Sketchbook: Dan1989's second sketchbook>>now with paint!<< (some nudity) - Page 4
Join Free Art WorkShopJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Thread: Dan1989's second sketchbook>>now with paint!<< (some nudity)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    nice studies dude. keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    More hands

Calligraphic emphasis, exercise from a drawing book

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some loomis head studies and hands, also a loomis fig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a painting of a flashlight, now with ACTUAL paint! Painting is harder than I thought it would be, done in gouache.

this is a hand study from an exercise in a book, diagrammatic emphasis

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here are some loomis head studies and some other stuff, 1 is a hand study with a structural emphasis, and 2 is just a quick gesture drawing of drapery.

Also came up with this and decided to color it.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey. Nice studies. I see that you like copying Loomis. Plan to do so myself hehe. It's important tha you do not only copy, but put effort into developing your own methods, both in construction and anatomy. When you figure out your own ways, you will absorb things easier. The more you try to absorb, the more you learn.

Keep it up. Nice to see such the hard work from a boy at your age!

Sketchbook
    Old Sketchbook
    Blog
    --------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Loomis head studies

loomis fig study

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Study for delineation, nothing special... basically I'm trying to see how much volume I can convey with line alone.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    you could convey a lot more volume and weight and stuff if you use lineweight to help you with it. look at loomis for instance and how his lines are thicker in shadow and thinner or even disappear where light is.
    another option is to make the lines thicker the closer they are to the viewer or thinner ones when drawing organic things to suggest tension. there´s a lot you can do with lineweight so you better start to develop a feeling for it.
    thicker lines at the bottom of your cup would help to indicate the weight of that object.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

BE DARING! - Make more than reality!

Muchos respectos on the anatomy, you've been working hard. Make sure you draw from your imagination as well. Try taking some of the elements that you have been studying from animals and textures in nature and combining them with the human form instead of starting from a place where it looks like you have just copied a pokemon or cartoon. BE DARING! Fantasy and science fiction are about pushing the limits of reality into new places never before experienced by the psyche. Rather than replicating life life, grow your own robot children or tell me about your worst nightmare through your sketch book and the tallent you have.
    Helpfull?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I think I'd have to go with Dan.v.D on the volume aspect. Straight even lines don't define volume very well. Try and vary the weights a bit more. Oh, and yes, Goache is hard Try working with it in very thin washes over a line drawing. I know a tendancy I have is to work to thick then the picture just doesn't look right

Overall you seem to be making a big improvement though, try and keep it up (and dont worry about the cringe worthy old pictures, my oldies are probably worse)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Dan.v.D.:I see what you mean about the line variation, I was trying to do that but I guess I should pay more attention to that aspect instead of the value of the lines so much.Thanks, very helpful comment!

Redleg:Another helpful comment, thanks you for the suggestions, I will definitely try to apply them.

Big-Dave:Yes, I am about to paint another gouache painting, and when I was doing it I realised what you just said, gouache IS hard! I think I might try oil painting, it just seems more suited to what I want to go for.

Ok, onto the stuff. Here is a painting of a remote control done in gouache, it didn't come out at all like I hoped for, but I learned a little while doing it I guess.

A very quick loomis thumbnail

And another delineation practice. Sorry, I did it before reading the suggestion about the line width, so it suffers from the same problem.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    The loomis drawing is just perfect. Some very nice animalstudies 2.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Your doing freaking awesome dude,
    I can sence the volumen of your studies
    very well, you got a sensitivity of line that
    brings to life your images, keep doing what your
    doing, Its working wonders!!!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, very impresive!
    Your Loomis studies are comin along great!
    tho I think it is importent allso to studie other things, such as environment, fantsy creatures, whatever, just to open up a bit more and become a little more flexible. Hum, hope u understood my thought here.

Anyway, your progress is amazing and you'll reach high if you want to!

T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks to all for the comments and suggestions. I will take the advice, also, just as a reminder, DON'T BE AFRAID to leave harsh critiques, I can take it. It's also the only way I'll improve.

Here are some hand gestures

Loomis figure

Loomis head studies

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Arrow

Hey, you have some really nice stuff in your sketchbook and you are really mastering those hands, keep at it, I'd like to see you develop your own method for drawing the human form from imagination, right now it seems to me that you are copying loomis' finished drawings very accurately but you should practice building your own poses, either with stick figures, boxes,cillinders, a simplified skeleton or anything else that suits you until you develop your own personal style to draw the form.

I figure you are about three months ahead of where I am (talent and practice-wise) so Keep it up or I'll catch up

Help your fellow artists get better.. Post a critique today!!!
    SSG 3:
    PixelDragoon
    RETEP
    Sara-san
    JustinBeckett
    Dan1989
    darkarts
    charcoalArtist (me)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Wow man, you've got some great stuff going on here!! I love all the hands and gestures, and you seem to be especially good at drawing animals. Like redleg said, you should try to incorporate some of your stuff into your drawings from imagination, it looks like you've got a pretty good foundation to do that, especially with how well you draw animals. The only thing I don't like in here is the lined paper! Keep it up, draw every day, the only excuse is if your arms are cut off or you're barfing or something.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I know I need to draw from imagination more... but I figure it's better to do studies and improve instead of goofing off drawing silly things, but I guess I should find the time to draw from my mind more, I will try to post some stuff from imagination tomorrow, thanks

The usual. Loomis heads and hand gestures

Loomis fig (happy with the way this one came out)

Form study from an exercise in a book, basically the objective was to disregard the form's local tone and draw them as if they were all white.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Here is a loomis study and some drawings from imagination, I was frustrated because I couldn't think of any good designs for the characters, but I guess I have to keep trying.

and more hands, bah, they're all starting to look the same!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Uggh... I had a boring day and didn't have much time to draw... here are some studies

Don't be afraid to drop a line, I don't bite

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I have to say, good progression, but each update it's almost the same hand. Try making different sized hands. Fat hands, baby hands, female hands, beaten hand, thumbless hands, etc.

Also, maybe try moving on to different areas also, faces, legs, feet, etc.

Good progress though.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    incognito: TY for the comment, the reason they are all the same hand is because it's my hand XD I know I need to move on to different areas (and subjects in general.)

Well I didn't draw as much as I should have today, but I actually had fun drawing! Something I really need to do more often. The reason is because I used refs, I'm tired of doing nothing but studies from books (it can be boring) and things from my head (which is FRUSTRATING), so here ya go. Credit to photosig.com for the refs

And here is a value study, it came out very messy looking, but I guess it conveys the general objective

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Sorry, I would have posted yesterday but photobucket was down for maintenance -_- Here is a painting of some bananas, it looks better than the painting of the remote I guess...

and some studies from ref, credit to photosig.com for the refs

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wow, dan!
    on the first few posts I would have critisized a lack of contrast, but you seem to have overcome this problem. I like the animals a lot, I especially adore the dogs and deers. most of your hands are looking good, as do the gouaches.
    definitely keep up the good work!

edit:
    oh and this figure is awesome!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Major appologies for being such a slacker and not posting in so long! I got a new computer blah blah so I didn't install my scanner for a few days. Here is some stuff I did today and yesterday

Loomis figures

Bridgman studies

Loomis and some hands

hands

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've noticed that my drawings look different on my new computer than on my old one, so please tell me if anything looks wrong/off about the contrast or sharpness.
    Bridgman studies

Loomis figure

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    First of all, one thing I noticed is that you can draw BOOBIES very well!
    Great job on that... You're studies are really paying off, and I think after each study you do you're lines become a little more confident. That banana speedpaint is a success, also. One thing that i think could hurt you in the long run is the lack of creative sketches. You should be doing those as well as studies so you don't end up forgetting all those great ideas that spawn in your head as you watch an episode of your favorite action show. Also, when studying from life, try to make your lines either follow the form or angle towards the direction the light is going. Keep up the dedication.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Odds:Thanks. I know about the drawing from imagination thing, I'll eventually get around to doing that before I'm sucked into a black hole But seriously, I really need to do it more, I haven't posted any of them lately because they suck, but I guess I need to post my bad drawings as well as the good.

Ok, I drew my butt off today (Ok, not really, but it's alot for my lazy ass)
    Bridgman studies

Loomis figs

Shaded block studies, from life

hands

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 1