Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Thanks

Create your own Kicks!

You can make ur own shoes at www.nikeid.com
    then pay a shitload to order them. Kinda fun tho- try it.
    Jonathan Nascone
    Digital Artsit
    http://www.digitalgannon.com

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Yay! And now with our newest gimick... create you're very own slave made shoes from Bangladesh. You could be the proud owner of a pair of sneakers that made 2 children starve another day! Weeeeeeee...

(Don't worry digitalgannon not directed at you.)
    Eat, drink, and be merry, for tomorrow we die.

Thanks
    LaPalida: know of any specific shoe retailers/chains/stores that don't support those sort of cruel practices?

and keep in mind, the kids are starving either way... so sure you can not support the system, but that doesn't solve the problem. (Note: I'm not at all advocating human rights abuse)

Thanks
    Not that I know of.

The worst thing is you can boycott Nike...and all the kids will be out of work.
    There are 3 sides to every story. Yours, mine and THE TRUTH.

Thanks
    It's better that they have something than nothing, I started working when I was at the age of 7, sure it wasn't like a slave labor thing, but it did teach me alot about working hard to get what I need or want. If anything I wish Nike would send some workload to Cambodia, the kids wouldn't mind working like crazy to only make less than a dime a day, cause 50 dollars can hire you almost 6 security guards for a month, at least that's what my uncle tells me.
    "If you only heard one side of the story, then you must be deaf in the other ear." - Sok N. Wett

Sok's Sketchbook Thread Last Updated November 25

Thanks
    Well atleast i can get a sneaker I want with any color...and the ones i would get are 80 bucks...not to bad..been spending 50-60 for several years now...
    I don't give a fuck what anybody says this is pretty cool, i just wish Adidas did it also...

Thanks
    While I don't like Nike's business actions, this is a cool concept. They're still ripping off people though... costs them probably 3-4 dollars to create a shoe, and most of their shoes are retailed at around 100... the cost cutting takes place in unethical practices like overworking and underpaying the people that work for them. Sure Sok, it's better than nothing for them, but it's still really shitty how unbalanced the way the money and treatment works out.

Thanks
    It's kinda funny I found this just now. http://www.villagevoice.com/issues/0107/jockbeat.php

Thanks
    interesting link.

nike sucks anyway

Thanks
    My girl bought some from Nike and she is a nurse so she had them custom made so that they would have nurse appropriate colors (whites and light blues) that she couldn't find in a store. She likes them although they were nearly $130 shipped and everything. About what I paid for my New Balance running shoes so no biggy really.

The only problem is that she chose a metallic color before talking to me and being a designer I told her afterwards that you can't reproduce what a metallic color will look like on the internet or from a normal printer. You have to be wary of metallics and pearls.

As for the labor, every thing on this planet you buy is from some other country in which their wages are probably 1/1000 of what we make, it is just a fact of life. Next time you drink your coffee think about the farmer in columbia making $.01 per lb. that you pay $7 for a cup of or the cashmere you buy where the herder in mongolia is making a dollar for something you pay $400 for. Absurd, yes, but it is reality that companies exist to make money, not to be happy goodwill people of the world.

Thanks
    I like the Vans one better:
    Vans custom shoes

-Rob
    My Sketchbook
    Encouragement keeps me swimming , even in the undertow of disappointment.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    As for the labor, every thing on this planet you buy is from some other country in which their wages are probably 1/1000 of what we make, it is just a fact of life.
    Not necessarily true, there are companies that a)don't outsource, or b) do it in an ethical manner. Nike specifically has had a history of unethical treatment of their workers, and have evaded child labor laws.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by lonetsukasa87
    LaPalida: know of any specific shoe retailers/chains/stores that don't support those sort of cruel practices?

and keep in mind, the kids are starving either way... so sure you can not support the system, but that doesn't solve the problem. (Note: I'm not at all advocating human rights abuse)
    http://www.reason8.net/

Safeway Fair Trade - Ask Safeway for Select Fair Trade™ Certified Coffee

Green Gifts for Everyone - The National Green Pages can help you find gifts for everyone on your list!

Magazine PAPER Project Printing magazines on recycled paper can save millions of trees each year.

Green Gifts for Kids - The National Green Pages can help you find safe, fun gifts for kids that are gentle on the earth as well as your kids.

Health and Beauty Gifts - The National Green Pages can help you find gifts to pamper your loved ones and the earth this holiday season.

National Green Pages - a directory of socially and environmentally responsible businesses that offers thousands of products and services. All Co-op America Business Network members have undergone a thorough screening process to ensure they meet Co-op America’s criteria for green business practices..

Steps Toward Greening your Life - Get the most out of your Green Pages directory-- try these tips and start putting your purchases to work creating an economy that’s just and environmentally healthy for all.

Building Communities - The “Building Communities” campaign is working to rebuild low-income communities in the United States and around the world.

Magazine PAPER Project - Printing Alternatives Promoting Environmental Responsibility

Green Businesses - Co-op America’s National Green Pages is an annual directory of thousands of socially and environmentally responsible businesses, services and products...

Social Investment Forum Q&A - What is Socially Responsible Investing? Integrating personal values and societal concerns with investment decisions is called Socially Responsible Investing (SRI)...

Socially Responsible Investing - Socially Responsible Investing: Uses $2.1 trillion in investing power to build healthy communities, promote economic equality and foster a clean environment...

10 Key Opportunities to Shift to Sustainable Consumption and Production Practices

Who We Are and What We Do

Why are there sweatshops? - Sweatshops are not inevitable. They are a symptom of a global economy that allows some people and corporations to exploit others in the pursuit of profits...

Sweatshop Myth Busters - Co-op America’s Guide to Ending Sweatshops provides readers with answers to prevailing myths surrounding sweatshops so they can educate themselves and others about the very real possibility of a sweatshop-free world...

Clothing Guide - Understandably, when we go shopping we usually don’t think about where the clothes and shoes displayed in store windows were made...

Coffee Guide - Millions of Americans drink coffee everyday. However, rarely do we think about how our cup of House Blend or Espresso Roast actually got from the farms to our cup...

Rug Guide - While hand-knotted rugs can add beauty and comfort to a home, there is nothing beautiful or comforting about the production process by which many of these rugs are made...

Sweatshop Resources - Stopping sweatshops and promoting fair trade are enormous and overwhelming tasks. But if you’re feeling disheartened and powerless, don’t be! This list is just a small sampling of groups and businesses from Co-op America’s Guide to Ending Sweatshops...

>so sure you can not support the system, but that doesn't solve the problem.

It may not, but at least it doesn't perpetuate it. You can also look down on people who are sweatshop fashion plates, and that's always fun. They pay a lot of money for their clothes for the name stamped on them. I pay a lot of money for my clothes for the integrity built in them.

Disclosure, about 90% of what I wear is made right here in canada ... and I don't buy it if the label says otherwise.
    Real Men use Metal Type.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neil
    As for the labor, every thing on this planet you buy is from some other country in which their wages are probably 1/1000 of what we make, it is just a fact of life. Next time you drink your coffee think about the farmer in columbia making $.01 per lb. that you pay $7 for a cup of or the cashmere you buy where the herder in mongolia is making a dollar for something you pay $400 for. Absurd, yes, but it is reality that companies exist to make money, not to be happy goodwill people of the world.
    There's ALWAYS a way to pay a fair price for what you get, you don't need a big group of capitalist pigs to steal it and then sell it to you at horrendous profit. It takles a little longer, but there's always a way to pay the right people.

As far as companies existing for the sole purpose of making money, if you want 9/11's to keep happening and don't mind sleeping with one eye open all the time, go ahead, keep thinking exactly that way.
    Real Men use Metal Type.

Thanks
    Too bad all of thier designs suck.

What if people who lived near sweatshops refused to work there? I mean, I'm not reading any articles about sweatshops rounding people up into forced labor prison camps (though I don't doubt that happens on occasion). Point is, if they didn't want to do it, seems like the option is open. Obviously sweatshops are a really bad practice that needs to be rethought and changed. but what if they opened a sweatshop and nobody showed up to work?

That kid being labeled as a "hero" is just really pathetic. Is that what modern day heroes are made of? Sarcasm and Arrogance? I'm sure he really showed those pigs at Nike who was boss.

Quote Originally Posted by the_blur
    As far as companies existing for the sole purpose of making money, if you want 9/11's to keep happening and don't mind sleeping with one eye open all the time, go ahead, keep thinking exactly that way.
    This is exactly the same scare tactic our government is using, only in reverse.

Thanks
    Hmmm I would say buy things "made in USA" if you're American and things "made in Canada" if you're Canadian etc. Support your own economy. Businesses that are concerned so much with making money at the expense of morality and it's own people are really stealing money from you and your country. If all the businesses are outsourced to overseas 3rd world contries then what does that leave us with? More unemployment. And it's not like children just walk in and apply for a job. Some of them are forced to work, they don't have a choice. They are abused and underpaid. Childhood is the time for play not work. They are people too you know with the same rights as us. Nike has to adhere to labour laws in it's own country but doesn't in other, how does that work? So sure the lack of human rights in other countries isn't the fault of Nike but they are the ones that make pacts with the devil.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by the_blur
    There's ALWAYS a way to pay a fair price for what you get, you don't need a big group of capitalist pigs to steal it and then sell it to you at horrendous profit. It takles a little longer, but there's always a way to pay the right people.

It has nothing to do with what I think, it has to do with the reality of how companies exist. If Nike really didn't care about profit they wouldn't be overseas at all, they would be here paying workers 1000x the salary or they would be paying the workers overseas the same amount they are paying workers here and this applies to every single company that has moved overseas. They have hardworking labor for a cheap cost or in cases like India highly skilled labor for a cheap cost with a higher profit margin and they are exept from many of the taxes here.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by jetpack42
    Too bad all of thier designs suck.
    WHo said anything about designs? I wear black. If I'm not wearing black, I wear tshirt and jeans. My suits are also made in canada.
    Real Men use Metal Type.

Thanks
    I agree, supporting your own economy is the best way to go. The people in the sweatshops have some accountability for themselves. Furthermore, doesn't the cambodian (or whoever) government have something to say about sweatshops? Or is Nike flying under the radar on this one? Couldn't the governments tell Nike to get the hell out? Or is Nike more powerful then governments? I'm sorry, its one thing when our government abuses is power, but I really don't think our corporations abusing other countries could go on if they decided to not let us.

We should do the best we can to buy Made in Own Country goods, or Made Ethically goods, but I'm not buying a crappy (or crappy looking) product thats washed in bleeding hearts just because it's local.

Thanks
    We should do the best we can to buy Made in Own Country goods, or Made Ethically goods, but I'm not buying a crappy (or crappy looking) product thats washed in bleeding hearts just because it's local.
    Clothes etc are designed here and they are put together in some other country because it's cheaper (due to cheap labour, lack of human rights in other countries). No one's forcing you to buy a crappy product (in fact most badly made products are made overseas because of cheap labour and people that make them don't care about it). Don't think that things made overseas are somehow good quality ... they're not.

What if people who lived near sweatshops refused to work there? I mean, I'm not reading any articles about sweatshops rounding people up into forced labor prison camps (though I don't doubt that happens on occasion). Point is, if they didn't want to do it, seems like the option is open. Obviously sweatshops are a really bad practice that needs to be rethought and changed. but what if they opened a sweatshop and nobody showed up to work?
    Well if you're the only show in town I'm afraid that people have very little choice. There is no competition. There are no unions. People can't just up and go. There are no rights... if you are thought to be the one starting a revolution you will be made an example of. People are living under fear. The government (whichever one it is) doesn't persecute people for abuse. They don't care. It really is like dealing with the Devil. They (Nike) are abusing an already rotten system.

In other news if you're considering on using the nike id thing here are a few pointers from http://slashdot.org/articles/01/02/16/1746256.shtml:

by Bender Unit 22

also "Sun" is a no go.
    "Win98" is ok, but don't get your hopes too high of getting your name on the shoe if your first name given at birth was "Dick".
    You "Compaq" lovers will have to call your shoe "Dell" instead.
    You can't wear "Prince" shoes, but "Princess" is fine.
    There is no "Napster" shoes for you my friend, but you can go jogging in your "Gnutella" shoes.

The only question remains, what am I going to do with those Princess shoes,,,, :-)

by jerrytcow

They also blocked SWETSHOP, SW3TSH0P, NIKESUX (but not other companies - I tried IBMSUX and it went through). Apparently criticizing about their use of child labor hits a little too close to home, they're turning down a sale just so all 3 people who might read the back of your shoe don't see nike and sweatshop together.
    Last edited by LaPalida; December 14th, 2004 at 04:46 PM.

Thanks
    All so they can pay tiger woods another 250,000 dollars a hole.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by LaPalida
    Clothes etc are designed here and they are put together in some other country because it's cheaper (due to cheap labour, lack of human rights in other countries). No one's forcing you to buy a crappy product (in fact most badly made products are made overseas because of cheap labour and people that make them don't care about it). Don't think that things made overseas are somehow good quality ... they're not.
    This is a really clever attempt at skewing what I said, maybe you should read it again. I said I try and buy homemade products when I can, but I want a quality product when I buy it. I've worn many a shoe that was made overseas, and of good qualitiy. don't assume that since it's made in a sweatshop it sucks. These people ARE doing it all day long, I think they know what they're doing.

Quote Originally Posted by LaPalida

Well if you're the only show in town I'm afraid that people have very little choice. There is no competition. There are no unions. People can't just up and go. There are no rights... if you are thought to be the one starting a revolution you will be made an example of. People are living under fear. The government (whichever one it is) doesn't persecute people for abuse. They don't care. It really is like dealing with the Devil. They are abusing an already rotten system.

wah wah wah. Last time I checked, I wasn't the Lord Protector of (insert country with sweatshop). In fact, I'm not responsible at all for them, their rights, their humanity, or their quality of living. You know who is though, their government or...themselves! If they don't like it, they should do something about it, not just show up to work. I'm really sick of all this hippyism bullshit about nobody being responsible for themselves. If it was such a horrible thing for the people, why doesn't the countries government step in? Seems like after the people, the government is the one at fault. Look, I never said making the right choice was easy, or nice. The right choice is hard to make all the time, but unless these people or thier government stand up for themselves, they're gonna get walked on. Ever wonder why they just don't pay people 50 cents a day to work here in the US? (besides it being illegal) Cause nobody would show up for work.

The thing that pisses me off about this money mentality is the outsourcing of jobs, done by Nike, Disney, and others.

If I have the choice, I'd obviously choose something made in the US, but until I get a viable choice, I'm not buying crap shoes to make a point.

Thanks
    Why did this thread turn into this discussion...

It was sbout having fun creating a sneaker you would want to wear...

Thanks
    wah wah wah. Last time I checked, I wasn't the Lord Protector of (insert country with sweatshop). In fact, I'm not responsible at all for them, their rights, their humanity, or their quality of living.
    Yes you are, America is the world's police force, remember? Delivering Justice, Democracy and Good Will to all.

All humour aside, your purchasing of commodities from companies that impinge on human rights MAKES YOU RESPONSIBLE. You are DIRECTLY supporting this company by buying their goods. You are clearly aware of the methods they use to manufacture them. You might as well go to the sweatshop and throw pennies at the workers.

You know who is though, their government or...themselves!
    I hate to break it to you, but governments are actually capable of being corrupt! wow! believe it or not, but the peoples best interest may not actually be a factor to the government of [insert country with sweatshop].

If they don't like it, they should do something about it, not just show up to work.
    Yeah, cause I'm sure they all have a choice in the matter. If there was a shop down the road offering the same job for a real wage, you really think they'd stay?

I'm really sick of all this hippyism bullshit about nobody being responsible for themselves.
    I agree. Personal responsibility lies in the hands of the person. But they don't work at the sweatshops by choice. They HAVE to. Either they are forced into it in a physcial sense, or they forced into it to be able to buy food for themsleves/their family. Even if it's not specifically one those reasons, they don't have a choice. You can only be personally responsible when you have a choice. That's the way it works.

If it was such a horrible thing for the people, why doesn't the countries government step in?
    Because the government a) doesn't care or b) is making money off the operation.

Seems like after the people, the government is the one at fault. Look, I never said making the right choice was easy, or nice. The right choice is hard to make all the time, but unless these people or thier government stand up for themselves, they're gonna get walked on.
    Right, like all the Americans who hate Bush and disagree with the "War on Terror" and are allowing their civil rights to slowly be taken away. They're really standing up for themselves, why you see it on the news every day.

Or what about the children in Brazil and other South American countries. You know, the ones getting killed every day by the government, or by drug dealers or [insert paramilitary group here]. What they need to do is stand up for themselves, that'll make the problem go away.

Ever wonder why they just don't pay people 50 cents a day to work here in the US? (besides it being illegal) Cause nobody would show up for work.
    Sure, mate, there are no sweatshops in the US. Whatever you say.

The thing that pisses me off about this money mentality is the outsourcing of jobs, done by Nike, Disney, and others.
    While it is bad for your economy, etc etc, what pisses me off is your lack of compassion and your arrogance.

If I have the choice, I'd obviously choose something made in the US, but until I get a viable choice, I'm not buying crap shoes to make a point.
    "The quality of my shoes is more important than the quality of your life"
    ...so what if i'm bored, and ordinary?...

currently playing: Super Mario 64 DS, ICO (grrrr....)

Thanks
    boring use of sarcasm aside...

Quote Originally Posted by nil
    Yes you are, America is the world's police force, remember? Delivering Justice, Democracy and Good Will to all.

All humour aside, your purchasing of commodities from companies that impinge on human rights MAKES YOU RESPONSIBLE. You are DIRECTLY supporting this company by buying their goods. You are clearly aware of the methods they use to manufacture them. You might as well go to the sweatshop and throw pennies at the workers.
    Just like everyone who buys drugs is responsible for funding terrorism? HAh. Unfortunately I don't have the available resources or time to make my own shoes, so I'm stuck buying.

I hate to break it to you, but governments are actually capable of being corrupt! wow! believe it or not, but the peoples best interest may not actually be a factor to the government of [insert country with sweatshop].
    Explain to me the part where I'm responsible for corrupt foreign governments? I missed it.

Yeah, cause I'm sure they all have a choice in the matter. If there was a shop down the road offering the same job for a real wage, you really think they'd stay?

I agree. Personal responsibility lies in the hands of the person. But they don't work at the sweatshops by choice. They HAVE to. Either they are forced into it in a physcial sense, or they forced into it to be able to buy food for themsleves/their family. Even if it's not specifically one those reasons, they don't have a choice. You can only be personally responsible when you have a choice. That's the way it works.
    So what you're saying is, they can choose to do something else, or they can choose to go work in a sweatshop. If they are being forced (ie:physically forced (ie:slavery)) then that's obviously wrong and I'll be the first one in line to decry that. If Nike just comes into town and sets up shop, and they show up to work 15 hours a day for 50 cents...it's thier own doing. Nobody is forcing the bums around here to work...thats why some of them are bums. It might be more difficult to go do something else to make ends meet, but if (insert country)'s are willing to settle then it must not be that bad. History tells us time and time again of people who changed thier own lives, made things better for themselves, did things the harder way and got results.

Because the government a) doesn't care or b) is making money off the operation.
    then its the people's responsibility to change thier government. it doesn't happen overnight.

Right, like all the Americans who hate Bush and disagree with the "War on Terror" and are allowing their civil rights to slowly be taken away. They're really standing up for themselves, why you see it on the news every day.

Or what about the children in Brazil and other South American countries. You know, the ones getting killed every day by the government, or by drug dealers or [insert paramilitary group here]. What they need to do is stand up for themselves, that'll make the problem go away.
    Please show me a historical example of a problem that a group of people decided they were "victims" and just accepted their fate, only to have the problem magically get solved. I can't think of a single one.

Sure, mate, there are no sweatshops in the US. Whatever you say.
    seriously, I'd like to see a place where legitimate americans are making 50 cents a day. show me if you aren't full of crap.

"The quality of my shoes is more important than the quality of your life"
    LOL Seriously dude. Unless you walk around barefoot I don't want to hear it. If you boil everything I say down to its core, I am making that choice, but who isnt? We all make the choices we can.

Anybody shopping at Wal-mart is fucking over american business. Anybody buying anything Disney is supporting outsourcing art. I'm not any better or worse then those people, I pick my battles where I can, and in the grand scheme of things, if (insert country) or (insert people) doesn't care about sweatshops, why should I? Oops, I guess that makes me arrogant and selfish. In reality, it's alot easier to call me an asshole then it is for you to go buy shoes that aren't made in a sweatshop. And it's alot easier for me to say that people should do something about it then it is for them to do it. But if they aren't going to initiate thier own change, it won't happen anyway.

I'm sure you're supporting all sorts of unethical companies on a daily basis and you don't even know it, so am I. But like I said, I do what I can when I can. Nobody's perfect, so I don't mind you casting the first stone from your imaginary moral high ground.

sorry for hijacking. im done.
    Last edited by jetpack42; December 14th, 2004 at 07:58 PM.

Thanks
    While we're on this topic.....stop buying Levi's

They pulled out of North American manufacturing this year closing down 2 plants in the US and 3 in Canada to move their production line to China (closer to Hong Kong, one of the fashion meccas of Asia). So far it's cheaper labour but no drop in the prices of their clothing line.

Thanks
    Heh, any time you put LaPlida and Jetpack in the same thread together it's destined to be a rollercoaster ride..
    Those two should just have sex already and get it over with.

Hehehehe. I kid, I kid.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Groover McNab
    Those two should just have sex already and get it over with.

Hehehehe. I kid, I kid.

I fell off my chair on Groover's post.

Thanks
    If they are being forced (ie:physically forced (ie:slavery)) then that's obviously wrong and I'll be the first one in line to decry that. If Nike just comes into town and sets up shop, and they show up to work 15 hours a day for 50 cents...it's thier own doing.
    I can't believe that you can be so naive. There are different types of coersion. You don't always have to have an axe over someones head to make them do things. You make it sound as if the people that work 15 hour shifts actually have a choice in deciding their hours.

seriously, I'd like to see a place where legitimate americans are making 50 cents a day. show me if you aren't full of crap.
    Very funny. How about illegitimate Americans. I guess they don't have basic human rights because they aren't American then.

If it was such a horrible thing for the people, why doesn't the countries government step in? Seems like after the people, the government is the one at fault.
    Because the goverment is the source of the problem? Hello? Or are you really that naive? Some countries don't even have one. It's despotism through warlords.

Look, I never said making the right choice was easy, or nice. The right choice is hard to make all the time, but unless these people or their government stand up for themselves, they're gonna get walked on.
    You're right domestic issues have to be solved from the inside and the choice is hard (ie. Tiananmen Square Massacre ) but hey let's make it even harder by supporting the corrupt regimes by exploiting their situatuion! Yay! and we can even make a buck out of it too!

I think you are very cruel and heartless towards those people.
    Last edited by LaPalida; December 14th, 2004 at 10:08 PM.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by darth massacre
    While we're on this topic.....stop buying Levi's

They pulled out of North American manufacturing this year closing down 2 plants in the US and 3 in Canada to move their production line to China (closer to Hong Kong, one of the fashion meccas of Asia). So far it's cheaper labour but no drop in the prices of their clothing line.

read this

http://www.fastcompany.com/magazine/77/walmart.html

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast