Sketchbook: Nomen's Sketchbook

Join 500,000+ artists on ConceptArt.Org.

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Thanks

Nomen's Sketchbook

Hello there!

I have come to these great forums to sharpen my skills in art. I hope to do so by posting what I've done, exchanging comments, participating in lessons or tutorials. I find the idea of the sketchbook and daily drawings (other thread) a real motivation for me to practice daily-which is equal to sharpening skills very fast.
    I've been drawing since I was a child, but my serious education began August this year when I got mr. Loomis's books and a couple others (I find mr Andrew's books the best of the set, thus noteworthy) and the man simply inspired me to sharpen my skills in art. I want to do so and maybe one day I could make a living out of my little hobby
    Here are some of my drawings I scanned. Their age ranges from quite old (August) to new ones (December). I arranged them in a chronologic way-from oldest to newest, thus visualising my progress in a better way.
    Last-I'll try to post at least one drawing daily here.
    Now let the images speak for themselves

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks

Witam !

Hello,

You've got huge amounts of work to do. Are you still around or you gave up? First crit would be - draw on clean pages - no lines etc. Post some more recent stuff for real crits.

Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    ------------------------------------------------------
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Cheers and thanks for Your comments.

What do You mean "give up"? I never give up. Not only life occupies a lot of time, lately I've been learning pixel-art Tough I try to draw at least daily.

"huge amounts of work"-be precise please?

"recent stuff"-here You are

Thanks
    It looks like your are off to a good start, and you hav the drive to keep going. That's great.

I am not sure if you have already, but see if you can get a copy of the loomis figure drawing book, and the head and hands one. Their are links to pdfs somewhere on CA. Plus, here is a tip that someone gave me a little while ago and have found very useful. Download the Glen Vilpu studies in order, starting with the gesture drawing one. Then pick yourself up a couple comic books and do gestures out of their. They are great, because the poses are so exxagerated and very dynamic. I found a book of marvel previews for $1.50. I started doing some last night, and within like 10 minutes their was a noticeable difference. They really help.

As far as critiquing your stuff right now, I am not the person to do it. I am still just a newb myself, so I am telling you things that other people have told me.

Keep drawing and keep posting.

Sanby

Thanks

work work WORK !!!

Lets face it - you're green now all you have now is hopefully - determination and aspirations to become an artist. And all you can do is to put huge amount of work into it You need to work on perspective first. You need to gain more control of your lines and your hand. Than you can think about shading, value etc. Than comes everything else - anatomy, colors etc.

Recent stuff needs to be more visible Can't really crit something I can't see

If your scanner is lousy - try adjusting the pic before posting it. Increase the contrast some more to make the drawing on screen look like the one on the paper. Also resize them a bit - they don't need to be so big. Also crop only the parts of the paper actually containing drawings Example - drawing of the robot in the corner, a head next to it and then whole blank page that is not needed but makes the piece load twice that long - someone who has 56k modem won't wait for it to load, so he won't see it, he won't comment and you won't learn

Sketchbook
    Sketch(up)book
    Blog
    Twitter
    TEAM CHOW - Nasty Sausages
    CURRENTLY LISTENING TO:
    The Ocean Collective

Thanks
    Hi!

I'm new to drawing as well, and the Loomis books are a huge help, you should check them out. These are pretty good doodles and such, but the graph paper needs to go. Keep working on your proportions and having good, clean lines. You and I are in the same boat, all we can do is draw as much as possible, study our pieces, and learn from them.

Best of luck.

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Thanks mates. I have Loomis books and studied basics now. Now I'm getting into more serious stuff. Cheers

Thanks
    Never think that your beyond the basics. They are the most important part. Keep studying those basics. Just ask the pros around here, and they'll tell you how important the basics are.

Sanby

Thanks
    agreed...i'm 23 years old, been drawing since before i could walk and i'm still learning the basics. i'd be wary of drawing from comic books though. it's taken me years to get away from the bad habits i learned from comics and there are still alot more to kick.

keep goin' man. i'm not sure how old you are, but you are definitely on the right track. just keep pounding out the drawings like you have been. i really like that you are coming up with stories for the characters and settings as you draw and have put them all into a sort of "scrapbook" of ideas.

keep going. try to post something new and different each day, it will help you to stay focused and it will keep your brain thinking about it all the time, that way, when you sit down to draw, all you have to do is let your hand do it's thing.

it looks like you had a lot of fun with these. keep it up.

My Sketchbook

check out the website:

ten30one studios

Thanks
    When I said draw from comic books, I didn't really mean, draw the characters. I meant, use the characters to do gestures because their movement is so exxagerated. But, that's just what works for me, you have to find what works for you.

Sanby

Thanks
    Clocktower-I'm 17 if that changes anything. I know what You mean. Some comics really badly influence. And thanks for kind words. Cheers

Sanby-thx for advices and cheers

Some new drawings:
    nothing really interesting (aside from some concept-doodles for a game project). Thirdeye said my perspective needs work and it's true. Altough I know the basics I'm learning very interesting things, however, for some, like scaling I fail to see their use, but I'm learning because I think it will be useful
    Also I've found a big problem in my drawings of not clearly understanding difference between construction lines and contour

Thanks
    CG this time. Studied more on color, shadows and such.

Concept-art for a Prison level for my game:

And old sketch of the Governor made into a painting today.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.