Thanks

Going from PC to MAC

Hey all, well I did it, I bought a MAC.

G4 Dual 1.25ghz
    2MB L3 Cashe
    2GB RAM
    80+250 Gig HD
    167mhz Bus.

It is comming with OS 1o and though I do have some moderate experience with Macs because of university I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good read on really getting into the operating system etc it would be fantastic!!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    im so sorry. hehe ...thats just me. it sounds like a great comp.

this book sounds good, i guess if youre looking for something thorough

Book: OSX unleashed
    Last edited by H.Evans; December 21st, 2004 at 01:48 AM.

Thanks
    Sounds like a good rig.

The only thing I have against Macs is the OS. Other than that the keyboard......and the one button mouse but that can be resolved....else Macs are really good hardware wise.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    Oh geez...there are so many OSX books out there. If you want, I've always started off with the MacIntosh Bible- it's a very very complete overview of everything you'd possibly want. Yeah, it's a little thick and wordy but it does cover lots of things. It might even be too basic on one level but go to the neighborhood bookstore & rummage through it.

Thanks
    welcome to the light side!

sites like this and the main apple site's forums have really good information. It's easiest if you know generally what you want to do and then search for how to do it. That's how I found out about a lot of stuff.
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    Darth I know the feeling man, the mouse kills me too, thankfully you are right it can be changed, it isn't that I dont like the one mouse click it is just that for some reason the position it leaves my fingers in causes some serious cramping.

I am using the Rig for mostly Final Cut Pro, Dvd Studio, Motion, Shake and a few other apps. I know my way around Premiere, AE etc but the way the industry is going or should I say has gone (outside of Avid) I better stay ontop of things while I am in school.

I'll check out the Mac Bible, thanks StoryboardD. And the Mac site is great! Thanks Squirp.

Thanks
    I would go for the explore and learn approach (but on the other hand, I kinda always do that...). In the end, it's Unix at the bottom...but I'm not really sure if that's good or bad. I know there are many parts of it which I don't like Anyway, since it's Unix I guess you can read a lot of weird sites to understand how it really works. Or just care about the basic commands like "ls"...then all you should have to do is type "man ls" in your favorite terminal and you will get a lengthy manual page on how that command works. If MacOS is as user-friendly as they tell you, you shouldn't really need to read anything to understand the GUI Just click around.

I'm not sure I would ever get used to a one-button mouse interface. How do you right-click something to be able to modify its properties?

Thanks
    ctrl-click = right click - but a lot of people just buy multiple button mice. I've used logitech for ages.
    Adventure Dog: my work

Thanks
    I, too, use a multi-button mouse- so easy! Buy a different keyboard if you want- any ol' USB will do! The thing about OSX is that it's Linux- much more adaptable and compatible with other systems. I'll be getting a new computer soon, but I'm leaning toward a PC for the first time- it's what we use at work, I've gotten used to working on it, and OSX hijacks too many f-keys for my taste. Still, the Mac calls to me....

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.