All former ConceptDesignForum.com Members, introduce youselves here

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

All former ConceptDesignForum.com Members, introduce youselves here

Well, I've been on this forum a little while, and after making a bunch of dumbass newbie posts, I've tried to adopt more of a quality over quantity approach when it comes to posting. That's why there's probably a bunch of people here who have no idea who I am.

Prior to joining this forum, I joined conceptdesignforum.com, a forum Admined by Francis Tsai, who I'm sure many of you should know. When I got there, it was evident that that forum was not nearly as heavily trafficked as it once was, and it was hard to get a really good reply from one of the professionals that formerly posted there. Francis announced on 12-20 that he was going to close down the forum altogether, opting to redirect forum members to more heavily traficked art websites such as this, where they can recieve more critiques on their work.

Anyway, I know there's a few crossover members who post here as well as there, but for those that don't, but apparently may begin doing so in the next few days, I've started this thread so they can introduce themselves.

Last edited by PaulGanguly; December 23rd, 2004 at 01:56 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I was member there and also way back when it was originally called the TeamGT forums. They were even hosted on ezboards. You'll find a pretty big group of us who go back that far. Me, davi and Crash are the only ones who I can immediately think of, and I believe there are quite a few more. I know Feng and Spinefinger were pretty active there too.

That's too bad about Francis Tsai's forum. I always remember it as being fairly small but more focused and tight knit... Any idea where Francis is going to start posting now? He has too much tallent, experience and knowledge to offer a good online concept art community for him to just drop off the face of the internet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yea that's too bad i've always thought of the teamgt forum for helping to starting the concept art communities, besides getting me interested in it. that's the way it goes i guess.. just moving on. anyway i was nova on teamgt.. and sijun in case you were there. nice to meet ya! *bow*

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to hear it wont be forgotten.

I tried ot get Francis' attention on concept design forum, to see if I can kinda get his 'blessing' as far as bringing some of the newer members there who may not be aware of this forum over to here when CDF goes down. He posted this thread to tell people about the close. As for your question about where he posts now, I know he does a lot on CGtalk.com, and has actually placed pretty high in their various challenges, including machineflesh a while back (He shoulda won that damn thing. It's rigged, I tells ya).

I know the forum was HUGE back in the day, but now it's unfortunately only a relic of it's former self. I've wandered through the lost threads, and seen some of the names of the greats that now occupy the pantheon of modern concept art. I eerily get the same feeling browsing through there that I get wandering through an old dusty library, or a cavernous art gallery. Call me crazy, but I ain't kidding.

Anyway, there actually have been several new people who've signed up in the past several months, some who have a more 'deviantart-esque' style, but many who're interested in pure design, and commercial illustration. Myself among them. I joined about a year ago, and I know that I've probably been one of the closest things they've had to a postwhore in the last year. Of course, that only means I only had about 90 posts.

I do agree that it's a great place to start out, especially lately with the large number of student-level member's who've joined, such as myself a year ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by Exo
    He has too much talent, experience and knowledge to offer a good online concept art community for him to just drop off the face of the internet.
    Definitely. His website's at the top of my reference bookmark folder. I've learned a lot on that forum, and I'm gonna hate to see it go. This weekend, I think I'll make time to do a little tribute piece.

PS. If more people read the sticky he made, and opt to join this forum, I think there ought to be a few more new new members who make their appearance hopefully in this thread.

*Edit*

WOAH! Exo, I remember you! Who could forget that giger-esque avatar. Well...me, apparently. Had to jog my memory by actually seeing it. I searched both your names, and found the first post when the board became a Php BB forum, and Francis made the inaugural post. Has it really always kinda been downhill from there? I can't imagine that it was more than two or so years ago. Each of you apparently never made it past 20 posts, as you, Exo had 17, and Nova had 16. When did CA.org go online? Was this site's inception something of a death knell for CDF?
    Anyway, just thought I'd share.

Last edited by PaulGanguly; December 23rd, 2004 at 04:11 AM.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've been there, too. I have fond memories of this forum. It's a pity!

Jester

Imagination is intelligence having fun!

Jester's Sketchbook

Portfolio web site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i was there, too (same nick). it was great for its projects like davis eliphos or the TLA by delopolis. somehow, the spirit left shortly after the forum went from ezboards to cdf.com.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a member since it was teamGT as well. But I was mostly a lurker under a different name

This is really sad......

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I was a member a long time ago.. I think that may have been how i found CA.org...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Long time member of CDF, looking forward to posting here instead.

Chizzle

Personal Art & Design Portfolio of Craig Wadman
    http://www.craigwadman.com/

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey chizzle, good to have you here. Let's see if we can sway a few people over to conceptart.org, before cdf goes completely offline, if it is in fact going to.

Anyway, you PMed me a while back, and I don't recall ever responding to you, but I have to say that my method is really just a slight modification on this tutorial by Roberto Campus. He makes it look soooo easy. The only thing that I do differently is add more color layers. And I usually do a colored highilight, then a white shine layer. Try to keep the extremes to a minimum. Use black only for stuff that's really black, and white only for things that are really white. Specifically spots of highlight on the ends of noses, and the tops bald heads, or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    well I was a memeber as well. Same name as at conceptdesignforum will be posting here more often now.

the only way to avoid temptation is to give in

my sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey all. Its Koober here (see avatar). Legi is the name I used everywhere but CDF, so now I'll just switch to Legi while I have the opportunity. I haven't been on CDF much in the past few months, I mentioned this on the little goodbye thread we have. I'm aiming to become more active, so I guess I'll be being active on here if CDF isn't saved.. heheh.

So, greetings CA.org!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Guess we've finally lost CDF then.. well.. atleast for now.. it's nice that it's been called 'extended hibernation' rather than anything else. Its a shame, but here we are to continue our journeys on ca.org

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    damn, I had just joined and then I check they're taking it down. pity, it seemed like a good forum, if not a beat dead as of late.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hrm.. well. I checked this morning, and it had been taken down. Just checked back again and it's.. well.. it's back again. Don't know what's happening, but every second I can squeeze from it is good news.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Good to have all you CDF people here. Unfortunately, we have yet to hear back from Francis as far as his decision on whether or not to keep CDF online.

And...

While I'm typing this, I tabbed back to it, and it says 'This board is closed at the moment. Please call back later.'

So...

This could be it kids...

RIP Concept Design Forum

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Looks like it eh?

<cries slightly>

Never mind eh.. life must go on.. CA.org seems cool, though it's hard getting used to browsing such a large forum.. and feeling so inadequate, heheh.

koober.deviantart.com
    Refugee from CDF.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I also remember Spinefinger's posts and other great artists. I can't draw mechanical things to save my life which is why Francis' forum was always a great place to be wowed. I think he didn't get a lot of advertisment for his forum. Reguardless, I'll remember it fondly.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Well, whatever happens; our time spent on CDF.com together has turned us into a small family/community. Whatever happens I hope it happens with all of us still together. Just like how we all migrated here together.

Going from such a small, more concentrated forum to huge forums like this one and cgtalk is like going from warm to cold water. on CDF I felt like I got better Crit. Everyone on these big forums tends to give the same "hey cool work" crit.

....its just not the same.....

But If it is gone for good. I hope to see you guys around. You'll deffinetly see me around under the same name. I specifically didn't change it to GRIDLYNE so you guys can find me around easier. See ya around everyone.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.