Illustration from college

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

This was the first assignment given to us in our Illustration 1 class, which is offered sophomore year in my school. I used pencil for the layout and composition, then went in with compressed charcoal and charcoal pencil for the basic rendering. Then I glazed it with a coat of acrylic spray medium and toned it sepia with somewhat thin acrylic paint. I finally added the whites with either white charcoal or white acrylic. The paper is normal strathmore drawing pad 18 x 24 paper. Critiques very welcome.

Last edited by El Ruco; December 16th, 2004 at 06:30 AM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very nice.

The only thing I see is that his stomach is kinda puffed out. Though that could be just intented. I dont know, your still a lot better than me...lol

Nice job.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Very nice. =)

I like the sculpted look and feel to it all. And I think it must be that that makes the tuft of the tail look just a wee bit out of place. As a texture, it feels somewhat alone. Perhaps it needs to look a bit like the head/facial hair? I also feel the same way about the blood marks -- like there ought to be just a smidgen more for them to count visually (or even do away with them entirely and rely on darker sepia instead to communicate).

It's great and has a nice imposing feel to it!

- W.

'
    Battered old junk: Creepy Noh | Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I agree completely with the tail comment; it definitely needs to have that same look as the hair. As for the blood, I would tend to go for the first option - having more red blood - instead of a darker sepia tone; probably because it gives an interesting element to the composition, I don't know... Thanks for the comments. I like your robot pieces a lot, by the way. They have a nice mood. I'm all for mood in illustrations.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The murderer

Here is my last assignment for my life drawing class. It was pretty much open for us to do whatever we wanted, as you can tell, so I went for a more illustrative piece. It is charcoal on 18x24 charcoal paper. I drew it from life -- it was hard keeping that pose for three hours (I did the pose in parts). One of the main things I have been focusing on lately is accepting the fact that I don't necessarily have to put down everything I know on a drawing, but rather be selective about it. I tried this with the contrast between the face and hands and the clothing. I hope I get better at it.Illustration from college

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

One of my first serious oil attempts.

I have almost never worked with color or the medium of paint, for that matter; I have mostly concentrated in drawing, so my paintings are pretty timid and insecure, and color tends to get a bit schematic. I know I need a much better understanding of color. This is my second self-portrait in oils. Comments on all its errors are very welcome.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quick comments on some really solid work I see here...

--the centaur- while the man section has a slight beer gut, the horse half seems to show some ribs! Maybe re-define that mid line going towards the tail of the creature. Soften it a bit perhaps.

--the charcoal drawing- love it! I like the way you chose which areas to emphasize to the viewer. Good selection of line qualities. Simplifying the jacket is great. The hat might seem small but for a demented guy like that, I kinda like it!

--the oil painting- great stab at it and yes you're right. You're just a little timid with it but that's okay. It's a little flat tonally on the flesh. Maybe just a tad brighter on where the light is coming from but beyond that, it's a really solid start.

Great stuff!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    For the color work, a nice trick

force yourself to use 10 completely different colors that you would not even think about using to render the same subject.It will push you to have a different approch...

for flesh you see pink so you paint pink...
    If you look at it there should be blue red yellow green mauve etc in there...
    Push yourself to analyse what you see how many colors there is there.
    Think about how much more vibrant you can make your painting by starting it with completely different colors than the ones you see...

Good stuff by the way
    Keep it up.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yo, you're from MICA?

Great pieces I love the stylization in the 2nd one
    yeah,with the color portrait, don't be afraid to add colors like blue and green into that face! It'll add some big time OOMPH to the piece

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for all the tips and sorry for my extremely delayed response. I agree with everything about the color in the painting, I just need to get rid of my shyness and spend more time painting. The centaur advice was also very helpful, I need to work on the unity of the two bodies. I´ll be posting up some stuf soon.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, DENART, I am from MICA, are you?

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.