Thanks

Find Those Bones! Concept Art

Hi everyone :3 I haven't been able to be around here much but plan on changing that. Here are a few newer character concepts for a game I'm currently designing. I'm still trying to rough out the design of these characters but I'm happy so far. What do you think? I know their feet need work, I have such a hard time with feet

The quickie description for the game is this:

The cats have stolen all the dog bones! Without their favorite chew toys, the dogs have started to chew on their masters’ shoes, the morning newspaper and the expensive furniture! All this chaos has caused the dogs to be kicked from their warm and loving homes into the cold, mean streets.
    A young pup named Fitz has been chosen to sniff out the missing bones and deal with those malicious felines.

Now on to the images!

Last edited by Scarlet Dawn; December 29th, 2004 at 01:34 AM. Reason: typos
    Oh my god! Oh my god! it's a kitten! Its' a kitten!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I really like these. You managed to portray "cute" without going so far overboard (like so many other cute animal caricatures I've seen) that it's saccharine-sweet crap. There's a lot of character in these animals, too, especially Empress Kitkat.

Very good job. I'd offer critiques, but this really isn't my art style at all, and I wouldn't know where to start.

Adam

Thanks
    oh god....our site is being invaded by "furry" artists who draw nothing but "furries"...
    Do you know the muffinman?

Originally Posted by creatix
    Once you understand what the word "stupid" means - age is no longer a valid excuse for being that way.

Sterlingcrispin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by MuffinMan
    oh god....our site is being invaded by "furry" artists who draw nothing but "furries"...
    You say that as if its any worse then guns boobs and robots. Anything over done to the point of excess is bad.

As far as the art, it seems like its fine for what your doing. The game seems like a 'pick up and play' for 5 or 10 minutes. It doesn't seem like it has alot of depth, which is fine. I'd say your done with the characters, draw a few cityscapes and get into production.

Thanks
    are you actually planning on making this a game? A side scrolling platform I assume. Where do you see this going? A childrens game? Whats the educational value for kids here? As it is now the idea seems a bit too juvenile for anything other than a web based, or possibly cell-phone game. I'm trying to judge your stuff fairly but you didn't really ask for a specific critique.. in which case this isn't a place just to parade your ideas. I personally have a strong distaste for this type of art, along with muffin man apparently. But it's not my place to say you can't post here.

As far as the drawing. There isn't really much depth of quality bieng achieved here. I don't think this would be accepted as concept art the way it is now. The characters lack any sense of weight or life. The way they are drawn seems very formulaic. I think you should work on instilling some life and motion into your characters. Are they going to walk on thier hind legs? How do they look from the side? What might the main character look like in motion? There are alot of unanswered questions because I think these are a bit shallow in thought.

If you want to be an aspiring professional artist (which is who this site is intended for) then I'd suggest studying real human anatomy. Having a fancy for this "furry" art is fine, to a point. But every artist should aspire to be as well rounded as possible. Good luck.