Sketchbook: Chandan's Kickass Sketchbook :) - 24th Aug.

Join 500,000+ Artists

Its' free and it takes less than 10 seconds!

Join the #1 Art Workshop - LevelUpJoin Premium Art Workshop

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Chandan's Kickass Sketchbook :) - 24th Aug.

Last edited by Chandan; August 24th, 2006 at 05:33 PM.
    Reply With Quote Reply With Quote  

2. Hide this ad by registering as a member
    Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey dude!

Off the top of my head i'd say lose the "hairy line" thing. A nice strong decided line does wonders and helps the whole piece flow better. And you do reference work, which I haven't done in ages (and i need to, too...) which is always very good.

Keep it up!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the reply man. Anyways, what do you mean by the 'hairy line thing'? Do you mean work for stronger lines instead of light sketchy ones?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some old stuff. Will update again tommorow.

Yay for Hogarth.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You hands are looking better...
    Your eyes and noses suffer from classic beginnerisms...

those lines/shadings you keep wanting to draw in from the inside corner of the eyes to the tip of the nose... pretend they don't exist. catch yourself drawing them, and then dont. its one of those 'drawing what you know and not what you see' things.

with the eyes:
    pay attention to the size of the iris. you're drawing them HUGE!
    on the eyelids, in life your top eyelid casts much stronger shadows than the bottom, also casts shadow right on the white of the eye. your eyes appear like cutouts because of the evenly dark line all the way around.

when you're doing those small head studies, try this: leave out the bottom eyelid altogether. don't even draw it. it won't look funny, i promise. Don't believe me, check out the some of the other sketchbook threads and their smaller head sketches: the eye is very expressfully but very simply marked mostly by just a line for the upper lid and the iris.

-ryan

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey you have a great start going there. My best advice would just be to draw from reference and life as much as possible! When ever you can, just draw, its amazing the results that you can see. Do muscle and bone studies and pose studies and just draw! You're well on your way, keep it up!

Check out my Website! http://www.davehiemstra.ca------------------

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    @Ryan - thanks for the crits man. You're right, my eyes and noses look retarded and sometimes even my lips. But i'mm working on it; i'll especially work on the eyes thing. Thanks again!

@Dave - you're absolutely right. I've seen some good results this year after a couple of weeks just by drawing from life. Can't stop now!

I'm currently going through Drawing From The Right Side of The Brain and i don't know how to make that cardboard thing with the thread. Well I kind of do but in one of the assignments I have to have a clear sheet of paper stuck on it and have to place the board on my hand and draw it. Just wanted to ask if I could use overhead sheets for the clear sheet.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Progression!

Already you have shown progression, even from your first post. It's obviouse to me you have the ability to learn and get better at drawing, and I've got some suggestions for you. As a fellow artist trying to progress, i find that studying anatomy books and drawing from them is VERY helpful in the learning process (especially when trying to draw without a reference). Already I see you are doing this with your drawings of the skeleton. You should definately purchase a book on anatomy and study often (if you haven't done so already.) Your rendering is looking good so far, but of course their is always room for improvement there as well. I suggest you take a look at MetalWind's sketchbook. He is one of the best examples at someone who makes it a priority to constantly study anatomy in his sketchbook. Just draw constantly and you will progress very quickly.

-Abra

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the suggestions Abra. Really appreciate you coming in and taking a peek. About the anatomy books, I have two. Dynamic Figure Drawing from Mr. Hogarth and Anatomy for The Artist by Tom Flint. My next step is using the books; at this stage I am mainly looking at reference pics of poses and trying to convert them into basic shapes. And yes I absolutely agree, an artist should never stop drawing.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    You've got the right idea, man! Keep it up! Get yourself some anatomy books and learn a bit about proportion. Keep up those studies and work from life as often as you can! You'll be where you want to be in no time at all!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks for the looks Zebz. I just got Anatomy Lessons from the Great Masters by Robert Hale and Terrence Coyle. Amazing book;i've read 3 pages so far and i've learned so much it's not even funny. Definately worth it. Sorry no post today, had to study for Math. Ughh. Anyways. expect an update tommorow for sure.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Still Life - A wooden cup
    Self portrait based on Arcimboldo's style.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Damn I need a scanner
    Comments and crits needed.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Quote Originally Posted by Chandan
    Comments and crits needed.
    okiii dokiiii

ur approach .. is really good .. .. i dunno how it seems to u but... !

u should practice perspective drawing some more ... its the only fundamental u need to experience drawing

u already subdevided bodys into simple geometrie - which is a really good task to understand and learn how to draw body movement

::: subdevide other bodys in simple geometrie 2 -> cubes and cylinders - add vanishing points to indicate distance - u allready made some pics with that ... practice more .. its a really good exercise * iam doing that since ... 4 month ..its worth it !!!! *

most of the parcels can be transtaled into easy gemetrie - chest head hands fingers ... cubes arms legs throat cylinders..
    houses cars trucks technical stuff.. ur pc monitor ur keyboard... just cubes

draw and rotate cubes ... rotating cubes gives a good feeling for foreshorteting ..maybe cube drawing sounds fukin boring but its an awesome exercise.. and its really hard to practice that with more complex geometrie like cars trucks or faces... the base still is a cube .. all information about 3dness and volume are in there.. a face and car and trucks are in fact just more complex cubes...u can draw a face which is setup with .. 20 cubes and u can draw a super realistic face which has.. maybe 2500 cubes..

subdeviding a face coast some time but.. if u do that.. u get absolute awareness of its surface.. u could draw it in full 3dness... 12900 variations ^^ .. iam trying to understand face surface.. since 4 month.. its hard but .. worth it again ! gives me a good pure feeling about my object my surface and its behaviour when i rotate it + perspectiv + vanishing point

depenjding on the cubes rotaten the shapes which setupr ur face and eys and lips.. change because i see them from diffrent viewpoint now .. - u made that with these eyes u draw - take a lil box and rotate it in ront of ur eye..and move it in front of ur eye ..from left to right and so on... keep ur eyes looking straight in front of u - moving ur eyes will change the viewpoint* then draw that cube in diffrent rotation states...

... practice the drawing fundamentals*** and u will feel urself imrpoving evry single day

*** fundamentals : symmetrie!!! perspective which includes vanishing point !! and foreshortening! ... practice that.. and in some years u just can draw evrything almost perfectly

keep it up !

*u can browse my latest posts i made.. i postet lotsa stuff about that *see above* in there .. maybe this helps u too

Last edited by -sideshowbob-; December 23rd, 2004 at 11:07 AM. Reason: chek sig

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thank YOU BOB! Great crits and suggestions!!! Will update tomm!
    Can't wait till boxing day! Finally getting a scanner. Then it's drawing everyday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Finally got a scanner! Here's some stuff i've done over the winter break. Some what happy with the quality but not the quantity.

Chandan's Kickass Sketchbook :) - 24th Aug. [Copied from the great Menter's work for future reference and studies. All credit goes to him. Thank's for the reference Mentler, it really helped.]

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Thanks
    Follows
    Following

Will do some arm and hand studies tommorow. Really need them!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Some hands for today.

BTW, if you see anything wrong that I am doing, please inform me because I don't want it to become a habit. And if anyone has a link to any good head tutorials online please post them because I am having some trouble with heads.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    really g00000d chandy

i see.. u have that dynamic anatomy drawing book from burne hogarth ?!

if so.. there is a part for head too..of no.. thers a book about portrait drawing available at amazon * theres also another hogarth book which is a collection of all his books it bringt together : body anatomy + hand + portrait + bit cloth and folds and bit shadow shading* he adopts the parts about light shadow and portrait into seperat books... try get on of these

:: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...glance&s=books

i can give u some tips n tricks on how i proceed and how i learned head shape drawing/understanding

another thing is..evry line u draw is alligned in 3d space.. what u dont see is the foreshortetning-amount of these lines..
    u can draw a short line which is alligned into space.. u dont see the lines distance.. on ur paper its short..maybe ____

but in fact.. depending on what that line represents.. it can be a part of something that is 1000meters high or long.. so that line i drew.. is almost foreshortened .. when u change ur viewpoinr or rotate the object that line becomes longer *rotate ur pencil in front of ur eye

from front u see something like -> O <- *zoomed* ^^
    and from side u see something like ----- or =======
    its like a cylinder
    now rotate ... from ------- full lenght u get --- in 45° degree rotate untill u have full rotate and look at the front again...

between side and front view which represent 0° and 90° orientation.. u have 88 other degree orientations u can draw.. *full 3D is 360^360 = 129000 orientations when rotating.. some parts get covered by some other parts * nose and mouth volume are tricky*

i just took me the bottom top side and profile view to get a rid of the face shape.. then i made studies from front and profile view.. and i rotate the shape.. that it looks like the head is looking up or down.. this gives a better shape controle.. its the shape u draw.. but u rotate it over ur papers surface.. u can rotate ur paper or ur head.. *try that with cubes first*

to understand body parts.. u have to look at them from at least 3 views *front profile top* .. keep in mind that there is a third dimension

this is most tricky part :> because i cant actually DRAW 3D.. i only can SEE it 3D.. the piece stays 2d..doenst matter what i draw

i can draw a line with corners.. i can see that line as a 2d shape.. or i can see how its aligned into 3d space * I decide how much each line is foreshortened* !!!!

:: subdevide ur stuff into cubes * fingers are 3 cubes* ur arms = cylinders ..l egs 2 ..chest.. rip cage a cube head .. a cube ... and so on..
    :: study body parts volumes
    :: draw !simplified! bodys made out of cylinders and cubes
    ::: add some more detailed to cubical body setup -
    :: subdevided body parts can become more complex cubes
    keep it !

cya on msmn

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Hey thanks for the long crits Bob. I did some basic shape rotating yesterday.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    yeeaa u got the basic idea ..

draw some varies of these cubes.. long ones wide .. flat... something like that

try draw cubes along ur body pard dimensions... i mean.. draw a cube which is similar to lower arm and upper arm lenght... and rip cage and stuff like that * helps u chekking proportions*

keep it uup >,.<

msn ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Are you on MSN a lot? I'm asking because since you've added me I haven't seen you on. Maybe there's something wrong; i'm online almost all the time.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    wasnt online yesterday.. but today i will !

hope to cya then !

whats ur time zone ?

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Bob has given some good advice. Keep drawing. Thats the most important thing. You WILL improve. Looking forward to seeing you around more.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Oh, and stop beating yourself down. It does nothing for you. The title of this thread 'crappy sketchbook' does nothing for you and it makes folks not want to come in and help you. Quit that!

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Crappy sketchbook?! Pfft! This isn't the least bit crappy, there's loads of visible improvement! You're doing great work here, dude! Keep at it and you can change your thread to Chandan's Kickass Sketchbook >=]

Only the heart intrinsically noble can succeed...
    Check out My Sketchbook: Leave critiques, encouragement, and good jokes within.

www.enmls.com

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    Thanks a ton (tonne) guys! I needed that kick start. I have recently been bogged down by math and cisco exams Stupid high school. I can't wait till next semester though; gonna take my art to the next level b/c i barely have any hard courses.

Will post something today.

Thanks
    Follows
    Following
    I tried to paint apples...did not succeed. Will try agian though.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Members who have read this thread: 0

There are no members to list at the moment.