Following

Link redesign

Reply With Quote Reply With Quote

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    color-wise?

well, theres really a very limited pallette and it hasnt worked to well... the hues in the skin are pink, pruple blue, just like the colours of the rest of it... theres no sense of the natural hues affecting the colour where the light hits the skin and so on.

The colours as i said are limited, a more expressive pallette would do well. Anatomically you have some ok bits and some parts that are formulaic anime style which in this context isnt too much of a good thing. Especially the feet, and the face most importantly.

In your torso area the light is a bit confused and muggy. try to simplify the shapes round here.

The lighting on the ruffles round his knees is fantastic. Apply some of that technique to the rest and you should be fine.

Finally, you havnt really thought about your image composition as a whole i dont think. Recently there was a paintover in the finished section u might have seen of someones interpretation of a skeletal mage from World of Warcraft. Cant remember who did it but it was a great example of how changing a little in the composition can change a lot.

By composition i dont just mean the shape, i mean thinking about where to hit the figure with light and where to let it recede into darkness. What colours to put in the background to bring contrast to areas of attention and diminish it in others. What is happening at the moment is that you have a very universal light source and the confused/washed out lighting in the middle cuts the figure in half so i dont know where im looking? Face? Floating feet? Stomach/belt/costuming?? Please make me look somewhere.

Checklist of things to create attention somewhere:

Value contrast (light next to dark creates contrast).
    Saturation contrast
    Hue contrast
    Shape contrast (big and small)

You probably have the common sense to figure it out, but just in case:
    if you want focus on the face try putting it in the biggest contrast. Light, saturated, warm face against dark, unsaturated cool bg.

Once this is all done, you migh twant to thin kabout posing. Having a dynamic pose can really quadruple the quality of an image, even if the anatomy on it isnt 100%. Its worth pushing yourself to doing thoe kind of poses early on and you can learn how to correct the anatomy on them as you go.

Jon Fosters poses are great, look at some of his stuff.

Hope this helped you some

Cheers -f

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    btw im deleting your other (redundant) thread and also feel free to ask me any more specific questions you have (perhaps re anatomy?) here or in PM

Thanks
    Thanked 1,308 Times in 307 Posts
    Follows
    Following
    I'm not really sure what you're trying to go for. The costume works on it's own but as a new version of Link there's very little that reflects his world or suggests that it is actually Link. It's a little too bikerish and gothic I think.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

in the world of money

in the world of money everyone smiles.

a depressed hero is kinda not exciting unless we know he sad
    like some characters.

Darrell Bowman
    Freelance render

Blog This!

Draw Draw Draw

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the crits.
    Your eally made some good points there, Form.

Exo, I'm not really sure myself what I was going for, but I can tell that it's not there to reflect Link's world, maybe a whole new Link? Or a simple char design?

What I would like to know, maybe you can address me to the right place to learn, is how to select the color that is just right.
    Figuring out how a color blends to the other, radiosity and stuff like that. I looked at the radiosity thread, it helped a bit, but it didn't help to define the right color.
    Is it just from experience, or is there an important article I should read?

And I'm not completely sure what Darrel meant...

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Darrell are you stoned?? hehe.

i think he just means if its designed with a commercial project in mind he should be pullign a cliche expression, or at least have a context to be the 'lone horse' ala squall in final fantasy 8

as for learning color, its hard to find resources on the net for that precisely.

Dig around, you may find something, search on here for some tutes by Ron Lemen (fredflickstone) he has a few good ones. If your really stuck pm jason manley, he is a color virtuoso, but he's very busy so he may or may not get back to you quickly!!

Most professionals will answer your queries eventually.

Ideally though, doing a real life course would be very much worth the money. And furthermore, it might be worth your while to learn it with traditional media as opposed to digital.

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.