Submissions help!!!

View testimonialsView Artwork
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Exclamation Submissions help!!!

Hello everyone,
    I was wondering and maybe any of the professionals can help me here. What should I include in my portfolio for a concept art job? How many pieces should I have? I appretiate any help you guys (and gals)can give me. Thanks a bunch!

~J.
    http://www.realmsofnowhere.com

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know this is going to sound cliche but research is first & foremost.

Find out about the companies you plan on submitting you stuff to. Do the research about them. Find out what makes them money, what makes them tick and then gear your portfolio towards them and their particular needs.

And THEN 10-20 pieces of your strongest work. Choreograph it in a sound and logical way for the viewer. Don't just drop off a CD or DVD. And do NOT rely on just email, unless that's what they are requesting for the initial meeting. Find out exactly what format they want and then follow it to the letter. The most important meeting is the initial face-to-face meeting with them- get in to meet with a creative drector or the person that's doing the hiring. Be prepared to have a leave behind piece to remind them of who you are.

During the interview, sound enthusiastic and be prepared to let them know how you may serve their company and be an asset to them- NOT the other way around. It's their company, they hold the marbles now and you're not going to tell them how to save it in that initial meeting. Attitude attitude attitude can get you into more doors than a stellar portfolio with an ugly chip on your shoulder.

Be prepared to follow up with a phone call about a week later and even a thank you card for taking the time out of their day to meet with you. Continue to let them know you're still interested in the job. And even if you don't get hired immediately, ask them how they would like to receive future samples of your work. Keep in contact with them.

This is just one scenario for successful interviewing but if you need more info, please feel free to PM me.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thumbs up Thanx Dave

Dave,
    Thanx for the advice. I appretiate it. I'm sure I'll have more questions as I start sending submissions and what not.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.