Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: new artist on the block

Thanks

Talking new artist on the block

hey sup
    im new to all of this and i am hopin to imporve on my artwork cuz the work that sum of the guys on here have done is preety awesome. i accept critisism as long as it is constructive and my man PhatAndy can vouch for the fact that i do want to improve so heres a little teaser of what i can do if i put my mind to it!new artist on the block
    Last edited by the_elder; December 26th, 2004 at 10:53 AM. Reason: spelling
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Magnificent.

Thanks
    The Hands are too small for his size.

The ground line and how he is kneeling don't match up at all. It looks as if he his holding himself up in the air with his sword, which is one the ground, but only by the very tip.

The head is too small for the body.

His right leg, the armor is out of perspective. I'm assuming that the flat part is facing us, when in line with the drawing it should be facing more towards his right (our left).

Hey, Refrig, we like to actually make comments that help around here. Just saying magnificent and blowing smoke up someone's ass isn't helpful. If anything, it just reinforces someone doing something wrong.

Out.

Absolute Honesty

I Can't Stand People That Can't Spell.

Thanks
    When first starting out, it's helpful to use references (even taking shots of yourself in the pose you want) and drawing the figure prior to the armor. It's also useful to refer to a good anatomy source. Do several drawings in poses where you can accurately judge the proper proportions, then move out to working on more complicated pieces.

Baby steps.

Thanks
    I think you need to work on anatomy a bit more, and putting 3d shapes on paper because my biggest problem is he looks really flat. plus the perspective is kinda messed up with the left leg and the sword going into the ground. His torso also looks too big compared to his legs.

something that might help is to first create a stick figure first to keep it from looking spastic, then flesh it out by making long sausages, then add details. besides for that the character design isn't that bad.

just trying to help

Thanks

Talking

cheers for the c&c. much apreciated. yes i do need to do a lot of work on the anatomy part, and my man PHATAndy is givin me tips and helps on that front so much apreciated for the heads up. although i am chuffed for the comment by RefrigeratorCo, Zeb is right cuz thats jus tellin me im beta than i am. Dogfood: i di use refernce to myself but obviously i went wrong sumwhere so i'll try and improve on that. and Emptybox: i did start out with a stick figure but i guess that went pear shaped aswell.

hope to post sum more stuff soon and i'll be waiting for ur comments!!!

Thanks
    som more stuff. im tryin to compare 2 scenes of the samwe thing. plz tell me what u think:

new artist on the block

new artist on the block
    Last edited by the_elder; January 6th, 2005 at 02:15 PM.

Thanks

Talking Union Symboite

Here is a coloured version of the Union2. its sum guy bonding with a symbiote(hope u guys and gals no wat that means!) and well, inspiration from spawn and spider man. plz give us sum notes and what u think. thanks.

new artist on the block

Thanks
    hey elder,

i would say focus on anatomy - try to learn it inside out. I think it probably one of the most important things to learn, and in so doing, u can also learn about controlling line etc.

look at pics of people, maybe body builders for muscles, just anywhere. practice practice practice! the more we do something the better we get, so keep drawing

Thanks
    I don't generally do this, and I hope you don't mind, but I got bored so I did this.

Same pose as yours, just a different approach to the symbiotic union and the symbiote in general.

I really do not like the eyes.

As for yours, just keep drawing.

Many many people here preach the same damn "anatomy...blah blah blah" song. Trust me, you will get sick of hearing it, reading it, knowing it will happen again.

It is actually a generic reply here. They should just make an "auto-anatomy-reply" button to save hours of typing.

I digress.

Practice makes better, reference rocks, when all else fails, use fire.

Out.

Absolute Honesty

I Can't Stand People That Can't Spell.

Thanks
    hmm...actually, I think the elder's version of the symbiote is a bit more origional. Being able to see the eyes is an interesting touch, however:

A - practice anatomy until your brain hurst like hell. don't ever stop life drawing. if people aren't good at drawing it's because they haven't been drawing from life. You're off to a good start, now you just have to work. hard.

B - it would be cool to see the symbiote forcing it's way behind the eyes, maybe his spine is arched a little bit. Like I said I like this approach. Just push the fear this guy is experiencing, through his pose, maybe sweat, and start thinking about backgrounds. putting this guy in context would really help a lot.

Thanks
    Thinking about backgrounds may not sound fun in the beginning of character drawing, but it adds a great deal to a picture. Maybe you should consider the mood of the drawing. It kinda looks like you want it in the future, but I think its better when you put him in a fast food joint. I'm sure thats what you find in a one dollar fish sandwich.

Thanks
    I'm not sure if you're getting inundated with too much advice, yet, but when working up a concept, I find that it helps when I work up a story about a character. When I put it all in context, it helps everything flow much easier. In ref to Monkeygrrrl's comment, we're going to feel differently about the character dependant upon where we see him. Tell us how we should feel. I like the rigid muscles and especially what the hands are doing (they are both tense, but differently), and the eyes certainly show fear, but I don't know if this guy deserves this fate or not, or whether it'll all be good in the end (but the lack of knowing creates tension, which is good). By working out the whole story in your mind, you'll be able to pick out what to show us in order to better convey your idea.

I'm not sure if this is too far beyond where you are right now, but as Isric said: draw. Repeat, ad nauseum.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast