Thanks

Google invisibility!

Does *anyone* have any idea why google seems to hate me?

searching for my website in yahoo/msn, i come up first in the results, but google maintains complete ignorance of my existence

i'd been under the impression that the number of links to your site bumps it up the rankings, and if thats the case the number of posts i've made here with links in my sig should have been more than enough

what is this madness! and more importantly whats a boy to do?

bah!

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    How long ago did you submit to it? Who did you submit through? Mine took about a month to show up on Google...

Thanks
    Having your site listed in the Yahoo directory is apparently a big help when trying to increase your Google exposure - link. Having the right metatags on your site makes a big difference, too.

Useful info here - search engine submission tips.

Took about three months before my site appeared on Google.

Thanks
    Thanked 11,435 Times in 2,935 Posts
    you can always pay google the 20 bucks and get it registered there since they havent found it.

j

Thanks
    the weird thing is, i've submitted it multiple times to google (i've had the site up for ooooh almost a year now) only for it to show up briefly a month later before quickly disappearing again.

i cant say i've a grand master plan for wanting it to work, it'd just be nice if it did...so $20 to pay them to fix it? might be worth doing to stop the gnashing of teeth.

Thanks
    I know your emphasis is on visual work, but I think more words -- more writing -- might help Google index your site and return it in searches

Thanks
    Googles pageranking system is complex, but in short, it's based on a sort of mutual network of knowledge. The more unique sites that link to you, the better. A million links on one site won't help your page rank much. Also, the search term is taken into account, and the content of the various pages. For example, if I talk about Aidan Wilson in my blog, and link to your site, then that will increase the likelyhood of your site showing up when searching for Aidan Wilson. If I talk about "art" in my blog and link your site, your site is that much more likely to show up when searching for the term "art."

Google tries to ignore things like closed loops of sites referring to themselves and a bunch of other complex (and secret) methods of attempting to weed out false link weighting.

In the end though, when I do this , it shows that the only site linking to your site at all is Concept Art.org. Given that there are other people with the same name as you (including, apparently, an actor or someone with a page on IMDB), they probably have more links pointing at them from pages talking about someone named "Aidan Wilson" than your site, thus they get a higher rank than you.

If you want your site to link higher, your best bet is to try to get your friends sites to link you.

Of course, according to google, I only have one outsite site linking back to me, and I know that's wrong...so maybe that "link:" feature isn't working the way I think it is.

Here is a technical article on how Googles page rank works.
    Here's a more laymans explaination.

Good luck in getting your rank up!
    "Every generation sees the past though the lens of its own time." - Thom Hartmann

Thanks
    fuktifino : now THATS an answer!

helps clear up a few things and no mistake!

Thanks

the lowdown imo

Here's my lowdown from my experience in search engine ranking with google.

Treat google like a seperate entity from all the other search engines. Studies have shown that google is more widely used than any other search engine, but not by a far lead. If your site is ranking highly with many other search engines and directories (very important) then google's algorithms will eventually have to start crawling you.

Google runs off of a non-human based indexing system. Any popularity with more than 1 site linking to yours, even some search engines, will increase your ranking.

Getting ranked highly is big business and a very competitive market. With google...it's all a popularity contest.

Take into consideration this: the typical blogger/index/art site will not link up to crap artwork or a crap site. The more people that love your site and artwork, the more people will link up to you and increase your ranking.

Having a bunch of friends link to you and doing the same for them helps. Just keep posting messages on forums and making sure you never have anything like broken pages or images on your site. Update frequently and produce quality work and get involved in the scene....That's better than paying BARCLAY millions of dollars for seo work.

almost forgot...don't keep re-submitting to google...they consider it spam.

And your site rocks
    Last edited by mordecaidesign; December 16th, 2004 at 05:32 PM. Reason: almost forgot