Art: The Walking City

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop
    On an attack ship on fire, off the shoulder of Orion....
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

The Walking City

The Walking City

Done in 3DSM6 for a background class. In the future, I may add some more debris to the desert, but this is the version I'll be submitting. I plan to use it in an animation soon. C&C appreciated, thank you!

"Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don’t let them take you ALIVE"

-Sid Vicious
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Echo...echo..echo...

"Undermine their pompous authority, reject their moral standards, make anarchy and disorder your trademarks. Cause as much chaos and disruption as possible but don’t let them take you ALIVE"

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it doesnt look like its very comfortable to live there.
    looks good!
    maybe you should add something that makes the disc thing with the city stay in one place all the time.
    like some hydro gears or whatever its called!
    or does it move really really slow?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what do u do in background class? make backgrounds?

I really love the conept, and the dustiness is nicely done. but, IMHO, the textures still look a little plain. Especially if you look at the city, it's kinda just a black sitting on top.

BTW, I mentioned this in the other thread, about making it at night so you could see all the lights of the city, I think that would be sweet still, you should experiment with this a bit more, even if you don't submit it.

Sanby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    what do u do in background class? make backgrounds?
    No fooling you!

I really love the conept, and the dustiness is nicely done. but, IMHO, the textures still look a little plain. Especially if you look at the city, it's kinda just a black sitting on top.
    Hmm, well I guess there's always room for improvement. I was going for a rusty hull with just a few patches of an ancient paint job, chipping away. The paint job is red on black, like those giant tankers you might see. I am planning on using this is an animated short, so I suppose I could do some more texture work, what do you suggest I add?

BTW, I mentioned this in the other thread, about making it at night so you could see all the lights of the city, I think that would be sweet still, you should experiment with this a bit more, even if you don't submit it.p
    That may look cool, deserts look awesome in strong moonlight.

Thanks for the reply, anyone else?

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    very cool concept

>>>MORGAN DESIGNS>
    www.mikemorgandesigns.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I would add more detail to the city but leave the walker part alone. It seems perfect to me. Maybe a little plain, but since it's the desert I think it works. No useless dangly things that just add flair to it, you know? In desert, sensibility reigns.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    If this is for a background, then all they are going to look at is thedesert part aren't they?

Sanby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Sanby
    If this is for a background, then all they are going to look at is thedesert part aren't they?

Sanby

Well, it's called Background design and layout, but what you are really doing is making environments. Pretty much anything in the scene that isn't a character is considered background.

-Sid Vicious

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    O, Ok makes more sense now.

Sanby

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really cool piece man, the only thing i have to say is look at the shadows, cause this thing is suppose to be huge so it should cast some kind of shadow besides the ones under tee 2 front legs. just a thought.

my thread

my site

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by waterdog
    really cool piece man, the only thing i have to say is look at the shadows, cause this thing is suppose to be huge so it should cast some kind of shadow besides the ones under tee 2 front legs. just a thought.
    actually, the shadow stretches far to our left, it's right, which is what would happen with the angle the sun is at and the supposed height of the thing. If it were lower to the ground, or the sun higher up, you would see the shadow closer to being directly below the structure.

Cheers,
    ~Oreg.

Character of the Week :: A weekly character exploration activity.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Since the moon is up the sun should be low cause thats the way it works and it would cast long shadows. I would like to see somthing in the forground now. I would also say that it is a bit plain but its a background and if you gave it to much detail it might take away from the whatever you are gonna put in the forground. I think its perfect.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    depends if its earth , with its one moon.

e.g. - saturn has 30 of varrying size.so they could be anywhere in the sky.

if its another planet then the atmospher would alter the colouration of the scene too giving a false sunset mood maybe.light source would still be a single sun though i guess, which would make the shadow on the moon the wrong angle a worst.

something in the foreground would be good even to confirm scale.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice work Woodrodius. I like the concept, and the pose is very good.

However, as I mentioned earlier, this picture is killed by a lack of quality texturing. The texture that you have on it right now is crude, and looks like a zoomed in pic of rust or desert camoflauge. The pic doesn't do anything to show that this thing is monstrously huge. A detailed texture that has mechanical components worked in would do wonders for the model, and really make it shine.

Aside from that, the reviews on cgtalk.com were also correct. The legs are too sharp, and at least one step of bevelling is in order for the edges. This will make it look more realistic.

Keep up the good work!

Es fließt durch meine Venen, Es schläft in meinen Tränen
    Es läuft mir aus den Ohren, Herz und Nieren sind Motoren

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    of course theirs always room for improvment, espiecally when your still in school.
    I take it you go to art institute from the name of the class? which one?

im going to agree with everyone else, the textures need to go and you gotta figure some new ones out. lets look into it here, figure these things out, what kind of metal is it? or is it some space age never been seen before metal? well is it really heavy, or really light? if its really heavy, look into rusted steel and such.
    you said you want it to look like an old tanker with red? well is it all red? or just high lights of red? either way, its not going to be as spoted as you have it. the red is going to be very primary on it while the scratches and rust will be spoted and what not but it will not come even close to taking over as much of the texture as you have it.

a great tutorial for texturing in max is on 3dtotal.com under max tutorials near the bottom, its called worn metal or somthing, look into it.

as for the city goes, well there is a bunch of stuff I could say for it.

the spider legs are awsome, I think its a great idea, but I dont like the stance of it. make it so the city in the middle is lower more, if you look at a spider when it stops it is not high on its legs, it is sagging in the middle. do that it will look great.

the legs, they lack detail to me, throw in some nuts and bolts. figure out a cooler way to make the elboq joint of the upper and lower arm connect, that sphere isnt cutting it.

also what about a glass dome covering the city? from what I can see its kind of a forest area on the city? I cant tell really. well even if its mobile, a forest like that wont survive in the desert even if it is mobile, and if its not fact remains the same, I doubt people will like sand storms in their living space.

Definatly put depressions in the sand, it looks way to clear right their.

anyways, good job man, its a awsome concepts, if you fix some of those things and what others have said you will have a great folio piece.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    looks awesome.. has a really classic look to it. no crits, except add something in there for a better sense of scale, like scraggley bushes, or lizard footprints etc.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    it would be cool seeing green foliage spilling out making it look more like a walking oasis/paradise city maybe amp up some detail on the close legs as well, but pretty good and clean

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    woodrodius, like your idea of a walking city. if you want you could check out archigram (google them) it was a group of architects in the 60ies that did some really nice designs of walking cities aswell. this background class sounds like a really nice assignment man.

i agree with some of the crits on texture mentioned before but the major point i have with your rendering as it is right now is that if you wouldnt have told me it was a city i wouldnt have thought it was one. i think it looks more like a giant walker robot, and not enough like a city.

i think this is because of, one; the position you put it in (we see mostly legs, no city) and two; lack of detail/scale sense of atmosphere. it seems you could greatly improve this piece if we can see cars, people and actual buildings in and around your city. now maybe this is just a preliminary view (this is a 3d project right?) so you might have done all that and not shown it here.. zooming in on the actual living area and perhaps framing the pic with the walker legs could be good i think.

anyway, keep it up! looking forward to see some updates.

tensai

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I like the concept, the drawing and dust on it.
    Maybe you can show some reasons to make a walking city; it can be some sandworms or other dangerous creatures. Or there can be hard changes between seasons and force people to immigrate all the time (i dont know how to show this one).
    Also i would like to see the night one.
    Just ideas. But it is already good.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Really "essential" style! I very like it!
    I think that you should to show more of city! (...only my humble opinion )

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Nice piece, but it could be much better with much more details. It reminds me of some sci-fi pieces of the seventies, to which I've some sentimental tie (sorry for my bad english, hope you'll understand what I mean!).

Anyway, you're on the right way to make good things in the future.

-Max

www.maxbertolini.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    i think the biggest thing is that there is nothing to really tell you its size. there is nothing to reference. i cant tell theres a city up there. for all i know it is a tiny camera in some lady's purse out on the beach.

probably make the city bigger with more buildings and tiny detail to add the grandiose size.

looks really nice though.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.