Gnomon's DVDs

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thread: Gnomon's DVDs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Gnomon's DVDs

Hi, just watched 5 dvds from Gnomon and i love them, i saw 3 from Scott Robertson, 1 from Carlos Huante and 1 from Yannick Dusseault.
    Actually I think in some part of the lecture they forget totally about you and that you are watchin'/lernin' from them and you're like what happened ?
    I got nothin' from Dusso's lecture, just the joy of see him work, he's ultra fast doing his work but i didn't get a bit of the process, just his thoughts about what he's doing.
    Anyways, in any form i'm saying that the quality of the product is bad or something, I love them, just grabbing them in my hands make me smile, maybe they don't suit with me and my level as an artist...
    Just wanted to share my thoughts with you and read some of yours.

-Diego

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow I got kind of confused by your post. You went from loving them to death to harshly critiqueing them to loving it again. But ya I've been wondering how those dvds are. From what I hear it's really good, but of course they can't teach ya everything, just like any book or dvd but I always hear good things from them. When I start working I'm a start buyin them.

"Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yeah, bit messed up...
    Don't get me wrong, just saw them and just the fact that i didn't learn pretty much from dusso doesn't mean that i love what he's doing on the screen.
    You should get one when you can. Check the contents and buy some.

Good luck

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeah the dvds are great i almost have all the analog ones.. i have always liked ryan church and feng zhu.. and its really awesome to see them work.

oh diego what part of finland you in? i know a couple people in Espoo

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey caligula, yeah, i'd like to see Ryan Church's or Feng's DVDs...Actually i can't afford more of them by now...
    I'm in Helsinki right now for a couple of months, never been at Espoo.
    It will be great to meet some people around by time i'll be here to hang out a while and draw.
    See ya.

-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Zack Petroc's new ZBrush DVD is amazing. Another great Gnomon release!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have no doubt that these dvd's have amazing art being produced right infront of your face... But I'm wondering if they are really good for educational purposes. I mean I can look at a sketchbook and learna whole bunch from it but do they really try to tell you techniques that they do and different ways that they go about doing things? I know it's not geared to the ABSOLUTE beginner that can't draw at all but I'm wondering if it's good for people trying to brush up on a few things or just learn a few new things.

"Do the best that you wanna do." -My personal quote.

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=35829

Sketchbook Thread. Look at it, rate it, post and crit on it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    They are awesome...

Watching someone work is inspirational and educational...
    If i had the money all the analogs would be in my possession...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Daunting,
    From my experience with Scott Robertson's lectures i can tell you that i learned a lot about perspective, differents ways of approch a grid in perspective, measuring in perspective....Build basic and complex forms in perspective, starting just with a plane.
    They were pretty educational for me in the ID aspect.
    So being an amateur in that matter i could follow him perfectly tru his lecture...
    Then you can get his advanced lectures about cars, ships.....with being lost at all.

-D

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im going to art school so most of his (scott robinson) was review.. but hey it nice to go abck and refer to it. i think ryan church's are the best.. he uses painter.. and he shows some great methods of working in painter for quick compositions.
    then watching carlos huentes.. ahha it makes me sick how good that guy is! "i have no idea what im going to draw,.... im just lightly hitting the paper with my pencil until something comes."
    2 hours later....
    a masterpiece..

i love all the dvds it's great to just watch how other people work.. especially these guys.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Daunting
    I have no doubt that these dvd's have amazing art being produced right infront of your face... But I'm wondering if they are really good for educational purposes. I mean I can look at a sketchbook and learna whole bunch from it but do they really try to tell you techniques that they do and different ways that they go about doing things? I know it's not geared to the ABSOLUTE beginner that can't draw at all but I'm wondering if it's good for people trying to brush up on a few things or just learn a few new things.
    They're at least educational in the sense that you can see technique. You might love a blend they do in a drawing or some other nuance they put in but now you know how they actually did it.

People sometimes bitch & moan about why art schools should/ shouldn't have attendance policies. THIS is prime example of why I think they should- just so you can see the person next to you utilizing their techniques. I'm a firm believer of learning from observation as well as from practice.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I'm a big fan of the Gnomon DVDs, especially since I can't really afford to go to a good school. I have a bunch of them, mostly digital, and some analogs. That's pretty much how I learned Maya, and, although maybe some of the analog DVDs aren't for absolute beginners exactly, they're still worth watching. And every few months I watch a DVD over, and learn something new that I didn't see or understand before. They're a good and relatively cheap (compared to tuition costs) way to learn some valuable skills.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If anyone is interested, I haev a few for sale... PM me if interested..

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.