Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    whatever kind of pencil you like to draw with. I suggest if you have the cash go to a nearby art supplier and pick up a bunch of different kinds. Try leads of different hardness and on different types of paper. It's basically all about what YOU feel comfortable with. But if you want some suggestions, I like using leadholders. Right now I'm using a "KOH-I-NOOR" Technigraph 5611 with a 2H lead. I like the leadholders, but shop around and find something your satisfied with.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I suggest to try many different pencils, then you will find the one you like the most. I personally bought a pilot mechanical pencil 0,5 .......i take it always with me, easy to carry and good to draw with also. At home or at art class i use wooden pencils mostly, i have Lyra or Faber Castell.......2B, 4B, 6B, 9B.
    I hope you find what you are looking for.

FuT-o-RamA
    My sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Mechanicals are nice for very technical lines, but wooden penciles allow you to vary your strokes and use the side fo the lead for thicker lines. I used to use only mechanical pencils, but now I rarely touch them in favor for wooden pencils.

Wooden pencils have more variety than the pencil refills for technicals. 2B, 4B, etc are softer graphite, and the higher the number, the darker the lines it produces. When you get up to 6B and higher, the line quality starts to look more like charcoal.

2H, 4H, etc, are harder graphite, and the higher the number, the lighter the lines. Using a 2H or 4H is good for light layins that are easy to erase and aren't too noticeable in the final drawing.

I've tried many brands, but never found a preference for one over another.

Last Year's Gamers - Fighting relevancy, tooth and nail!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    When I first started studies my instructor insisted on an HB for almost all aspects of the drawing. I experimented with different hardnesses from 2H to 6B. Since, I have came back to the HB and for good reason. It's perfect for the block in being that it leaves a light mark, and it is also sufficient for creating darker tones when rendering. I recommend experimenting, but the HB seemd to have the greatest range. For an all-around utilitarian instument its perfect for drawing and sketching, if your wanting to use pencil.

When deciding between mechanical or wood, I'd say its a total matter of personal preference. Both put graphite onto the paper. Mechanicals are nice because you don't have to sharpen them, but I can sharpen a wood pencil much sharper than any mechanical.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Prismacolor?

What do you think about black Prismacolor pencil?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I typically use a combination of three pencils when I draw:

A ten year old mechanical pencil (it's my *soul pencil* ) with HB lead (.05 mm)

A 15 year old "H" Koh-I-Noor art pencil. I use it *very* lightly, and have never found another as good. I think it's magical, or posessed to have lasted so long

A standard yellow Dixon Ticondergo HB (soft) for the dark stuff and occaisional sketching. I sacrifice many, many of these to the gods of drawing.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I've never used a Black Prismacolor pencil. If its graphite than it will be just as good as any other pencil I would guess. If its carbon, then it's something totally different.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I havenīt use Prismacolor too. But from what I saw on DVDs from Carlos Huante and Neville Page that use it for sketching and rendering I think that it it can be great.
    Itīs wax based pencil.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Oregano
    A ten year old mechanical pencil (it's my *soul pencil* ) with HB lead (.05 mm)
    I have one of those, too! Mine is a black Pentel, .05 HB lead. It's been my constant companion since about 1985.

However, I also find other mechanical pencils work well for other things. Currently, I have three other pencils I use; they have .07, .09 and 1.3 mm leads in them. The bigger the lead, the softer the lead. Or at least that's what I've found.

I also like using wooden pencils, especially 2H to 4H, and anything in the "B" range--those are especially good for preliminary linework...when I'm still deciding what I want the picture to look like.

This rambling may or may not help you out. Click the link in my sig, then go to the "Pencils" page to see what these pencils do for me. You may or may not want that type of result.

Adam

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.