Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: ~~~Ambient Electronic Music~~~

Thanks

Lightbulb ~~~Ambient Electronic Music~~~

Dost THOU DIG THE OMINOUS ROAR????

Does anyone else out there "catch feelings" for ambient music? (i'm not talking about the CD's at the Grocery store that your mom listens to when she takes a bubble bath, but more of the expiremental soundscape type stuff.) I've been collecting this sort of thing on vinyl, cd, and mp3 for several years now and am curious about whether anyone else on these forums has any leads that I could follow, as my own expertise is very limited.

In my experience it can be a rewarding music to listen to while drawing because the listener's own sounds and environment (in this case, the artist's marking on paper, body movements, breathing) end up contributing to the greater sound experience. Because many of these compositions are formal or earnest in tone they can even aid the artist in taking his work more seriously. As such, they become, in a way, a (for lack of a non-cheesy way of putting it) soundtrack for your present endeavors. In my experience it is a very interactive style of music--although many people i speak with relegate it monotonous or uninteresting.

Other thoughts: a new grocery store (grocery store reference #2... geez.) opened up here and it's the new style where every wall (except for the front of the store where you enter and exit) is covered by some kind of a cooler, whether the open dairy-products, frozen foods or fresh vegetables. Before their easy listening music system went online, it was a most surreal environment to be in. While in the middle of an aisle, you could hear the faint, ominous buzz of the all of the refrigeration units. Walking closer to the end of the aisle the volume, variation, and depth of the sound increased subtly to yield a startling minor chorus of refrigeration motor drones. Sounds like this, to me, are very interesting in that they seem alien, otherworldly or spiritual , but yet, in their origin are so mundane.

Here are a few of my favorites: "Music for airports" by Brian Eno, "Room Tone" by David Kristian, and "Disintegration Loops" by William Basinski. I could go on and on, but will save these for a later time when this thread has elicited a response or two.

Regards,

The Gugg
    Last edited by guggemmaneuver; September 24th, 2006 at 06:10 PM. Reason: thread title change
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    I also really dig ambient tracks. Check out Aphex Twin's ambient works cd's and there are some really good stations on Winamp internet radio. the Sleepbot station in particular. And the stations are a good way of finding other stuff, I often find myself jumping out of bed to write down the name of an artist or song. But usually they are too hard to find.
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    http://www.digitallyimported.com/chillout/

This is an internet radio station that has excellent ambient music. I can't go a minute on the computer without listening to it

Thanks
    Hehe I'm like that with the Groove Salad internet radio station...more often than not its playing in my room, therefore kind of a soundtrack hehe.
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    OH man I'm crazy about the Fight Club soundtrack. Best movie...best music...!

And I heard about this electronica band named "Air"...are they good?

Thanks

other tips

Greetings;
    Here's a link to one of the best ambient shows that I've heard... (and it is a 1.5 hour show, not a 24 hr stream like some of the ones that have been mentioned) "Atmospherics" from (Atlanta) georgia tech's WREK 91.1fm is untouchable in my opinion. You have to click on what bandwidth you prefer before selecting a day to listen to, but it opens as an M3U stream in winamp or itunes, or whatever else you have. The stream may start off as an "earth and sky" spot and may have a few silly college radio style promos mixed in. They have gotten a lot better about announcing the artist and track names afterwards as well. I've picked up on so many amazing groups musicians from this show / station.

http://www.wrek.org/stream/schedule.shtml

Recently there was a selection called "Threshhold" that I heard there by two composers / musicians Peter Fleur and Paul Duncan... imagine the ambient howl of wind, but on diesel.

also, a friend refered me to the amibient channel of this station that promises to be enjoyable: http://www.radioio.com/

I will try to check out sleepbot and the aphex twin "ambient works," Rkhon. I've got one of their other more techno-based cds and really like it--seems like they are really good at what they do. I've spent some quality time with groove salad in the past and really enjoyed. Right now i'm listening to digitally imported's chillout stream and am pretty impressed with it.

I'm not sure that I've ever heard the group air, but i do remember that the soundtrack to "Virgin Suicides" did so much to set up the surprise ending. Good sound direction in a project can add so much.

Regards,
    the Gugg

Thanks
    check out PPK

DJ Pimenov alone is awesome, but when he teams up with tochka uleta, it's amazing, pure genious

cheers
    Last edited by Lauren Short; December 22nd, 2004 at 03:27 AM.

Thanks
    Cool, love this type of music. Gonna check those out. Ambient noises and music always stick out to me in games and movies etc.

Here is what the album looks like with some samples... http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/aphex_...90/album.jhtml
    Motivation...gone.

Sketchbook be here...

Thanks
    I checked out groovesalad when you mentioned it. Been putting it on on any comp I sat at since then ...

This shit is wicked.
    /fd
    "It's too bad she won't live! But then again, who does?"

Thanks
    haha, yea i discovered groove salad a while ago, so its either that, or defcon comedy radio, playing on my computer, like all the time
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    Air is an excellent group, great sound to their stuff. I got a CD from my painting teacher "Air and Blockhead", great music. (Blockhead is another small group that has excellent electronic/ambient sound). Hearts of Space is another great one, they have hour long sessions dedicated to certain styles of music, and some of them are great, great ambient stuff. Grey Area has some nice stuff too. So many to name!!

Thanks
    as far as I know (which isn't much as I dont like this type of music) the new burzum material is ambient. burzum was a black metal band (one of the pioneers) and then varg vikerness decided to stop playing metal. even their old music was ambient black metal, where he would strum the same riff over and over with some synth, it's really good, but the new stuff is pure ambient.

either way get some of that, read about it it here

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by emptybox
    as far as I know (which isn't much as I dont like this type of music) the new burzum material is ambient. burzum was a black metal band (one of the pioneers) and then varg vikernes decided to stop playing metal. even their old music was ambient black metal, where he would strum the same riff over and over with some synth, it's really good, but the new stuff is pure ambient.
    You might not want to support that guy, since he is a horrible white supremacist ass. The reason he's reverted to beatless ambient music (apart from being in jail and only being allowed a synth in the way of musical instruments) is that he now thinks drums, as used in rock music, is a 'black' thing, thus unfit as a basis for 'pure' music. What a tosser...

If you are on the lookout for some dark ambient soundscapes, I would suggest cheching out stuff like Lustmord, Controlled Bleeding, Tarentel, Tribes of Neurot (which is basically an ambient counterpart to some of the Neurosis albums) and also perusing the catalogue of the wonderful record label Warp, which has stuff like Aphex Twin, B12, Plaid and Boards of Canada on their roster. Guess I should plug some highly listenable Norwegian artists too: Biosphere, Arne Nordheim, Deathprod (who has also done some amazing remixes of Nordheim's compositions) are all very atmospheric.

A good source for finding choice ambient and electronic cuts would be www.epitonic.com

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast