Art: Warrior

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Warrior

Thanks

Warrior

Hello there!

This is my latest work. I hope you like it.
    Any crits are wellcome.

Thanx

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    nice work, like the feel of the movement.

The background should be more light, to feel the depth.

good job

Drawing when you sleeping, can help you...

Ramiro

Thanks
    thanx, ramirodraw.

Thanks
    I think that's nice, show us more!

Thanks
    yeah, I like this also... I wish you would have gave it some color though to really give it some pop...! But you have some really good motion going on... Post more

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    well, i have a colored version too. I`ll post that to, later on.

Thanks
    A couple of comments.
    This piece has a lot more potential than I think it's reaching right now (that's a good thing) I mean, for me, a couple of small "improvements" would dramatically improve the overall effectiveness of the piece. In some ways it's about removing the negatives.

You know that old adage that "a portfolio is only as strong as its weakest piece?" Well, as an art director, I can tell you that's true. We tend to focus (intentionally or not) on the worst piece in the portfolio, as if the best ones are just "lucky" but the worst ones accurately represent the artist's ability. So, as much as that one piece may be especially meaningful to you, you're best to yank it before submitting the portfolio for review (assuming, of course, you have enough good work to qualify for a complete portfolio, which is usually the dilemma artists face when starting out!).

The analogy here is, for a single piece often one weak area will sort of reveal (or I should say seem to reveal) a lesser capability on the part of the artist. Whether that's true or not, the point is one or two poorly executed areas can dramatically reduce the overall impact of a piece. If you were submitting the work for professional use or publication, realistically you might be better of just removing the problematic area(s). But for learning, of course, you should home in on those areas and work on them, because that's how you advance (by focusing on your weaknesses, not your strengths).

Blah blah, after all that I say first I agree with ramirodraw, but would hesitate from giving you specific advice. Ramirodraw is reacting to the same thing I am, namely that the whole piece is overall one value (dark gray) with lots of white highlights picking out the forms here and there. Stand really far away from your monitor or shrink the image down small and you'll see. While I 100% agree with ramirodraw's suggestion (lightening the background) there are other ways to deal with this, and you might find a better one.

The second thing that is really holding this back is the handling of the medium (I know its' digital, but the same principle applies). In some places it looks like black ink line work. In others it's sort of a blurry gray thing. In a few of these places it works great (the main figure's knee protectors and his sword); in others it is so transparent it looks amateurish and unfinished (the "victim's" right arm, and the entire lower right corner of the picture). If you were using real paint you wouldn't have this problem, which I could simplistically describe as lack of texture, or lack of randomness, organic variety, etc. With digital media you actually need to work a lot harder to get that (one of the drawbacks). For example, with oil paint you can mix a single color and paint it into an area, and the resulting "flat" color actually has a lot of variety and texture in it automatically. But with digital "painting", obviously, if you the same thing it will be nastily flat!! (like the left side of your pic, the large very dark gray area).

In the left shoulder of the "victim" (at the bottom of the pic, in the center) it's almost starting to work. You've got like a little crack or gouge rendered there, you're starting to eliminate the banding and the soft smoothing (which is as undesirable in my opinion) and it's almost doing it.

I'm guessing you did this in Photoshop. I have done lots of work in Photoshop too, but I would also suggest you try Painter if any of what I said is meaningful to you.

I hope that helps,
    -Chris

Thanks
    Warrior says, "OWNED!!!".

Thanks
    I like this very much, however there's one thing that bugs me...

The helmet/face doesn't seem to... I dunno, fit with the intense feeling of the piece. Somehow, if that's his eye that you can barely see, it looks almost sad/gloomy, faintly of Droopy Dog, along with the white part on the front of the helmet it just looks, odd to me.

The only good Blue is a dead Blue!

Thanks
    that is real nice, but i dont think his fingers shud be stretched out like that

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.