no real prizes, and this is just for fun and community building/motivation.

Hey meta, give us a new topic, I think I may have some time to actually enter this week!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    great entries everyone. congrats prom. i would have chose his too. boobs make it a girl for me
    prom, if you read this please send me a full blown file of yours, 300 dpi is preferred.

ookay everyone. here is todays new topic. in order to have more people join this time i am going to leave it a bit more open.
    this weeks topic:
    battle scene.
    whatever you want goes this week with one exception, well two actually
    ABSOLUTELY NO FRIGGIN ORCS. lord of the rings is awesome, i agree, but there are more things that fight than elves and orcs. if i see any orcs you will be permanatly banned, well maybe not but i will campaign for it,so NO ORCS.
    secondly, there must be more than two figures. thats all, whether they are human or beast please have more than two. thats all.
    lets get it on

meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    ok orcs banned but elves still ok. got it. elves versus goblins then!!

just kidding

Ok, commentary time, sorry it took me so long to get to this, I wasn't able to get the time to to this right during the workday.

Carnifex - wow buddy, I agree, that's one of the strongest things I've seen from you yet. Great work and keep pushing, you're improving fast!!! You might want to consider adding a setting into this piece though.. even if it fades off into the dark, it would still be nice to see the suggestion of a ground plane/background

MattDixon - I love th sense of character of this one! Excellent sense of weight on her, and I love the shininess level to the skin. I think the upper left corner of the picture gets a little fuzzy, but this has a coool quality to it throughout.

Prom - nice nice nice, I love the color scheme and the limited pallette. Took me a while to even notice you copy/pasted the two halves.. but now I see the mirroring it's hard NOT to notice it... Still, great piece.

Nike - Nice atmosphere to your piece... my only real comment would be that it's painting in very neutral light... and you've got this cool looking stained glass window in the background that could be doing alot MORE to the light colors on the statue and the girl. It's there a little bit, but you could really push that aspect lots! Great job man, I think the face turned out well.

Steak - I love her athletic physique, with them long narrow limbs and long fingers, that really gives her a nice sense of character. I also love the light source. Crit wise I think her butt doesn't really feel like it's sitting on the ground, it's missing a little pressure from her weight I think. Her left leg seems a little weird too. Nice stuff as usual man!

Evren - rad colors man, she really looks radioactive... I know shes supposed to be immersed in a chemical bath/jar thing of light, but she might look cool with some shading...like almost that monochromatic xrayish shading you get with formaldahyde preserves? But, She's very graphic at the moment which might have been what you were going for. Very cool!

Meta - nice start man, I really like the composition and the pose. I think maybe the light could play a bit more pronounced of a role on her skin but that's a excellent start!

Young Paddy - Very moody man, she looks badass.. you can really see the photref in there... which is kinda cool because it gives it a nice lighting, but kinda looks odd too with various elements. Nice work!

al-x - interesting piece, I dig the girl a lot but she looks a little grayish to me.. youd expect all that fire would be creating crazy shadows and light on her. The fire feels a littttttle photoshopy, but I don't mind it too much. I really like that deep red behind her though, that + fire + grays loooks nice all together!

Tyboogie - Glad to see ya over here ty. This is by far the most stylish piece of the lot... youve got some really cool stuff going on with her skin, I like those glows and shininess to her... it really adds atmosphere. The red coils kinda look odd because they're not reacting to the light as much.. but that gives it a strange stylish look to it too. cool stuff.

Ok everyone,that was some kickbutt work. I hope i didnt forget anyone. I'm stepping down from judging and am gonna try and participate this week. This is a great idea meta, I'm glad to see the Laquinta challenge lives on!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,063 Times in 830 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    thanx for the crit man. perhaps i'll (even) resubmit the piece with mentioned changes. though i'm pretty lazy.
    cool new topic. i actually did some fight thingy today,but it has just two characters in it,and one of them is about to drown

Sketchbook

Sketchbooks of inspiration:
    Marc Taro|Maxetormer|ZhuZhu|Jeri|Dobu]

Always think about:
    lighting! design! perspective! proportion!
    And (self)motivation is still everything.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

its official

guess what guys. this thread has made it amongst the prestigious in tis early age. we will now be located under the community activities as a CA official weekly activity. go us!!!! please check that thread shortly for updates and what not.
    thanks everyone.
    meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Congradulations Prom....I really like everybodys pieces...

Meta I really wish you finished, like joe said it is a really great start

Ty Boogie....I really like yours maybe should have one, the only reason is that it didn't seem finished

thanks for the coments people, I look forward to next weeks pieces

see in the new area

illustration web space:
    www.ebillustration.com
    general portfolio website:
    www.ebillustration.com/gallery
    ca sketchbook:
    http://conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=118097

careful, if you click on the sketch book link while you are viewing my ca sketchbook you might get stuck in a causality loop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey peeps..thanks for teh crits

good stuff...i liked proms alot..especeially that blue belly...although i wish the symmetry was less apparent.

not sure if ill make this weeks..but ill def be checking to see what you guys come up with

peace
    ty

MY SITE
    available for freelance

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by metaphysiks
    guess what guys. this thread has made it amongst the prestigious in tis early age. we will now be located under the community activities as a CA official weekly activity. go us!!!! please check that thread shortly for updates and what not.
    thanks everyone.
    meta
    congrats us!
    hope i'll be able to keep it up weekly.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Meta thats great !! yay us !!

thank you all for the kind words on the first challenge !

i like the second rounds entries alot !

Here comes some thoughts, take them or leave them

Nike : your looks good, but i get the feeling of that it lacks the sence of "space"... i get the feeling of that its too flat. You could check some photos or something for the face because around the cheeks and eye on the left side is off, i think you see too much of it.. But, its a very nice picture and clever way of solwing the challenge !

Tyboogie : very nice colors, but it looks like it could use some more work on the brushes, or edges so to speak. nicely framed and pleasant for the eye.

al-x : nice idea and well executed, my suggestion would be to juice up the colors alittle so you get that intence heat feeling. Good work non the less !

young paddy1 : Nice picture ! i like the feeling of it! But some parts look too much like copypaste, hmm, you havent worked parts into the picture enough (blend). cool stuff !

metaphysiks : as you said, its unfinnished, but it looks like a good start ! you should finnih it !

Jack Frost : Very nice idea ! what is it inside of the tube? if she isnt floating in air in there you should maybe try to give her some volume fog next time you would draw something similar.. try to find some underwater pictures and you'll see how stuff fades away when you view it beneath the surface. Great idea and a nice picture !

steak-tron : i think it was a good idea, you didnt fall short, but my critique would be about the colors, for me they look alittle too muddy. I like her pose alot and her face !

Prometheus|ANJ : Nice picture and congrats on the win ! But i dont like the fact that it looks too mcuh like its mirrord, but its still a nice piece !

Matt Dixon : Nice picture !! i like hte painterly feel of it ! but in my opinion her face is off, is it in a unatural angle/placement ? i dont know, but i think the head is wrong.. i like the colors alot !

Carnifex : Nice image, i cant remember your stuff but according to others you have progressed alot, that is always cool ! Next time maybe you should think about the position and frame for your picture, now this one has alot of "dead" areas, like black or darkred thats added just to fill the canvas. try to give the viewer a feeling by placing her in a more interesting position on the canvas and angle. Looks great and i like the picture, just some things to think about until the next one.

-----------------------------------------------------------
    BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Thanked 1,309 Times in 389 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    Glad you guys liked it! I know I cheapoed out with the mirror thing, I did the same on some earlier Gigerish pics I did. It's a fun and fast way to paint. I remember in deluxe paint you could paint in various symetry modes. I wish PS had something like that.

I'm afraid it was painted in very low rez, the web version is 66% of the original I think. What do you need the high rez for?

I actually started a battlescene pic but it developed into something else...

Jamen jag tror att han skäms, och har gömt sig. Vårt universum det är en av dom otaliga spermasatser som Herren i sin självhärliga ensamhet har runkat fram för å besudla intet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think he wanted to make it for a print to publish in a book,right?

anyways here's a preliminary layout and character sketch that i need to flesh out further. i personally quite like the composition. what'ye think?
    META's WEEKLy DESIGn BOUt

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus|ANJ
    Glad you guys liked it! I know I cheapoed out with the mirror thing, I did the same on some earlier Gigerish pics I did. It's a fun and fast way to paint. I remember in deluxe paint you could paint in various symetry modes. I wish PS had something like that.

I'm afraid it was painted in very low rez, the web version is 66% of the original I think. What do you need the high rez for?

I actually started a battlescene pic but it developed into something else...
    this hi res is for the finished product of this thread. after the thread is successful for a while i want to print a book. this hi res version will be on teh page that your art will be on. anything you have is fine. i hope you will join us for the battlescene topic.
    meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    count me in

paint! you *%$#@#$ u only have 1 life!check out ilad comics at www.iladonline.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey carnifex, great idea posting a WIP. here is mine, although it may end up veery different.
    meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,171 Times in 468 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    nice wips so far !

heres my finnishd one, its sunday for me so...

Sketchbooks/Feb-05/concept01.jpg" border="0" alt="META's WEEKLy DESIGn BOUt" title="META's WEEKLy DESIGn BOUt" />

cheers !

BJÖRN HURRI | CONCEPT ARTIST & ILLUSTRATOR

MY PORTFOLIO | HURRICANES DAILY DOODLES '12
    MY EXCLUSIVE SKETCHBOOK
    VIKING: BATTLE FOR ASGARD
    TWITTER
    THE OTHER BROTHERS

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Hurricane!
    While this both wails and rocks, the straight columns of smoke rising from the dragon really take away from the motion of the action. It's as if everyone is posing for you (if they did, then it's all cool), vice the midst of a battle.

Still, this is amazing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, nice stuff guys... i dont' think I'm gonna get to finishin mine this time around... this week really flew by!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys, due to some personal family issues, i wil not be able to compete this week. i still look forward to everyones entries and looks forward to the next challenge.
    meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hi everyone.
    Good wi-i-p s carnifex and metaphysics, great dragon, hurricane!
    My only crit is that the piece is looking a bit "static".

I'm sorry I can't participate this week, I have 2 very tough exams on tuesday, I'm a bit screwed

Cu next week!

"The reason why truth is so much stranger than fiction is that there is no requirement for it to be consistent."-Mark Twain

gone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you're gonna have to wait some more for me to post the pic...i dunno how the time limits are,but for me sunday is over in 1 hour...though i guess it's not too much of a problem if i post in about.....20 hours,is it?
    i mean for me that's monday evening then,but for you...?
    i haven't had time to make something more out of the pic yet,so forgive me.

edit: sorry to hear that meta. i was really looking forward to your finished piece. the wip had real depth that kinda sucked me into it. it's a shame it doesn't get finished.(or will it?)

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice Pic Hurricane,,,,I sent mine to joe...since I can't post right now...hopefullt he will have it up real soon

illustration web space:
    www.ebillustration.com
    ca sketchbook:

careful, if you click on the sketch book link while you are viewing my ca sketchbook you might get stuck in a causality loop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo, evren's picture is here, he's unable to upload it himself.

JACKFROST:

Goodluck all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

just in time!!!! i think....

if you checked out my WORLDTD entry, then i tried to make the same character. hope you like it!

later,
    GRiNGoLoCO

"Nihil est in intellectu quod non prius in sensu" | SB | Portfolio | FJGC (blog) | DA (Profile) | EJERCICIOS DE COLOR

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by blankslatejoe
    Yo, evren's picture is here, he's unable to upload it himself.

JACKFROST:

Goodluck all!
    sorry but i can't stop thinking they look like they're gonna have a sex orgy. most of all because the dude in his armpit seems like he's grinning.
    and somehow...just the pose the main character is in,and the way the dude behind him pinches his hips.
    i'm soon up with mine,wait alittle more.

Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    sorry about my troubles this week guys. to the three that did post, thanks. well have a winner for you tonight when i post the new topic. thanks guys
    meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    argh damnshitassfuckgoddammitburninhellmotherfuckingsuc kershitdrawing!
    i can't find enough swear words for my frustration! first i couldn't flesh out the drawing itself in any better way,and now i couldn't find any matching colours! i started three attempts at colouring it,but each of them turned out shitty. i couldn't find the colour sheme i wanted and everything seemed rushed. so i'm just leaving this shit as my final entry for this week.
    *sigh* hopefully i'm leaving something better next time. this time it was all talk and nothing behind. sorry guys. i feel damned.

Last edited by Carnifex; February 7th, 2005 at 01:47 PM.
    Sketchbook

Always think about:

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey guys. the winner was hurricane this week. come on guys. lets give this guy a challenge. i will be at work today at 7 so i am posting the topic now.
    this week you will design an environment. simple characters will be placed for scale or if you want go nuts but the environment is the focus.
    you must design a bustling commercial site in a city. use reference do whatever but design the busiest part of a city. lets make some real nice art guys. imagine your very own new york.
    go for it
    meta

"Let it BURN"

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    congrats Hurricane very nice piece....I really like the way you rendered the dragon....

ok Meta we will work harder to beat him next week

Gringo Loco= your marker technique is good you just need to push you anatomy but that will come , I really like the set up

illustration web space:
    www.ebillustration.com
    ca sketchbook:

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.