blenders?

View testimonialsView Artwork

Thread: blenders?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

blenders?

hi

I have a question on painter in general.

I am learning to paint again using digital means and I want them to look clean yet like the old fantasy paintings.

a similar reference is what atmospheric posted couple a days ago the environment ones. I have seen quite a few like them.

I want to know that do ppl use "blenders" to get the mixing or merging effects that paints have irl?

i tried using acrlyics and oil paint tools to get a mixing effect but i cannot. maybe lack of understanding !

I know abit about using opacity etc.

if anyone can shed some light i would be grateful thanx!

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Please tell us which Painter version (including patch/update number, if any) you're using.

Also please post a link to the thread you referred to in your message and one or more links to examples of the kind of art you want to do.

If you can tell us exactly which brush variants you've used and any setting adjustments you've made to them, that might help too.

Without enough specific information, it's pretty hard to give you useful answers.

Jinny

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hello

painter 8 [ no patches ]
    Here is the link to the kind of art I would like to do

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35770

Brushes I have used are :

acrylics : wet brushes as they sort of give me a nice blending effect but feel
    blurry. tried different opacities.

Oil brushes : camel / and wet brush

air brushes : soft brush different opacities.

just got Dons brushes: used all the stuff in there / blenders etc.

But the effects i get are too soft maybe even blurry. ie i would lay down two tones of colors purple/blue then use the blender to mix. It does give a nice effect. But not what I would like.

Normal paper , Width 29cm to height 21cm , 150dpi about 9mb file.

Thanx Jin!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First, I'd strongly suggest downloading and installing the Painter 8.1 patch since it includes Custom Palettes that make it possible to organize brush category icons, art materials icons, main menu command buttons, and palette menu command buttons in a Custom Palette. Then, with a single click on an icon, your brush category or brush library is loaded or a main menu or palette menu command is initiated.

You'll find instructions in my second post in the following thread, below the bold word Fifth:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...nter+8.1+patch

Suggestions that come to mind:

• Paint your colors on the Canvas using brush variants that do not have blending and smearing characteristics, to retain the natural look of the brushstrokes. Then blend only where it's really needed using one or more of the Painter 8 Blenders variants. (If you like the look of a brush variant but it does have blending and smearing characteristics, you can adjust it so it won't blend or smear by moving the Resat/Resaturation slider to 100% and the Bleed slider to 0%. Then adjust the brush Opacity and/or Color as needed.)

• Build up colors on multiple Layers. Then you can adjust the Layer Opacity if you want to give the appearance of blending without making the brushstrokes look blurry.

Caution - If you paint on transparent areas of a Layer using brush variants that have blending or smearing characteristics you'll get white edges around the brushstrokes. There are some solutions to choose from, each having side effects, so you'll need to do some pre-planning in order to know which one to use in each instance:

• Only use these brush variants on existing color. That includes Blenders variants which, obviously, do have blending and smearing characteristics. - Side effect is that this limits where you can use these brush variants on a Layer and you'll have to be very careful not to paint over transparent areas.

• Adjust the Resat/Resaturation slider to 100% - Side effect is that this will remove the brush variant's blending and smearing characteristics.

• Change the Layer's Composite Method to Gel to make the white edges transparant. - Side effect is that this will make your brushstrokes transparent and darken colors below those brushstrokes.

• Check the Pick Up Underlying Colors box at the top of the Layers palette. - Side effect is that if you later add other colors below those colors that were picked up from underlying color on the Canvas or other Layers, they may contrast with those colors and look pretty awful. This solution can work well, but only if you plan well, before using it.

Looking at the example paintings in the other thread, it appears to me the artist did very little blending but instead built up colors slowly either on the Canvas, on the same Layer, or on multiple Layers.

I hope this helps a little and some other experienced Painter artists will read this thread and have some good suggestions to offer.

Please do not PM me with Painter questions. Instead, post them here where everyone can benefit from them. Thanks!

Jinny Brown
    Visit PixelAlley.com
    and The PainterFactory

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.