new artist on the block

View testimonialsView Artwork
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking new artist on the block

hey sup
    im new to all of this and i am hopin to imporve on my artwork cuz the work that sum of the guys on here have done is preety awesome. i accept critisism as long as it is constructive and my man PhatAndy can vouch for the fact that i do want to improve so heres a little teaser of what i can do if i put my mind to it!new artist on the block

Last edited by the_elder; December 26th, 2004 at 11:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Magnificent.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The Hands are too small for his size.

The ground line and how he is kneeling don't match up at all. It looks as if he his holding himself up in the air with his sword, which is one the ground, but only by the very tip.

The head is too small for the body.

His right leg, the armor is out of perspective. I'm assuming that the flat part is facing us, when in line with the drawing it should be facing more towards his right (our left).

Hey, Refrig, we like to actually make comments that help around here. Just saying magnificent and blowing smoke up someone's ass isn't helpful. If anything, it just reinforces someone doing something wrong.

Out.

Absolute Honesty

I Can't Stand People That Can't Spell.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When first starting out, it's helpful to use references (even taking shots of yourself in the pose you want) and drawing the figure prior to the armor. It's also useful to refer to a good anatomy source. Do several drawings in poses where you can accurately judge the proper proportions, then move out to working on more complicated pieces.

Baby steps.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think you need to work on anatomy a bit more, and putting 3d shapes on paper because my biggest problem is he looks really flat. plus the perspective is kinda messed up with the left leg and the sword going into the ground. His torso also looks too big compared to his legs.

something that might help is to first create a stick figure first to keep it from looking spastic, then flesh it out by making long sausages, then add details. besides for that the character design isn't that bad.

just trying to help

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking

cheers for the c&c. much apreciated. yes i do need to do a lot of work on the anatomy part, and my man PHATAndy is givin me tips and helps on that front so much apreciated for the heads up. although i am chuffed for the comment by RefrigeratorCo, Zeb is right cuz thats jus tellin me im beta than i am. Dogfood: i di use refernce to myself but obviously i went wrong sumwhere so i'll try and improve on that. and Emptybox: i did start out with a stick figure but i guess that went pear shaped aswell.

hope to post sum more stuff soon and i'll be waiting for ur comments!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    som more stuff. im tryin to compare 2 scenes of the samwe thing. plz tell me what u think:

new artist on the block

new artist on the block

Last edited by the_elder; January 6th, 2005 at 03:15 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Talking Union Symboite

Here is a coloured version of the Union2. its sum guy bonding with a symbiote(hope u guys and gals no wat that means!) and well, inspiration from spawn and spider man. plz give us sum notes and what u think. thanks.

new artist on the block

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey elder,

i would say focus on anatomy - try to learn it inside out. I think it probably one of the most important things to learn, and in so doing, u can also learn about controlling line etc.

look at pics of people, maybe body builders for muscles, just anywhere. practice practice practice! the more we do something the better we get, so keep drawing

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I don't generally do this, and I hope you don't mind, but I got bored so I did this.

Same pose as yours, just a different approach to the symbiotic union and the symbiote in general.

I really do not like the eyes.

As for yours, just keep drawing.

Many many people here preach the same damn "anatomy...blah blah blah" song. Trust me, you will get sick of hearing it, reading it, knowing it will happen again.

It is actually a generic reply here. They should just make an "auto-anatomy-reply" button to save hours of typing.

I digress.

Practice makes better, reference rocks, when all else fails, use fire.

Out.

Absolute Honesty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm...actually, I think the elder's version of the symbiote is a bit more origional. Being able to see the eyes is an interesting touch, however:

A - practice anatomy until your brain hurst like hell. don't ever stop life drawing. if people aren't good at drawing it's because they haven't been drawing from life. You're off to a good start, now you just have to work. hard.

B - it would be cool to see the symbiote forcing it's way behind the eyes, maybe his spine is arched a little bit. Like I said I like this approach. Just push the fear this guy is experiencing, through his pose, maybe sweat, and start thinking about backgrounds. putting this guy in context would really help a lot.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thinking about backgrounds may not sound fun in the beginning of character drawing, but it adds a great deal to a picture. Maybe you should consider the mood of the drawing. It kinda looks like you want it in the future, but I think its better when you put him in a fast food joint. I'm sure thats what you find in a one dollar fish sandwich.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not sure if you're getting inundated with too much advice, yet, but when working up a concept, I find that it helps when I work up a story about a character. When I put it all in context, it helps everything flow much easier. In ref to Monkeygrrrl's comment, we're going to feel differently about the character dependant upon where we see him. Tell us how we should feel. I like the rigid muscles and especially what the hands are doing (they are both tense, but differently), and the eyes certainly show fear, but I don't know if this guy deserves this fate or not, or whether it'll all be good in the end (but the lack of knowing creates tension, which is good). By working out the whole story in your mind, you'll be able to pick out what to show us in order to better convey your idea.

I'm not sure if this is too far beyond where you are right now, but as Isric said: draw. Repeat, ad nauseum.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hmm excuse my ignorance, but ive just realised I dont know what a symbiote actually is..hehe.... can anyone enlighten me?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    It is a conscious, intelligent organism that attaches itself to another organism, often times increasing certain abilities or adding new ones.

Think Venom from Spider Man.

Absolute Honesty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Cool

wow! im impressed with all of the positrve feedbac for just one piece. im more of a penciller than an inker or coloris...thing so it was a first for me.

Nethken, cheers for the ideas bout body builders but im tryin to draw guys( and gals) who are toned but not uber buff like in the comics cuz thats stereotypical. my charcters are average joes, and they have to work out to get their muscles nnot just have them suddenly appear cuz they gain powers or their genes are perfected.

zeb: like ur interretation of what direction cud go in. cheers! do u not like my eyes or urs???

Isric: goood point bout anatomy(annoyin but nessecary like zeb says). yeah i agree with the contxt and maybe seein the internal actions of the symbiote

Monkeygrrrl: wierd idea but hey cud work!!!

Dogfood: pre empted my next move> concept already done and dusted but im in the process of whether i shud rewrite it, edit it or keep it. if i eva decide then ill give a link so u can read it and maybe understand that my stuff isnt random but actually has a purpose.

orignal titlted Ninja:The Fallen: to cut a long story short dude is on a invisible island aroun the part of the world where ther are loads of little islands. hes a elemental ninja but gets killed by 2 jealous ninjas and is ressurected by the dragon god to help break his island home from the tyranny that has befallen it. he has a symbiote as a costume(bit Spawnesque) and has a big sword(katana/doubledged blade) and finds his missing frends and love in america(cuz they escaped). whew!

original pic: note was be4 all anatomy work and i decided my characters wernt the sterotypical buff heroes.
    new artist on the block

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I meant the eyes in my picture.

Your eyes, especially in the second one, are ok...funny even in that second one.

Absolute Honesty

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im glad i know what a symbiote is now - thanks guys!

i like how ure steering clear of the over muscular superhero trend..i hate that too. However i was suggesting bodybuilders as their muscles will be visable. Hell I dont know why i suggested bodybuilders....i think i practiced from them once hehe. but despite what anyone says, the reason why people go on about anatomy is becuase, well its useful. Probably the most useful thing youll learn. Thats just my opinion.

hey ill give u a little cirt on your ninja if u like?

I would say, think about proportions abit more... depends what style your going for, but think about how each part of the body relates to the other.

Your ninjas shoulders, i would say it would improve it if it sloped down from his neck towards his shoulders, instead of a horizontal.

When ure drawing, try and think of your underlying structure of the figure... ie the chest area would be spherical... it will give more form and 3dimensionality to ure work. smae goes for other parts of body.

Finally, I would say, his pose isnt very dramatic... try something more... dynamic. think of a direction of movement and think fo how his body would react... i just imagine a ninja to be doing something other than standing there.

Overall tho, i would say ure improving !

hope this helps? And i hope i dont sound cheeky...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k thankx nethken for the feedback and useful advice as ever.

here is sum reference to my own body and sum sketches from reference to magazines(if u are of a nervous disposition or of a sensitve audience i really dont care.lol)

new artist on the block

new artist on the block

new artist on the block

new artist on the block

ok ill probs get an earful from the ladies who have viewed my thread but its all for a good cause:my improving art on the female from cuz im crap at sketching that although the last pic is one on the best that i have done> so plz give c&c as usual.(sorry if this offends anyone)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you have to start drawing from life and learning anatomy..
    don't draw what you think u see, but what u see..
    everything looks quite crappy because proportions are not right. practice and u will improve
    you should check out loomis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    K peps totally random stuff from my sketch book.
    u know the routine: i submit u guys give critique and stuff so here they are:

new artist on the block
    random robot thing

new artist on the block
    another cyber knight

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well, im offended, no feedback. obviously it was so rubbish its not worth mentioning,
    here are some doodles(knew physics was good for sumthing!)
    jus random legs:
    new artist on the block

Sterlingcrispin Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by the_elder
    well, im offended, no feedback. obviously it was so rubbish its not worth mentioning,

Plenty of threads get alot less comments then this one even has , and they might even have more work posted in them. Dont get discouraged just keep working

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Wasp

k cheers Sterlingcrispin, will do. gt sum more random doodles:

new artist on the block

Last edited by the_elder; January 29th, 2005 at 01:08 PM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    (if u are of a nervous disposition or of a sensitve audience i really dont care.lol)
    Boobies in a bra! Ooh, goodness, my heart's all aflutter. sorry, I just think that's cute. Nobody cares.

Just as reinforcement: Anatomy. Reference. Use live models if possible. Do self portraits. You're not at a stage yet where drawing anatomy from imagination is an option for serious learning. www.fineart.sk has some nice photo reference for you to use.

Art is long and time is fleeting

Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've got to second (third, fourth, fifth?) most everyone else, you could really benefit from even just some passing anatomy work. Don't try to rush in all at once, either. Start a sketchbook thread, something you can put work in every day, and focus on one certain part (the arm, the hand, etc), trying to figure that part out at little more.

Examine yourself, people around you, and pick up some source material (Loomis is free online) to look at and draw from. Books you can carry around and if you don't feel like drawing, pop one of 'em open and just mull over the information and instruction in them.

-Clockwork

"If something looks too big, make it bigger. If it looks too small, make it smaller. You're dealing with fear here, not right or wrong."

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah, tully's right, anatomy is gonna help you alot, but keep doing your imaginative peices, they're great! anatomy will make them look even better, you obviously have a great imagination, but try to do some pure anatomical studies, like a whole page of torsos or arms, it will help you loads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    k will do...like Zeb says there shud be an Anotmy blah blah blah button to save reptitive strain injury. k doin the anatomy thing with legs at the moment and i just found some of my biro sketches on my 'homework' diary:

new artist on the block

shud really post that on Zeb's drawing in class. the sword is probably the best ting on there

new artist on the block

ditto but these are some concept ideas for a thing i created. Nethken im working on that backtory shud be posted soon as i am thinking of handing it in as a enlgish coursework!

new artist on the block

colaberation wiv PHATAndy(shud really be on his thread)

PLz give c&C

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Try studying perspective and basic forms (box, ball, cone, cylinder,etc) and get a good handle on creating volumes. When studying from life or reference be sure to analyze your subject's volumes also.. try breaking them into basic shapes at first and when you get a good handle on that start refining those shapes using anatomy study. You will start to build a visual vocabulary that will help you analyze and recreate anything you see from any viewpoint (after a lot of practice of course).

Cave House Studios - creative animation and video
    What the Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    cheers for the 3d advice Mike will use that for when i finsih my next work(im jus finishing the pose and positioning)

also i would jus like to add that the team up between me and PHATAndy(NINJA:TheFallen) was a pre anatomy peice(as in we knew nuthing of this forum and just were messing around!)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.