Thanks

Framing Lots of Art

hi, i'm new. hi hi. well i'm going to have a show mid jan, and i need 30 pieces to be framed.

i'm not too sure what is the best way to go, cuz this is my first time framing anything.

can anyone give me some pointers/thoughts on:
    -how much is too much for say a 16"x20" black aluminum frame.
    -and if i should be wary of ordering frames online. especially large frames (up to 31"x58"); do i chance things getting dented and stuff? any bad experiences ordering online?

helpee helpee!

aby3

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Hmmmm, well I just ordered some frames online last week. Had never done it before but it was so easy I couldn't resist. I haven't received my order yet so I can't say for sure if it's been a good experience yet or not.

This is the place I ordered from, they have lots of options for customizing etc. They seemed a bit better than my local frame shop as far as prices go.

http://www.americanframe.com

Thanks
    umm im not really in the know, but clarify about what size and ratio your getting. Because apparently unlike any other industry where you give the width X the hight. They do hight x width. That usueally wont matter, cause ya can spin em, but keep it in mind and clarify if your getting ones custom made. I was told this by word of mouth might not neeccesarily be true. But its what i heard.
    Sketch Book
    rook-art.com
    Quote Originally Posted by dogfood
    Sarcasm sometimes grips me like an octopus helmet.

Thanks
    You could always go out to any reputable art supply store & get yourself some Nielsen frame kits (you get them unassembled and in rails), buy some glass at the hardware store and frame it yourself. It's really not that tough to pul together and the Nielsen kits have just about everything you'll need in them.

Thanks
    I've ordered frames online with no problem. You can have them pre-assembled or just order the pieces and put them together yourself. It's probably the cheapest way to go, since you can really shop around for the best prices.

Matboard is a pain to get on-line, mostly because it's so heavy that no matter how well it's packed, it's still likely that corners will get dinged. I still order it online, though, since it's cheaper that way.

If you have a good relationship with a local framer, you may get them to cut you a deal on a number of frames--ordering it through them, or whatever.

If you have a resale number you can purchase wholesale.

Try checking out local molding companies for wholesale frames.

You can sometimes get glass and/or plexi cut at hardware stores--which should cost much less than getting it done at framing or art stores.

For aluminum frames--you should have no problems getting a good price on-line and having them ship them to you unassembled.

Good luck.

Thanks
    If you live in a larger city getting matte board, glass & frame rails shouldn't be any problem. The art supply stores should be able to get you all of it, but I'd still recommend going to the hardware store for glass- it's much cheaper there.