Too intense shadding?

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Too intense shadding?

I'm starting a thread here because i'm desperatly wateing for help to set some things out in my mind...
    I've started drowing about 2, 2.5 years ago. My thread is in my signature..

I have been told that my shadding ruins the hole sketch, that is bad to give so much detail on a volume, and it will be better to concentrate on grater areas of volume, leaveing the detail behind.... that i should do more gestures and leave the shadding....

My question is why is my shadding bad, and why is so bad to give details of muscles? How should i build a body in order to get the right proportions, the right movement sensation... Should i leave my sketches just a line, and focus more on the hole shape?...

If you can help me please do, because i'm in a great enigma right now..

PS: i don't have any artschool or artstudys till now, and i'm in an architecture collage, and the only advices that i get is from forums...

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I saw your sketchbook stuff and they look fine for the most part.

I think part of the "problem" is just being selective as to your shading. You just need to be much more selective in what you want the viewer to see. You don't need to shade everything to the point of photo-realism. It takes time to learn how to self edit your own work. What do you want us the viewer to see? Simplify everything else around it.

Simple things like a focus and cropping can also make a huge difference in your drawings as well so try to focus on those aspects as well.

Keep going. I think you're doing amazingly well without "formal training".

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you verry much for the advices! I'll try to do what you have told me, and i'll post soon the new work...
    Thank you again!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think your stuff is fine. dont even worry about it, just keep working and working and ultimately u will be happy with it and thats all that matters.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Icey
    thank you verry much for the advices! I'll try to do what you have told me, and i'll post soon the new work...
    Thank you again!!!
    Glad I could help. I'm looking forward to seeing m ore of your work. Keep up the solid efforts.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dadamafia - thank you I think it matters most if the best man alive loves my work... I maight be just a user among 10000 others, and probably this is something you hear everyday, but i want to be the best, even without help, and where people look at you strange when you start drowing, alone, in your corner... , searching forums for advices - i don't want this to sound too dramatic, because it can be worse...
    I dream that sometime i could leave this shitty country and, just once, take part of one of the workshop that i admire here, on Conceptart links...

Storyboard Dave, hope you don't mind if i'll post some other questions here on this thread, hopeing that someone will answear Thank you again!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dadamafia - thank you I think it matters most if the best man alive loves my work... I maight be just a user among 10000 others, and probably this is something you hear everyday, but i want to be the best, even without help, and where people look at you strange when you start drowing, alone, in your corner... , searching forums for advices - i don't want this to sound too dramatic, because it can be worse...
    I dream that sometime i could leave this shitty country and, just once, take part of one of the workshop that i admire here, on Conceptart links...

Storyboard Dave, hope you don't mind if i'll post some other questions here on this thread, hopeing that someone will answear Thank you again!!

By all means, post away. That's why these forums were created.

If I'm around, I'll try my best to answer. And if not, PM me & I'll answer there the best I can as well.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Icey, I can't see anything wrong in your shadings either. Just carry on and keep asking questions. You're on a very fine level already, just keep going!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you jester. I'll keep working, untill everybody will like my stuff

One question... hmm.. It has nothing to do with shadding (well.. not quite..). I've tried to drow with coal - hand made coal, like small sticks... But everything that comes out it's just a total mess... If you could give me an advice with this, I would be verry happy! When ever you have time, please post 2 words here

Happy new year, to everyone!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    thank you jester. I'll keep working, untill everybody will like my stuff

One question... hmm.. It has nothing to do with shadding (well.. not quite..). I've tried to drow with coal - hand made coal, like small sticks... But everything that comes out it's just a total mess... If you could give me an advice with this, I would be verry happy! When ever you have time, please post 2 words here

Happy new year, to everyone!
    It's cool that you want to experiment with charcoal. I wish I had some magical advice for you on that stuff- it was never one of the mediums I picked up easily in school. I'm still a dud with it and you might be too. Realize that not every medium is going to be friendly to you. If you want to continue with it, I'd highly encourage it but if it just doesn't do it for you and you can get the same effect in some other medium, go for that instead.

One thing that might help is if you wrap the charcoal perhaps. It might cut down on the over all messiness of it.

Any charcoal savvy people around?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.