Sketchbook: Old book... find the new one in my sig - Page 10
Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Thread: Old book... find the new one in my sig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the reply in my sketchbook,

Great Sketchbook you have, Your enviroment drawings are A+

Your anatomy studies are also great, its good you are drawing the muscles

It will help you understand anatomy much more, Its good to see you want

to enter an art college (Im in the same situation as you are)

Make sure to keep posting, Ill be checking back

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Woooow! I saw your beginning sketches... I know pretty much everyone is commenting on how you've progressed, but can't help adding one more: hats off to ya! especially since you started out anime and you were able to shake that style in order to learn more. Your columns are wonderful and well-shaded, and the perspective is really fun!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Whoa, Ian, it has been a while since I have checked out your thread! You've improved amazingly and I can tell you have been working very hard. That column environment particularly stands out, very nice work. You seem to be getting a good grasp on perspective. Great job and keep it up

"You cannot, in today's world, judge a book by its contents" -Jon Stewart
    sketches
    website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Prehistoric: Thank you so much! I'm trying to get it to look like a pre-rain environment... kinda stormy and dark but still enough visible light. Thanks for checking it out!

corky13: Thanks, Corky! I wish I could take life drawing classes, but the only ones here are 18+, and I'm only 17! I'll be 17 when I start college I think, haha... Thanks again.

Alvarez: Glad you think the environments are worth an A+!! These 2 are the first ones I've ever done... I'm extremely happy with the results and praise from everyone! Thanks for stopping in.

Sapphire: Having so many people notice progress and improvement is what keeps me going! I've had so much positive feedback from everyone that it's overwhelming! I love it! I'm glad I got off the anime too, not my style, yeck! Thanks for the awesome words of encouragement and for stopping by!

Keepiru: Thanks a lot, Keepiru! I'll be sure to check out your sketches later today since I haven't in a a while! Thanks for the nice words and I will always keep it up!

And now... the completed Environment 2!!!

That's all I got done tonight... busy busy busy. More to come tomorrow. Gotta start on my timed speed drawings of figures and the last environment. So exciting!!

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    im diggin those last 2 environment sketches. cool beans u get for that.

cool beans to you...my friend.
    sKeTcHbOoK update page3 (scroll to the bottom of page)

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ian,
    Looked through your entire sketchbook and I'm seeing tons of improvement.
    Keep going!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ian,

It´s been a while since I dont come to your thead, you really are improving man... those perspectives are very well done....

Keep on the good work...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    dadamafia: Glad you like 'em! Thanks for dropping in, man!

buzzz3d: Thanks for looking through the whole thing! That means a ton to me! Thanks for the kind words! I'll for sure keep it up!

Arcthurus: Why thank you! Glad you came back to see the updates! Glad you like them. I'll keep posting some more.

Too much stuff on my mind tonight, dunno if I'll draw or not tonight.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey Ian. This is a nice progression and you're making great progress. Here's another great book to check out: "Drawing on the Right Side of the Brain".

It is also filled with exercises, but above all it teaches you how to really "look" at what you are drawing. What is the angle, what is the negative space, etc. Your drawing from reference or life will dramatically improve because you'll truly be seeing what you are drawing, and that means seeing the shape, not necessarily the object itself.

An example is turning your reference upside down and drawing it that way. This helps turn off the left brain which is saying "This is what an eye or head shape looks like", and instead uses the right brain which says "THis is what the shape and form that I'm actually looking at looks like". You'll be amazed at the difference it will make.

Good luck!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hi Ian.
    I looked at your pages.....you are makeing good progress!
    Keep it up man!

-Heri

Zero to Sixty in 4.6 drawings!
    Sketchbook
    Website

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    good progress.

make sure you look at some loomis books over at www.fineart.sk, they are free.

N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Yo Ian!

Just dropping by to check out your book! Your environment is turning out to look very nice! I should start studying perspective... SO MANY THINGS TO STUDY oh man. Your Bridgman studies look excellent, looks like you're definitely learning a lot from his books. I only have one of his books and I plan to get the others that Mentler suggested. I think Bridgman is a very good teacher for beginners.

Oh, also I know how scanners can be! I have to use the one in my school's library. Eventually I'll shell out the ~$50 for a low-end one that I can keep in my room. Can't wait to see more updates my friend! Keep on drawing! You are making mad progress!$#!

Later!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey there.

that last piece is coming along quit well. neat perspective. one thing you might want to do to the lamp is add some thickness in some way, even though it is from the bottom up view it seems to be flat. Just something to think about.

for the figure drawing, what is your reference? I think you would benefit from grabbing a friend and draw them from life if you have no access to a model. Reviewers can always tell if it is from life or photo!!! hehe

good luck with the rest of your portfolios.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wschwisow: Thanks for the book suggestion! I've actually looked for it and found the same book title for drawing by about 6 different authors... could you specify an author? Glad you see progress and I'm happy to hear you suggesting things to help me improve! Means a lot and thanks for checking out the old sketchbook!

heri: Thank you! The visible progress people see keeps me goin'! Glad you checked out the sketchbook!

one2hit: Hey, man! Thanks for coming back. I'd really like to but it would take hours just to look at a handfull of pages since I can only get dial-up where I live. I might just go out and buy some of his books if I can get my hands on them. Thanks for dropping in again!

Nealo: Thanks for checking back! I just finished looking at your thread, actaully! Bridgman's a great source to learn from, I think. He's really complex yet things are simplified and understandable even to the beginner (ie me)! Mr. Mentler is also an excellent resource, great advice from him to check out some Bridgman book. I'd start with the Constructive Anatomy, that's what he recommended for me. Glad you like the environment! Hopefully I'll have the 3rd one done soon... well, started rather than done, haha. More updates coming soon, sir! Thanks for keeping up with me.

endregan: Thanks for looking at my sketches! I think I'll detail the lower part of the pole more and fade it out the taller it gets, becuase I agree, it does look a little flat and boring, especially since it's in the center. As for friends posing, none of them have the time to do it, and if they did, I doubt they could stay still for more than 3 minutes hahaha. The reviewers don't mind if it's from life or reference, but I want and need to work from life more often. I referenced a figure in Icey's sketchbook. Thanks for the good luck wish!

Here are today's drawings.

This one is referenced from Icey again, haha. Thanks, Icey! For some reason I feel it needs to have more neck showing, so I'll do just that tomorrow! This was a quick sketch, around 10 minutes. I think I might redo the entire thing since I don't like the outlines I put everywhere... blaah. Also think the right knee if too thin at the back of the joint... Little things with big consequences haha. Enough talk and memos, here it is:

And here's the first page of my new sketchbook. It's actually earthtoned... but this old scanner makes it look somewhat white, meh. It's got a little bit of everything in it. Quite happy with it so far. I'm surprised at how much I learned from doing Mr. Mentler's Weenie exercise with the little figures... it really makes you concentrate on proportions and movement, pretty hard stuff! Also included is a Megalodon, but on paper it could be a great white... but it's a Megalodon and you freakin' know it. A first version of the above figure, and also something random I did next to it:

Did some more figures today, about 10 minutes each I think... finally got the scanner to work with the toned paper! Woo! Here it is:

On the guy in the middle, the reference (from Icey as usual along with the others) didn't have a head showing so I decided to add one. Not too sure if it's right, but it doesn't feel off... correct me if I'm wrong!

Here are those revisions and touch-ups to the figure I did a few days ago. Saw some people putting little parallel lines around an image to show movement I guess, so I gave it a shot:

Still haven't decided on an environment to work on... did some original ones and nothing was really storming with creativity... if any of you guys have any good references or ideas for a landscape or environment, please feel free to let me know! Oh, also I'm looking for some good advice on still life drawings... like objects, lighting, whatever you guys can think of since it'll be my first time trying one maybe tomorrow... Anyway, as usual critique as much as you want and if you have any suggestions or ideas let me know, I love to hear them!

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice figures and environments! Good improvement! Draw, draw!

/Daniel

Sketchbook

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Morbid: Thanks, man!

Found a white prisma color today... boy did I have fun!

The legs propped up on the right were from my imagination if you were looking at the right side of the female figure on the left. Added the arm thing near the top, too.

Started working on this figure today... finish it later, time for sleep is now!

I feel as if the breasts are totally wrong... they looked right the first time but I just had to re-do them...

More to come, and as always, feel free to do or say whatever yall want!

Last edited by IanE; March 3rd, 2005 at 01:52 AM.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Red face

Haha, well, I started writing this reply before I knew that there was a second page......let alone a 5th. O_o Anyway, what I'm about to say is kind of redundant because of that, but oh well, I'll say it anyway, because I can't resist opening my mouth and having a little prattle.

I noticed that the first few pictures you posted (the anime girl pics) in your thread were copies from the tutorial images on polykarbon (or that other manga site- the tuts are the same). Try not to copy from tutorial images- they're not there for copying (or heavily referencing, in most cases), they're there to serve as a diagram or example of what the text is talking about. The best way to learn is to read the text, look at the diagrams, then try to understand what the tutorial is explaining. If you copy, as soon as you try to deviate from the lines you've learnt, things will look a little funky.

But anyway, I see that you've progressed a bunch from that- well done. You're improving quickly. Keep up the good work! You'll be fantastic in no time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    youve improved alot, which is evident by you posts. great stuff, keep working

BUNNIES!!< Forget the bombs in your eyes!> BUNNIES!!

"Dane is such a table switching , he's gonna get some weird STD... "Ya a Stupid Table Disease", timing is everything!

http://mengde.deviantart.com/gallery/ Go here why donchya!!

my sketchbook:

http://www.conceptart.org/forums/showthread.php?t=36643

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    *puts on space helmet*
    I feel really sexy in this...

Your prepective is looking real nice, need to make things in the pictures more solid tho, hard to do i know woo.
    I'm gunna draw, been inspired by this song http://www.big-boys.com/articles/everyonesex.html hehe great.

Keep it on!

Crit for a crit!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Heyho Ian
    Last one looks like her breasts growing out of her throat but the other studies are very nice...the forms are gettin better and better. Learning pays off sometimes doesn`t it ? Hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Ilaekae
    "Art is the physical result of your soul battling with your intellect to the death...with a sharp pencil..."
    THE AUSTRIAN SKETCHLORDS
    Baron Carnifex
    Duke Corky

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    hey man good last studies. Playing with neutral sometimes can really help people study the light and darks more carefully whereas normal paper can push someone one way or the other.

Keep up the studies!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, cool update. Go to www.flashget.com and download that program. When you've installed it, go to Jobs, batch download (in the program) take the address of the first loomis page (in any one of those books) and then put (*) in the address where the numbered pages are, then tell it like "from page 0001 to 0348" something like that, the box after that is set to "2", you set that number to how every many digits are in the filename (example /loomis/successfuldrawing/0234.jpg that's 4 digits) flasget will download all the .jpgs for you and stuff them in an organized folder as quick as possible. You can get all the loomis books reaaal fast this way, and you don't have to be online to view them ever again

I like the white pencil, don't use it too liberally though, learn to be selective with it. here's a cool example:
    http://www.artrenewal.org/articles/2..._Portfolio.jpg (copy and paste this to see)

Last edited by one2hit; March 3rd, 2005 at 05:56 PM.
    N & B

~Sketches

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    BellaD: Thanks for dropping by! Yea, I didn't expect 5 pages this soon so don't worry about it, haha. I'm sooo glad I got away from the anime after a few days with it... couldn't stand it! Thanks for the kind words and for checking out some of the sketches! I'd love for you to run through the whole thing if you ever decide to and maybe throw down some C&C! Thanks for stopping by.

mengde: Thanks a lot man! Really like to hear people seeing improvements!

Soul:Child: Thanks for stopping by! Is that a viking helmet? Cus you ain't sexy unless you're rocking the Thor look... I'll work on solidifying my work, things doo look too soft to me as well... must do texture studies!

corky13: Heyho to you, sir! Be thankful that real breasts grow on the chest instead of hanging from the jaw! MY ART WILL MAKE YOU APPRECIATE LIFE! Sorry, been watching Saw... Thank you so much for the kind words and for keeping up with my sketches and progress!

endregan: Glad you liked the studies! Good to see you checking back often, means a lot! I got so much more out of these last studies than I have with a weeks full! The toned paper, gray, and white all seem to help form the image so much better! Thanks for dropping in.

one2hit: Hey, man! Thanks so much for the program suggestion! I'm downloading it right now! I'll for sure get to study Loomis so much more now, thanks! Yea, the white is cool, I kinda wanted to go nuts with it last night and decorate my figures like a cake and just slap icing everywhere, haha. I'll be more careful with it as I learn how to understand it more! That example you posted is freakin awesome! I hope to be able to do that kind of rendering within a few months. Thanks for the suggestions and for stopping by!

Weee! This is sooo fun! Must learn to control white prisma color...

More to come, currently in search of an environment to work on!

www.enmls.com

vigostar is offline Registered User Level 16 Gladiator: Spartacus' Retiarii
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey, Ian,.. these are looking good.. Much improvement has been made... I really like the fast few.. Especially the ones on the natural colored paper... Keep on working dude

Mainloop- man i must be dyslexic.. cuz i thought you asked how many people are on lsd

SketchBook
    http://www.conceptart.org/forums/sho...d.php?t=237554

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    GREAT image, I love this one (for obvious reasons, the littel army, heheh)

Link

Awesoe little figures. Now do about 20 more pages of those, hahah. Nice figure studies too, still got some wonky areas but your learning the planes, keep pluggin away! Draw daily!

feeeeeeeesh

feeeeeeeeeeeeeeeesh
    -----------------------------------------
    ART - MUSIC - BLOG - YouTube - IMDb - SKETCHBOOK

My old Sketch Thread

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    God dammit, I'v been gone, for what?! Like a week or two??! Your scarying the crap out of me, great improvment dude!
    The last figure drawing was beautiful. I also like experimenting with the white colour, although I don't have that kind of paper you got. Imposible to find in my part of the world. :/

Keep on rocking!

T

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    vigostar: Thanks for dropping by! I'll for sure keep workin'!

feeesh: Wonky, that's awesome..haha! I'll keep training and developing my army! Nice hat.

Tigermilk: BEST POST EVER! I think the really good ones are the ones when people get mad at me for improving haha! Thanks so much for the kind words on the last one. Still needs a lot of work but I think it's pretty good, definitely my best so far! Thanks for keeping up with me!

Here's the last environment. Referenced Reilly Brown's original for this one, thanks to him.

Got some still lifes lined up! Post more later, time to relax.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

awsome dude

hey man,

man,, this is so cool, the last environment, sanjorge is just awsome. And the last figure u did, specialy the female one, is AWSOME.
    Great improvements man.

Keep it up. Shoot, its great.

AMir,

¤Sketch FACTORY¤

THe Cookie Factory StuDio
    Ryn
    --
    Project SOle.ca
    ¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤¤ ¤

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    c00l thing .. like that hatching

take care of that paralell lines .. they keep ur perspective

the birds looking cool .. hahaaa

keep up !

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude. Good to see your really putting in alot of effort into your studies. I think I need to steal some off of you.

Your figure drawings are improving but your enviros seem to stand out even more. Keep it up

Phillip. Designer, web developer and artist.
    Check out my website.

Page 10 of 21 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 ... LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 3